Sneinton Dale! WOW! My introduction was when I started work as a Lab assistant at St Bernadette's school early in 1968. I was there for two years before I realised the pay was crap.

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I grew up in sneinton in the 70's & 80's leaving in 1997. I can remember Frank Shaw's the shoe shop, Freeston's butchers and there was also a Spar shop on the corner of Ena Avenue. Polly Perkins is still there! Well was last visit this year. Georgios chippy is also still there. There was a " purple" shop, past Rossington Rd we used to call the "tuffy" shop, sold all the sweets in jars and chocolate behind the glass counters, was a special treat on a Sunday to go and spend 20p there!! Loads have changed now, certainly different going back to visit. Such a shame.

Giorgios chippy. Welcome  Arlette. Enjoy our site. You mentioned Giorgios chippy. I presume its some relative ofGiorgios continental store that was in Sneinton. Is it the same one?

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2009 at 11:49 PM, BAZZER said:

hiya Lyn,

It was new when I went there in '53.

No, I don't remember any of the teachers,,,, (there was a young lady teacher that was murdered whilst on a cycling holiday in France).

I must have only been there for a few months I s'pose, cos I was still 5 or maybe six when we moved to Carlton (Board School).

I remember a couple of kids from around us (Elford Rise),, there were Stuart & Pamela Loverseed,,, Glen Messom (?!),,, Mick & Sue Healey and a lad called Arthur from Rossington Road, & I seem to recall a Blanchard (tho' not a christian name)

I can't remember any of my classmates names either (I do have a class photo which I want to put on here when I can find it),,,, one of them was a Savage girl (on this forum I think) and a pretty girl with blonde ringlets I seem to recall !?

I remember throwing up one day when having outdoor lessons ! It was a scorching hot day (hence outside) & I was with my back to the sun. The caretaker was called to throw sawdust on it,,,,,,, all schools seemed to have buckets of sawdust in those days, just for that eventuality !

Baz

Hi Baz, Glen Messom was in my class at school 4C he would be 72 years old now