• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the one! Great photo. I remember going to school one foggy morning, probably 1961, approaching that junction, on Wilford Road, could just make out the bus at the stop, which was nearer Tra

As posted on another thread, I was the science technician at Roland Green 1966-68. Stan Reid was my boss. I thought Sue Best taught maths too. I remember she was a pretty blonde lady fancied by many o

We used to get Park Drive 9 1/2d for 5, 10 for 1/6, or toupenny fags from Tomlinson's. I remember a bit further down the road was the Imperial, which was unused and derelict.  Any idea when it cl

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2018 at 2:55 PM, denshaw said:

Waddo, in your year, Chaz, Mick Grinnion, Pocco, there was a lad with a disfigured face they cruelly called him Popeye, Ralph Reid, Dianne Wing, Mick Plewinski.

Hi My name is Sheila Clements nee Grayson, I remember that boy with the disfigurement, he did it after an accident on the railings on Queens Drive park

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:13 AM, trevor hillyard said:

this is for the guys . if u got caught fighting did u have to go to the gym after school and put the big brown pair of boxing gloves on and sort it.I did with a pupil called Ralph Reid I ended up dislocating my right thump because of the massive gloves great days

any u guys remember the disco nights in the Grove Tavern on Queens Drive it was in the room on the corner of the pub

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 10:12 AM, trevor hillyard said:

Can I also say I think the chip shop on Wilford road was called Turners

That's the one Trevor, right opposite WJ Furse, the company i started my steeplejack career with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Trevor,  just noticed your communication about paper rounds at Tomlinsons.  When I was there, which would have been 1961, we had designated rounds, mine was the long one, morning and evening, plus collecting money on a Saturday morning, all for 11bob.  I left Deering in 1962 and their was a guy called Dave Pipes, who lived in Traffic Street,bin my class.

Mike.

Hi Michael.You left Deering a while before me but I had a brother there around that time Alan Hillyard.Its got to be the same family off Traffic St.We used to rush from school to get the short round which was Waterway St only but had to go back about 6 oclock to take late papers to the Power station couldnt beat Pipesy tho

Hi Trevor, Geoff Thornhill was a very keen footballer, played for the Deering school team, along with Bob Bonser, Ronald Rudge and Bill Readman.  Geoff also played for Clifton Colts, as I recall.  He lived in  Waterway Terrace I think, and he had relatives on both sides.  The Boyle,s I think, were his cousin's, was their a Margaret Boyle?

Ronald Rudge lived in Kinglake Street, and we lived just round the corner in Wilford Road, in the sweet shop next to Haywards.

Can't recall you're brother's name.  Ask him if he remembers Rainford Higgins, a real stand out guy and good athlete.  Or Neil Stone, aka Nellie, he lived in the greengrocers opposite us.

Mike.

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2018 at 9:55 PM, denshaw said:

Waddo, in your year, Chaz, Mick Grinnion, Pocco, there was a lad with a disfigured face they cruelly called him Popeye, Ralph Reid, Dianne Wing, Mick Plewinski.

I was around during that time, remember the names. I was in the same class as Chaz, who I believe got expelled for hitting a teacher... 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 10:24 AM, trevor hillyard said:

hi guys the boy with the disfigured face is steven green he did it in a car accident the boy who had the accident is my nephew he did it on the queens drive park fence

I remember Stephen Green from when I worked at Roland Green as Lab Assistant 1966-68. I always felt quite sorry for him but never knew his disfigurement was the result of an accident. I always assumed it was congenital. I wonder if it could now be repaired using modern surgical techniques.