I have just spent the best part of two weeks trying to connect myself wirelessly so that I can use my laptop at home too. Not too difficult I hear you say, not so says my computer.

I took out a new one year contract with Tiscali thus recieving a free wireless modem (Why they are called that beggars belief as it has 3 wires going into it as oppose to just two for my normal broad band!!)

I connect it all up correctly as prompted by the cd that came with it. At the end, there is a quick spin and whirring whilst the computer tries to find the wireless, result, an end screen informing me that the computer cannot find it !!.

So we get on to Tiscali (Here is the big problem , the account is in the wifes name, so they will only talk to my wife !!) After pressing this button for this problem and that button for that that problem, I am finally talking to somebody (!0 minutes later , I kid you not!!) in Mumbai who's limited English immediately sets the alarm bells ringing!!!! (I also had to convince him that I was SWMBO!!) Any way give them their due they tried , failed , gave up, the phone went dead. So I calls again the next day , same routine, 10 minutes of paying for a call I shouldn't have to make, I am connected to happy larry in Mumbai again , who again reads from his script that I am not to worry and he shall "Surely sort out your problem for you" . He didn't!!, so I gave up on him and ask to speak to "a supervisor", 3 hours later I was still waiting !!! .

I finally found a free phone number that is also a direct line to a tech guy. Still no joy so I give up , for a day,! I eventually get through to some body who tells me that I need a wireless USB adaptor (Dongle) I purchase one for £24 (After Dell had tried to charge me over £50 for one.) It arrives promptly and I connect it up , re boot everything and voilà ,,,,,,,Nothing.

So back on the phone to Gunga din who tries and tries and still can't connect me, he tells me there is a problem with the line to which I reply " How can there be when my broadband and telephone are working perfectly.?" He has also in the meantime disconnected me from the Internet too and is then unable to reconnect me !!!

This goes on for days (Approx 30 calls to the land of the infidels) and I am at the end of my tether, when I finally get a call from "The supervisor" ,.She was very helpful but still unable to connect me!! In the end I asked her to just connect me back to the internet which, lo and behold , she was unable to do !!! I am now pulling my hair out , she promises to call back today at 5pm to sort it out, at 6 pm I call Hells kitchen again and tell them my life story one more time before I am allowed to get a word in edge ways and tell them I am waiting on a call from them still!! all apologies are offered and I told that some one will call at 6.30 pm ,,,,,,,,7.25pm, nothing, I am back on to them and after going through the same diatribe I get told that someone will call back straight away. 9pm nothing, same rigmarole and I am promised faithfully that some one will call before 10pm. At midnight I spat my dummy and demanded to speak to a manager, Ghandi comes on and tells me , firstly there is a problem with my phone line, which I poo poo, then there is a problem with the satellite, (I am almost in hysterics now) then there is a problem with my computer, I am now ready to crawl down the phone line and kick his ar5e, but I still kept my cool and asked him to try to reconnect me, he then wouldn't deal with me because I was not the account holder and that he would only deal with SWMBO. So I go and fetch a disgruntled wife from her slumbers and the ignorant little turd then starts giving my wife a lecture about letting other people use her computer !!!!! I am now all for buying a ticket on the next plane , as I can see he is upsetting her.

Eventually I get to talk to him again and ask for his name which he won't give me , until I told him that I had taped this call "For training purposes" and could just rewind and find , all of a sudden he was able to help and I was reconnected within 2 minutes.!!!!

Result,,,, I am back on line (Don't know for how long) and am changing my ISP first thing tomorrow. Any body know of any good 'uns ???

PS he also informed me that I needed my LAN card checking, whatever that is when it's at home .

We's on Virgin.......aint had a problem once.....still got the free wireless router in the cupboard ( only got one computer so wireless seemed pointless ).......the only thing we have different to most is we pay a little over the top as we have a bill sent and NOT a direct debit.

Yeahhh......I'm on Virgin cable. No probs here either....I sympathise with Beefy. I've had to deal with call centres in Mumbai before. The usually end up putting the phone down when they can't answer your query. Result is........I wont deal with companies that have call centres in Mumbai. If I have a prob with the comp (rare) I know a man that can.........LOL

can you get virgin through your phone line?? We don't have cable here.

You can get Virgin without having cable service. The service is available down copper telephone wires but the speeds are lower.

VIRGIN WEBSITE

offers:

National services up to 16Mb! Our National broadband and phone services are available to all. Unlike our cable services, they're delivered down your phone line - in just the same way other companies offer it. You can get nippy broadband and great value phone packages wherever you live.

Click here to Check your Broadband Speed

Cheers for that info Littlebro .

I assume that you still have to pay line rental on top of that??

I'm on NTL at home and here is the speed test results

9016155.jpg

Not bad eh? to say we are on the 10mb tarrif compusmash

But at the office, we use FASTHOSTS check out the rates. - the ADSL connection through BT phone line at work seems much faster than NTL

Well I last was online on Saturday evening, I tried to have a peek online before going to bed at 1am and guess what ?? yup gone off line again, so back on to the land of the infidels , to be told that the problem was with my computer now!!

I had to call a local IT bloke out this morning, and he has taken an hour to sort it and get my wireless set up and running.

Turns out I didn't need to purchase the wireless dongle , all it was , was that a Tiscali engineer had deleted a drive on my computer !!! I have been on to Tiscali and demanded a refund of the £40 it has cost me to call out a techie and the £24 I paid for a dongle. I am waiting a call back (Not holding my breath though)

A bit of a result , I have spent ages on the phone to the land of the great satan, being told that I had not contacted them before the 21st regarding having problems, !!! I informed gunga din that I have letters from them dated 15th and 16th April and I am quite willing to photocopy and send to them as proof of earlier contact!!, the Herbert then gets a bit appologetic (Still denying any earlier contact but I have managed to get a refund of ,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,£8.40, for my inconvenience, and a further £6 , for my loss of brodband.

I then tell them that I am still going to cancel as I am still £64 out of pocket , and I am given a phone number to do so.

Watch this space

Don't start me off, try and sort things out with British Gas. I usually have peasant chats with these poor, ripped off graduates in Bombay, sorry Mumbai, lets get the name right, whatever it means.

British Gas overseas operatives are complete liars and cheats, watching their backs, so are BG, try and e-mail them with their artificial address. It took a lot of whingeing and complaining to end up with a real British person who sorted out the enquiry straight away.

Perhaps if everyone in the country said b@ll@cks to overseas call operators, who are doing us out of jobs and themselves no favours, then something would be done about it.

I'm refusing to deal with them anymore, there's always an alternative line of enquiry in this country if you can put up with finding it, if everyone did the same, refused to deal with them and made life unpleasant for the companies that made us have to put up with this, perhaps they'd come to their corporate senses and do something about it.

[. I usually have peasant chats with these poor, ripped off graduates in Bombay, sorry Mumbai, lets get the name right, whatever it means. ]

Freudian slip there methinks !!!!!!

Mumbai takes it's name from a godess Mumbadevi who is concidered to be mother India.

Try this site for alternate phone numbers for most places, I find it annoying that I have free day and night calls and still ended up paying for most of them as they were all 0870 or 0845 this site gives alternate numbers

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

It still doesn't stop you getting through to India but at least the calls are free!!

And yes PatPetal they do hang up on you if they can't fix your problem, and then lie about it claiming you had not contacted them in the first place!!

[. I usually have peasant chats with these poor, ripped off graduates in Bombay, sorry Mumbai, lets get the name right, whatever it means. ]

Freudian slip there methinks !!!!!!

OOPS!!!

On my last escapade the nice British lady asked me whether I had been treated rudely by Ventrakar Singh or Gungha Din, I couldn't stop laughing, nor could she.

It's very sad though, because these people are highly qualified graduates who are being exploited themselves, if you ever get the chance to have a chat with some of them, they're not all hideous, it's quite sad and enlightning at the same time, they get promised careers in the UK by the evil conglomerates that employ them, I feel sorry for them, they must have to put up with a lot of insults from a country on the other side of the world, of which they know little about.

I've had dealings with one or two...mostly polite, but sometimes hard to understand their accents...how the poor devils get on when confronted with a broad speaking Glaswegian I hate to think.