Thanks Denshaw.  I should have read the earlier posts.  I just picked it up at CTs photo.  Me mam used to call that Hockley.  Coming from Netherfield we'd get off the Trent bus at the corporation bus garages.  Then walk up past Woolworths to Pelham street Boots.  As a kid I could never figure out why she didn't stay on to Huntingdon street bus station.  After all we'd paid forrit an't wi?  Must have passed the store many times.

1 minute ago, benjamin1945 said:

Down from the Palais...............bleddy hell DOWN    means DOWN.............LOL.

That photo is down from the Palais !  It's looking up Lower Parliament Street towards the Central Market and Bus Station.  Go up there as far as you can see, then turn left a short distance, you'd be at the Palais.

44 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I don't remember it, but that advert is from the early 1950s. Looking at Old Maps, 57-59 Carrington Street was about here..... https://goo.gl/maps/ZUPTUAY95jK2

Thanks yes, that's about where Alex Owen would have been.

Another question anyone, in the last picture, was the art deco type building opposite corner to P&B something to do with the GPO?

1 hour ago, TBI said:

yes, that's about where Alex Owen would have been.

PTP have proof you were right about that! This fits the numbering and the location.

Veg8azo.jpg

56 minutes ago, TBI said:

Another question anyone, in the last picture, was the art deco type building opposite corner to P&B something to do with the GPO?

According to PTP, it was owned by Boots.

dFmcAer.jpg

• Like 1

From the picture titled "somewhere on here", behind the bus to the right was Gedling st. The big block building on the right was a telephone exchange. There was a couple of shops on this end of the telephone exchange building but can't remember what during that period. Yes it had a curved window. Then Boston st. Then a tyre centre, followed by the back end of Brook Street surface car park. Further up was Shipsides petrol station and car showroom, then Royal Mail sorting office and garage. 

The building on the left foreground I think was connected with boots packaging and printing. About where the bus is was a Pullmans store. I know this doesn't locate P+B but I enjoyed doing it.

4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

...it was just down from a Marsdens shop i worked in,.......think the building that Marsdens had is still there      unusual shaped entrance (rounded) photo Cliff ?......

Another successful outcome. Pity the whole shop front doesn't get into the photo.

qSKBYKN.jpg

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

.....was just a bit back from the bus.............

Looking at the original wider photo, yes it was.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...
On 10/11/2017 at 7:49 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Seem to think Marsdens with the rounded front........was just a bit back from the bus.............

Marsdens was next to Ashmores. At the bottom of Hockley was a furniture shop, can't remember the name of it.