What happens to jewellery at a Crematorium

Just sitting here today chatting as ya do....and the subject of what happens to all the gold,diamonds and such like after the burning at the crem???....just whos on the make here.....i know they send hip joints and other ball type joints back for refub....my wife was laid to rest in her box with some of her jewllery...gold,silver n diamonds....but i`ve looked through her ashes and theres nowt....it might be hot enough in there to burn a body but not hot enough to vapourise gold silver and never hot enough for the diamond.....so is it the crem-man or the crem-man on behalf of the council.....just a thought......and dont worry i was married 23 year to the wife....so rooting through her ashes is nowt... to what we used to get up to before she went cloud surfing

Hi Ube,

Sensitive subject but there has to be an answer.

The Code of Cremation Practice forbids the opening of the coffin once it has arrived at the crematorium, and rules stipulate it must be cremated on the same day as the funeral service. Thus, in the UK, bodies are cremated in the same coffin as they are placed in at the undertakers. It is recommended that jewellery be removed before the coffin is sealed for this reason. After the cremation process has been completed, the remains are passed through a magnetic field to remove any metal, which will be interred elsewhere in the crematorium grounds, or increasingly, recycled. The ashes are then given to relatives or loved ones.

I suggest you ask the funeral director what happened to the jewellery.

A pacemaker should be removed because it could explode and damage the cremator. Also the mercury contained in a pacemaker's batteries poses an unacceptable risk of air pollution. In the United Kingdom the undertaker is required to remove any pacemaker prior to delivering the body to the crematorium, and sign a declaration stating that any pacemaker has been removed.

This has always had me wondering, I worked for 10 years for a large metal recycling firm, they had metal from all over the world in all shapes and sizes, and from every source imaginable, but I have never ever seen any brass or zinc from a crematorium, even in the melted down state. And as for using a magnetic source to find any remnants this would only work on ferrous metals, brass, copper or zinc being non magnetic.

"As a precious metals refiner, Leon Toffel is used to dealing with fine dust, perhaps produced at a bench by a dental technician.

But some years ago, when he received globules of molten metal in the post, he realised there was a new market to be mined.

Toffel's new client was a retiring crematorium worker.

"We processed it like any other scrap," he told 5 Live..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7941646.stm

Cheers

Robt P.

See now if i`d known that no way would i have left such items in there......something i never thought of at the time, as i was in "Breavement fairly land".....people like lynmys should explain this to you.....how p#ssed do i feel that some rat as made money from the drippin gold off my dead wife......

I recieved the ashes of my father and went to spread them at one of his favourite places, only to find it was full of coffin nails !!! not a happy bunny I can tell you .

• Like 1

We had Lymns at Arleston Drive Wollaton attend to my dad when he died. I thought they were fantastic, so was the Crem at Bramcote. I put his favourite pipe on top of the coffin for the service and it was discretely given back to me afterwards. The chap from the crem at Bramcote was so pleasant and distributed the ashes in a perfect heart shape, as close to one of our favourite walks up Hemlock Stone as possible, no odd bits to be seen and considering what the old man had shoved into his teeth as far as his home made fillings were concerned, I'm surprised that the ash spreader actually worked.

I'm going to get my missus to chisel out my gold fillings immediately after I snuff it, I don't want the ghouls at the new crem up the road to flog em on Braintree market.

• 12 years later...
  • 3 months later...

My dads ashes were sprinkled into the sea , me and my brother said afew word in tribute  on ryde beach on the isle of wight , then my brother opened the urn and attempted to scatter the ashes in the sea , except we didnt take into account the prevailing sea breeze,  the ashes ended up in our eyes and mouth , in our hair , 

So when someone says to me i can see your dad by your eyes , i said you ain't half wrong there !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to What happens to jewellery at a Crematorium

I remember when we arranged my mother’s funeral we were surprised by the amount of gold bling that the funeral director had on his fingers and around his wrists. We speculated as to where it might have come from! We thought it was a bit blatant.