I lived on Loughborough Avenue from 1958 to 1967 when we moved up on to Oakdale Road in Carlton

Can any one remember the shops and businesses on Sneinton Dale in the 60s and 70s?

I remember Wilf & Grace Paton's Mace Grocery Store and their newsagents both at the bottom of Loughborough Avenue (used to get my Airfix kits and Corgi cars there!)

I know Wilf also ran the sweet kiosk at the old Ice Rink and in his later years a kiosk on Victory market

I remember Blanchards the barbers further up the Dale, me dad took me there for my haircut (they had mucky mags I seem to remember!!!) and the Fina petrol station opposite

I also remember another toy/gift shop...Black Cat Library.. they sold Dinky Toys!

I vaguely remember Terry's the butchers, a cake shop and a small Co-op

A cinema that became a factory

Just off the Dale was the White House pub... the Lord Nelson I think that had a really nice garden....Kimberly Ales I think

I now live 200miles away but on my last visit I drove down the Dale, what a shock all speed bumps and crossings, must be horrible on the no3 and 59 buses now

• Upvote 1

There used to be loads of petrol retailers in that area. One on the junction of Oakdale Road and Parkdale Road; where the railway bridge used to be (now a Police Station); then there was a FINA which itself had replaced an old garage and is now The Pak Supermarket and finally the asylum seekers "garage" opposite the windmill. All closed.

And the 3, 59 and 48 (Sundays only) have long been consigned to history they are now the 23, 23A and 24.

Do you remember a shoe shop called Shaw's?

Re that Railway Bridge, not on Oakdale, that was further up My Aunt and uncle lived above Dry Cleaners opposite Wembley Club, think a garage was there too? They blew that bridge up one Sunday morning, aunt said there was a big bang! :laugh: Last time I was up the dale I noticed all the shops now Asian, wonder where all the eye-ties have gone?

used to be one, caretaker at oakdale launderette, used to grow tanantella type tomatoes in the boiler house, I used to nick em! still have "offsprings" from them growing in my greenhouse

Heres a pic of Sneinton Dale Railway Bridge looking towards town dated 1905

sd3.jpg

Do you remember the farm that was just up from the railway bridge on Sneinton Dale? They still had milking cows there in the middle 70s. They built an estate on it in the late 70s but the bit of land where the farmhouse was is still vacant.

Do you remember the farm that was just up from the railway bridge on Sneinton Dale? They still had milking cows there in the middle 70s. They built an estate on it in the late 70s but the bit of land where the farmhouse was is still vacant.

It`ll be there till the cows come home,Bamber!

"I could dance with you till the cows come home. Better still, I'll dance with the cows and you come home."

(Groucho Marx.)

Re. shops on the dales..... my grandfather (amongst many other shops) had a shop on the corner of I think Lyndhusrt road. This was a general grocers and according to my uncle was a big mistake as he lost money as he couldn't buy stuff cheaper than what the first 'supermarkets' were doing. Not sure what time frame this was without speaking to my uncle (some time in 50s I imagine) I have looked for it on google street view but the property looks like a house now so they must have filled in shop windows...... quite sure it was opposite school?

I remember the shoe shop, think the owner was Frank Shaw, used to get my school shoes there

I remember the farm and the old railway bridge, I also remember a policeman on duty at the farm gate when there was a foot & mouth outbreak

I was born on Haywood Street and must have moved just after I was born, to Rossington Road for a while, & Blanchards was my first barber,,,, in fact when we moved to Carlton & Gedling, my dear old dad still went to Blanchard's every fortnight.

I attended the brand new Greenwood School. I thought it was at the end of a dead-end Sneinton Boulevard. Every day I'd walk past the door of a guy I'd meet later in life, who became my best mate Johnny Fry.

I remember the Bull rings at Elford Rise, where we'd have competitions about who had the biggest bonfires.

We moved to Carlton when I was about 6, so don't recall a lot from those days, tho' I did work & play around the area later on.

Baz

Hi Bazzer

What year were you at Greenwood? my husband moved there from Sneinton Boulevard when it first opened one of is best mates was Robert Blanchard the barbers son,my husband left in 1957 at Christmas,do you remember any of the teachers? Joe Morley,Scargill,Tovey,Claridge and the headmaster Skilbeck

hiya Lyn,

It was new when I went there in '53.

No, I don't remember any of the teachers,,,, (there was a young lady teacher that was murdered whilst on a cycling holiday in France).

I must have only been there for a few months I s'pose, cos I was still 5 or maybe six when we moved to Carlton (Board School).

I remember a couple of kids from around us (Elford Rise),, there were Stuart & Pamela Loverseed,,, Glen Messom (?!),,, Mick & Sue Healey and a lad called Arthur from Rossington Road, & I seem to recall a Blanchard (tho' not a christian name)

I can't remember any of my classmates names either (I do have a class photo which I want to put on here when I can find it),,,, one of them was a Savage girl (on this forum I think) and a pretty girl with blonde ringlets I seem to recall !?

I remember throwing up one day when having outdoor lessons ! It was a scorching hot day (hence outside) & I was with my back to the sun. The caretaker was called to throw sawdust on it,,,,,,, all schools seemed to have buckets of sawdust in those days, just for that eventuality !

Baz

hi bazzer. who was the savage girl that you knew cos that was my maiden name! i have got 3 older sisters but we all went to cavo school. x

I think we've been through this before.

There seems to be 2 definite and separate Savage families on here,,,,,,

I think a pair of Sisters lived on Marhill Road (Station Road, nr Netherfield), that I'm sure went to Greenwood,,, but not related to you.

There is a Savage in my school photo (Margaret) 4th from right in front row. Although this is Gedling School (c 1962) there were many kids from Carlton there, who actually lived closer to Cavo. I moved from Cavo after 2 years in about '61, so did 2 years at each school. Not sure where Margaret hails from - sorry. Know her (or anyone else on the photo) ?{{{Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3}}}

Baz

PS: Am still trying to find the names of a pair of sisters that lived just across from Marhill Road mid to late 60's. They were called Val & Jackie,,,, but I can't recall their surname. Jackie married my best mate at the time, and had a daughter - Charlotte - but they drifted apart. My mate - John Traynor - is now dead & I wanted to get a bit of info on his latter years & how he died. Someone on here is married to a Paul Traynor (John had a younger brother called Paul [as well as an older brother called Pat]),,, but searches for Traynor have so far come up with nothing. So I thought I'd start with Val & Jackie,,,, but need a surname to start it off.

I'm sure some people on here will know them, or knew them.

• 11 months later...

Re the farm....my parents grew up on Sneinton Dale (I grew up in Bakersfields) & they always called it Betsy's Farm. No one's mentioned the wool/babywear shop...the cake shop was Lambert & Ones (I think) although we didn't have bought cake because it was too expensive

• 3 years later...

I lived on Sneiton dale opposite Pulman road 1954-1965 I went to all 3 greenwood schools .

The farm at top of the Dale by the bridge was Betts farm.and now just a piece of waste ground.

I was at a reunion of the Pullman road gang of the 50's last weekend what is left of us (5)post-5969-0-53803900-1376426185_thumb.jp

I lived on Loughborough Avenue from 1958 to 1967 when we moved up on to Oakdale Road in Carlton

Can any one remember the shops and businesses on Sneinton Dale in the 60s and 70s?

I remember Wilf & Grace Paton's Mace Grocery Store and their newsagents both at the bottom of Loughborough Avenue (used to get my Airfix kits and Corgi cars there!)

I know Wilf also ran the sweet kiosk at the old Ice Rink and in his later years a kiosk on Victory market

I remember Blanchards the barbers further up the Dale, me dad took me there for my haircut (they had mucky mags I seem to remember!!!) and the Fina petrol station opposite

I also remember another toy/gift shop...Black Cat Library.. they sold Dinky Toys!

I vaguely remember Terry's the butchers, a cake shop and a small Co-op

A cinema that became a factory

Just off the Dale was the White House pub... the Lord Nelson I think that had a really nice garden....Kimberly Ales I think

I now live 200miles away but on my last visit I drove down the Dale, what a shock all speed bumps and crossings, must be horrible on the no3 and 59 buses now

I remember some of these things, I was a paper-boy at Patons Newsagents, Mr. and Mrs. Popple had the Black cat library, their son Roger was a friend of mine.The cinema was the Dale Cinema, it became Wireohms making electrical elements. The Lord Nelson [whitehouse] was run by the Smith family, it was once a farm and yes it did have a nice garden.

• 6 months later...

an old mate of mine used to keep a shop on sneinton dale,it was called PAPER BOY,in the 80s.the shop sold grocerys as well. I was in there one day and a chap came in and asked my mate,GOT ANY WAFERS, ? what do want wafers for/? I BOUGHT A BIG TUB OF ICE CREAM FROM ASDA,my mate sold big tubs of ice cream) and replied,WELL P..S OF BACK TO ASDA AND GET YA WAFERS. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: a great sneinton character.

• 5 months later...

I can remember seeing the Nottingham group, The Jaybirds with Alvin Lee, at the Wembley Club. It was around the early sixties, maybe 1962 and I took a girl I'd met called Carol who lived in Arnold. She was really stunning and looked a little like Kim Wilde (Kids In America). I used to see a lot of groups around that time because there was always one playing in the pubs and clubs. When The Jaybirds started playing I knew instantly that I was seeing something special. They mostly played Rock & Roll numbers and Alvin Lee was fantastic, creating a great atmosphere in the club.. I'll always remember my visit to the Wembley Club and, years later, see them become one of the worlds top groups called Ten Years After.

• 9 months later...

Just found this site, I was born in 1947 and lived on Thurgarton St until I was 18. I went to the new Greenwood Infants up the woods and then to Greenwood Junior School. My brother Roger was born in 1949. I used to be mates with Dave Paton, at the papershop, he was mad on ice hockey. The cows from Betts Farm used to come down Thurgarton St once or twice a year to the cattle market. Does anyone remember the crashed German aircraft on the school playing fields on Trent Lane, just a bit of the fuselage was left, I remember John Cammock and the Jowetts

• Upvote 1

welcome to nostalgia Wak I remember the RIO Cinema on oakdale road. I think it was the RIO.