I went to Deering in 1960 and left in 1964. Jake was the Headmaster. I lived in the Meadows all my young life , made many friends and still keep in touch with my old school friends from them good old days. Along with a school mate mick harvey we have set up this school web site at www.deering.org.uk. I organise many reunions, not only for school friends but people who lived in the Meadows too. If anyone remembers anything from this era of deering please post me a message. dicko

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the one! Great photo. I remember going to school one foggy morning, probably 1961, approaching that junction, on Wilford Road, could just make out the bus at the stop, which was nearer Tra

As posted on another thread, I was the science technician at Roland Green 1966-68. Stan Reid was my boss. I thought Sue Best taught maths too. I remember she was a pretty blonde lady fancied by many o

We used to get Park Drive 9 1/2d for 5, 10 for 1/6, or toupenny fags from Tomlinson's. I remember a bit further down the road was the Imperial, which was unused and derelict.  Any idea when it cl

Don't know much about the Meadows, my sister lived there around 1967/68 on Kinglake Street. I think it was Kinglake Terrace she lived on. They then moved to Clifton when they redeveloped.

A :P

• 3 weeks later...

tutanic,, what was your sisters name, know kinglake street very well, just off wilford road and the same era as we grew up in, are you coming to the wobble around tomorrow night, if so, say hello, dicko, alias chrissie

Sorry about tonight, can't make it, but please have one for me. (or two or three)

My sister is called June Shelton, she lived on Kinglake Terrace, was that a terrece at the end of Kinglake Street. Her husband was Harry and he worked at the sugar beet factory. They had a son called Steven while they lived there. She now lives in Skegness, Harry died about eight years ago so she sold up and moved there.

It would be great if you knew her, I could ask her things she would not expect.

Ann

June shelton rings a bell, but the face i cannot place at all. I have an excellent memory usually, must be the beer from last nights wobble in Trip lol :P Tell me more details about her, or better still try and find out who she hung around with on Kinglake Street. Dicko

June has Auburn hair, almost red. There was a girl in the next yard who was in a violent relationship, she had two or three children, June used to be good friends with her. I think her daughter had a baby girl when she was very young and June did a lot of knotting for it. Steven, Junes son scalded his arm when he was very small, it made quite a mess of it.

If you place the name to a face then you will know what I look like, this is not going to be a pleasant recollection. It was how I used to get a lot of my boyfriends when I was younger. They used to mistake me for her and, me being me, I didn't put them right.

Harry used to be a drinker but I don't know what pubs., when I speak to June again I will ask her.

As I say, it would be nice if someone does remember her as she does get a bit down now she is on her own and it would give her something to think about.

Ann :P

• 1 month later...

Have had a word with my sister and it appears she was very friendly with Norma and Stan Wood. They used to live in the yard before you got to Kinglake Terrace.

They had two daughters one was called Anna, she had the baby very early on.

June used to work at Gem, if you don't know, this was Asda before it became Asda and now Walmart.

Will ask her some more when I speak to her next.

Ann

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...

I also went to Roland Green 1968.Jake was the head master then. Eggleton was the metalwork teacher, Miss Best was our English teacher can't remember many others till I get my memory jogged

6 hours ago, Waddo said:

I also went to Roland Green 1968.Jake was the head master then. Eggleton was the metalwork teacher, Miss Best was our English teacher can't remember many others till I get my memory jogged

As posted on another thread, I was the science technician at Roland Green 1966-68. Stan Reid was my boss. I thought Sue Best taught maths too. I remember she was a pretty blonde lady fancied by many of the lads. The girls heart throb was Mick Combes another blond who taught PE. He rode a motorbike and was also quite handy on electric guitar. I knew Mick when he was at Forest Fields in the early 60s. He was an outstanding sportsman then.

• Like 1

Yes I remember now, collaluca, Reid (did he do sports as well?) Wallace, who was it that took ri? I can only think of him as holy Joe. Was his name Reid as well. And your correct about sue Best she was fancied by most of the lad's, but you would get a rap across the knuckles with a ruler if she caught you peeking up her mini skirt when she sat on the table. Why she didn't sit on a chair behind her desk I just don't know.

Hi denshaw, your dead right, it was Davis for Ri. I can remember Robinson for woodwork. I don't remember Foster or Dyson. oh the good old days. Did you cut across Georges field if you were late?. I can remember when the pond froze one winter and i skipped school just to mess about on the pond. Didn't seem to matter in those days whether you went or not, or was it just me?.

• 8 months later...

Hi denshaw sorry for taking so long to reply but I only seem to get the chance to go on the site when I take my winter vacation. But to answer your question, I left in 69.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just come across this site, so I thought I,d give it a try.  I left Deering in 1962 still at the tender age of 14. We lived in Wilford Road in a sweet shop. I used to either cycle to school or go on the trolley bus at the cost of 1penny. Jake Preston was the head, good at wielding the strap when you were caught smoking.  Chaplain was deputy, Vera Brown geography Miss Trafford history Mr Stanley maths, Mrs Pinder music, Mrs Radcliff English, Lance Wright had just replaced Harry Eccles for PE, art was Colloluca.

I used to hang around with Geoff Thornhill, Ronald Rudge,  Neil Stone, who was a year younger and lived in the greengrocer's shop opposite us.

We used to go to the Locano on a Tuesday night, in our Italian suits trying to look cool.

Hi Michael and welcome to the site, I was at the same school but it was later, it was Roland Green then. Most of the teachers were still there, and Jake had progressed to the cane!! . I am sure Denshaw will be able to give you more information when he See's the post, he has a better recollection about the school than me, that is until my memory gets jogged. I used to hang around with Terrance Ashley, he lived just off Wilford rd near Turner's the Chip shop,also Keith Brown, Steve Walters lived in the same area.

To be honest, I can't remember if Terry's nickname was titch, but I can remember chopping my index finger off whilst adjusting the cone's on his fixed wheel bike!! That stung a bit! And I still have the crooked finger to show for it. They didn't do a very good job of stitching it back on. As for Steve not sure if he had a brother, but he was a big lad and I think he lived in a newsagents or sweetshop, something like that.

Sounds like the right year, same as me, didn't know about him having a pub. Which is a shame really as I lived on the "hollows" in 74_77, do you know which pub it was?

Thanks for that, never went in the dale so would not have inadvertently bumped into him. Couple of other Guy's I remember at school were, John Rudd, Derek Goldsworthy, Clifford Seddon, can't remember any more at the moment. But when I do, i will post them on here.