i remember clayton square close to what we called the brassy rec. in radford. terrible living conditions even back then in the early fifties think i mentioned it on another thread "did you live in radford" block of tenaments built around a courtyard one tap in the middle to serve all.

yes we were all moved out to the houseing estates sooner or later, we moved from bloomsgrove st to clifton around 55 the ellis twins from a few doors down moved to broxtowe, wasn,t poundalls yard just above the brassy.

yes digger it is a small world, you might remember the bulls old dog then "jock" always sat outside the house, all the neighbours would take him bones after sunday dinner. about 2 years after moving to clifton i was fishing with a net and jamjar where the fairham brook runs into the trent near clifton bridge who should i see there but the ellis twins, the bulls had brought them down fishing and camping, they couln,t believe i lived there as they were still on bloomsgrove then. that was the last time i saw them. jimmy flowers claim to fame was his studded boots all the other kids would be jealous when hed go sparking down the corsey. happy memories!

• 2 years later...

Hi !! I was born at 4 Clayton Square 25 nov 1943,I was put into Hartley Rd childerens home at the age of 2 or 3 cant remember exactly, but i did go back to have a look somewhere around the 1950s as my Dad still lived there

Many thanks for posting the map Cliff ton even though its just a square I can see the house where I was born on Bloomsgrove St. often wondered where the grill window from the scullery looked out onto, always thought it was Garden St but now I see it was Garden Terrace. I was less than seven years old when we left there but still remember the families and what the places on the map were. I see the letters PR just north west of Clayton sq could this mean "public recreation" as I'm sure that was the "brassy rec".

As I said, I had no idea where Clayton Square was before I looked for this, so when I found it I was surprised to find its an area I have a link with. I had two aunts who lived in Garden Street from the mid 1940s until the mid 1960s when the place was demolished, and I visited them when I was a kid in those later years.