Sam Morton`s Nottingham childhood.

• 2 weeks later...
In today`s Guardian is an article about Sam`s early life in Nottingham.

Well worth a read!!

Hi Stan, Samantha Mortons first film made here in Nottingham was a thing called The Token King and I played her mum in it!!!! She was as natural and as down to earth as a breath of fresh air and I told her with her talent the sky was the limit. And so its proved.

Wrote a whole burb comparing Samantha with Lancashire-born Shirley Anne Field,who had a similar upbringing in care etc.but the computer swallowed it! Interesting, but unlike Sam,Shirley did not seem to reach her fulll potential.

The Token King was largely filmed at Frank Wheldon Comprehinsive in Carlton, before it got burnt down (My old School ) and the surrounding area. It was made by an old school chum of mine , Ray Kilby, and was supposedly semi autobiographical

Didn't know that beefsteak.... what year was it filmed?What was the film about? God I hated that school.... judging by the performance on the league tables it has got much worse!

The gist of the story was:- Boy wants 'Chopper' bike , parents tell him they can't afford it. Boy comes up with money making scheme , in that he buys the dinner tokens off kids who want to go to the chippy, at less than face value, when the dinners atre rubbish (He has inside info as to what is on the menu that day) and sells them back at a higher price when it's something good .Thus raising the funds to buy a 'Chopper', all based around a musical dance routine held in the old Quadrangle.

A bit far fetched I know, but there you go!!