50th Anniversary of Forests FA Cup Win 2nd May 1959.

This made me think after my previous post on Forest, Rob 237 was obviously at Wembley, does anyone have any memories of that day.

Me, I wasn't particularly interested in football, despite having had Henry Newton as captain of Firbeck school team, and boy, we weren't allowed to forget it by Mr Galloway.

On the day of the final, I wandered up to Firbeck rec to find someone to play with and the whole area was dead, not a soul on the train bridge either. I ended up going home and watching it on TV with the rest of the family, my abiding memory was the shock and awe when Dwighty broke his leg.

I recall all the paraphenalia afterwards and Dad buying every paper going, despite the fact that he was an ardent Notts fan and it took some persuading to get him to set foot in the City Ground 10 years later.

How things have changed, Luton are stuffed and Forest have just avoided further humiliation, no doubt things will be different in another 50 years when Forest are playing in the Arabic League.

Loved them rediffusion boxes (I used to convince my mates that we could watch the radio too (As it also came through the cable !!!)

Sorry to hijack , but I was too young for this !!!! mind you my mum does too have the press cuttings of the day !!

Well done Rob, sad to think that so many of those athletes have passed on.

What sort of weather was it 50 years ago, I have a vague memory of it being dull and overcast, not like today, it's bloomin' 'ot and sunny daan saaf, I wouldn't fancy trying to play for 90 minutes in this.

A couple of memories from my fragile Guardian:-

fore1.jpg

fore2.jpg

The last two surviving members of 59 Jeff Whitefoot & Billy Gray will be paraded on the pitch tomorrow as well well as the FA cup.

Carl Froch will be parade his WBC belt & half time.

Its also a sell out .

I dug these out today.

I can't recall what they cost me, but they are sterling silver and there were 500 minted.

I must try and get a value.

I was a member at the time before the club went public.

post-1529-1241467428_thumb.jpg

Did anybody go to the match on sunday, I wondered what sort of reception the veterans got, what was the final attendance in the end, sorry I'm being stupid, I should look it up on the Forest web site.

I have vague memories (I was only 5) of Forest visiting Meridian on Haydn Road - I think that's where the shirts were made.

...What sort of weather was it 50 years ago, I have a vague memory of it being dull and overcast...

Apologies for missing your question...

It was indeed dull and overcast but, due to the tension as they hung on with 10 men during the interminable second half, we wouldn't have noticed had it been snowing!

Another abiding memory are the pictures of Roy Dwight arriving at Slab Square in a wheelchair, on the Monday evening homecoming. Clearly in great pain from his severe leg fracture, but loathe to miss the Council House celebration.

Cheers

Robt P.

Received the latest Bygones yesterday from my ma-in-law, and the whole thing is a tribute to Forest's 50th Anniversary of winning the cup.

How come we didn't get something similar in 1994 for the Hundredth anniversary of Notts winning it ??? ........LOL

smile2smile2smile2smile2

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Reds photo ,,,three and six,,,

things don't change too much...............only one Englishman among the players,,,can you name him?