Anyone remember Price & Beals, men's outfitters

Used to be at the bottom of Lower Parliament Street opposite the old Ice Rink just down the road from the fish & chip shop, Les Strongmans newsagent and the Bingo (Possibly Nobles?)

Used to get all my clothes there when I was a kid (60's), I think they sold Ladybird clothes before they became a Woolies only brand

May have had my first suit from there when I started work...not too sure

Think they had another branch near Vicy centre

When at school I worked on Saturdays for Les Strongman and when the Panthers reformed used to bring him back with us from the away matches!

Those were great days!

Price and Beals changed to the big mans shop early seventies, a mate of mine Eugene worked in there. The arcade would have been Sun Valley. Can you remember Les Strongmans son Craig? he posts on here quite regular.

After WW 2 when clothes were still `rationed'.the big occasion every year (always at Easter) was the years new clothes outfit from Price`s.

When in 1951 I went on to secondary school my uniforms were purchased there reason,- they had some sort of `never never scheme',otherwise my parents would never have been able to afford it(the uniform). Next to P&B was a wonderous cake shop(cannot remember name ),where the Saturday afternoon tea cakes were purchased. Tea was always ham salad and pork pies,followed by the cakes!

I should think the never-never scheme you are talking about at Price & Beal, is the same as the one my mum used at Roughtons on Derby Rd and the big Co-op on Parliament St. She'd get vouchers to spend at these 2 shops, then an agent would come round the houses once a week, and collect money to pay off the vouchers. Most likely what every you decided to get in vouchers, was divided by 20 weeks, and that would be your payment. If it wasn't for these vouchers I doubt I'd be kitted out for Easter, summer, Christmas etc.

My father in law used to work for a finance company called Progressive (Shopacheck) and used to go round collecting at the door. His area was Bilborough and Strelley.

You wouln't dare do that now Denshaw - mugged before you did 100 yards!

katyjay said:

I should think the never-never scheme you are talking about at Price & Beal, is the same as the one my mum used at Roughtons on Derby Rd and the big Co-op on Parliament St. She'd get vouchers to spend at these 2 shops, then an agent would come round the houses once a week, and collect money to pay off the vouchers.

Spot on Katyjay.

My 1st school blazer was from the Co-op. The snooty kids at school could always tell whose parents purchased at the Co-op instead of (was it?) Dixon and Parker because of the inferior quality of the material and workmanship!

P&B had a shop on King's Walk and IIRC somewhere in Hyson Green.

Mum always insisted on D&P's for school uniform and straight across Friar Lane to Gordon Scott's for Startrite - not Clark's - shoes.

There's a memory Bamber , 'Startright Shoes' IMMSC a picture of a little boy and girl walking into the sunset was their logo.

P&B had a shop on King's Walk and IIRC somewhere in Hyson Green.

Mum always insisted on D&P's for school uniform and straight across Friar Lane to Gordon Scott's for Startrite - not Clark's - shoes.

You were posh weren't you????? Gordon scott in broadmarsh was still there 2 years ago, however it has been took over by someone else who kept the name!! They did nice shoes for adults when I last went in.... good brands like gabor (yes, I know German).

• 2 years later...

All the lads would get their Gaberdine suits at Beales in the 50`s , Electric Blue was the favourite shade, and then strut around with their Suede shoes at " The Barn ( Astoria ) I remember buying a pair of Suedes I even recall the brand " Cathedral " , on the box it stated " They will wear out the Pavement. Me and a mate used to get in the Ice Stadium on Hockey nights for free , but after each section we had to rush around collecting Glases in the Bar and then rush back to our seats without missing too much. On Alfreton Rd Chuck Zamick had a Home or a Shop , I can`t quite remember.

Missed it earlier but intrigued by the mention of Pogressive and Shopacheck, my uncle Clary worked for them for years, and we had loads of stuff via them, trouble was you could only deal with certain shops (expensive ones) though he only one I recall was "Rains" on Carrington St, sold everything from tv's to push bikes, my first came from there, an Elsick Hopper, straight handlebars, (wasn't allowed drop bars) but with 3 speed benelux gears, something like £2 down and 3s and 11p a week for 17 years lol, As regards being mugged nothing like that for uncle though someone one knocked him off his pushbike on hyson green flats concourse by throwing an old shoe at him!

Digging around in old threads I landed on this one.  It started in the days when nobody posted photos, so I'll update things. 

This is Price and Beal's shop on Parliament Street - (for "big men").

qZMLoYf.jpg

On 17/07/2011 at 4:17 PM, Ashley said:

one I recall was "Rains" on Carrington St, sold everything from tv's to push bikes, my first came from there, an Elsick Hopper, straight handlebars, (wasn't allowed drop bars) 

Ny3SkTM.jpg

• Like 2

I once came a cropper on that corner on me motor bike (well it belonged to the garage),I was wanging round the bend going back to the garage I worked when the window cleaner who had just finished the windows at Price and Beal, threw the water from his bucket in the road, I skidded on the wet patch and fell off the bike,bloody window cleaners,that would be about 1969

Rog

I remember Price and Beal on Parliament street..........it was just down from a Marsdens shop i worked in,.......think the building that Marsdens had is still there      unusual shaped entrance (rounded) photo Cliff ?......i was relief manager there and i recall closing the store for 5 minutes on 'Churchill's' funeral day 1965 ? .............

I can't place it at all.  My points of reference would probably be the theatre Royal, the Elite cinema and the Palaise.  Where was it situated between those three?  Bought me wedding suit at Burtons on the corner of Clumber street.