Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

• 5 months later...

I saw Long John Baldry at the Dancing Slipper on Bread & Lard Island once. He was in the crowd, towering obove it in fact, watching a jazz band. The girls were all over him. Little did they know his interests lay elsewhere.

I played in the group that supported Long John Baldry that night The Hoodoo's who later changed their name to The Clockwork Toy's, played many times at The Slipper & Palais along with other Notts venues. I knew Mad Mike at The Slipper very well, the Toys moved away from Notts., playing in the North East & West, after spending a year touring the Continent. Sadly Mick Hinchliff our Bass player has just passed away, but we did reform for a one off gig at Notts County's Stadium {for a private function}three years back, the first time we had played together since the late 70's, Happy Days.

• Upvote 1

Swinging (or *Dancing) Slipper's Mad Mike was of course Mike Burdett

*I am not sure when or if it actually had a name change?

I know I went to the Slipper on a few occasions but the only band I remember seeing there were The Mike Cotton Sound . Must have been mid 60s .

Funnily enough my brother and Mike Cotton are now in the horn section of a band that plays on cruise ships.

I've often wondered about what used to be the Parkside Club on Station Street, just below the Bentinck Hotel.

In recent years it was called Club Kemmet or something like that.

It's still there but seems to have been abandoned a long time ago.

Does anyone know anything about the place?

"After Dark", well in my son........ That name has been bugging me for weeks, (Since I mentioned I worked there for Alan and Margaret a few times) I know that Zac or Kurt had it briefly before A and M took it on.

It was the Penny Farthing, but I don't remember what it was called when A & M were there. They then move on to a new Ariba on St James Street.

Going back to memories of Long John Baldry - I saw him a couple of times, once at the Dungeon in about 66 when he was with Steampacket (with Rod Stewart, Julie Driscoll & the Brian Auger Trinity) and once, probably 67 at the Sherwood Rooms when he was in Bluesology with Elton John. Was anyone at this gig? I can remember Jimmy James & the Vagabonds and top of the bill the Jimi Hendrix Experience, but cannot remember who else was on the bill and I'm sure there were several more acts. Any ideas?

Yes I liked Julie Driscoll as well and Brian Auger - used to play the album Open all the time.

How may other gigs were we both at? Did we know each other? I'll try to find an old photo sometime.

Spent time at the dungeon, but mostly the beachcomber, Brit, boat , union and when back from uni, the hippo, babels and Nottingham uni gigs...enjoyed most music and still do......

Went to all those places and remember seeing The Who at the university , at I think a hastily arranged gig in a fairly small room .

When I think of the Dungeon , my main memory is not of a gig but going there in 1966 on the Sunday after England won the World Cup .

My brother ran a Saturday night club in a hotel in Stamford ( I was the dj there ) and whatever group was on that night in Stamford , came back and slept on the floor in his house on Woodborough Road . They may have been playing in Nottm on the Sunday night.

I can't remember which group it was but they were a Jimmy James or Geno type group with a black male lead singer . As we drove into town , his trick was to open the van side door and wave a large black table leg in front of him at any passing female with suitable suggestive comments !

We parked up and I had my first ever Chinese meal for Sunday lunch , think that was on Milton Street .

Next to the Dungeon, that was open all day . Luckily they had a TV on and I was able to watch on BBC the replay of the whole England game that I had missed the day before as I was working at the GEM .

It was called "Pieces" before Alan and Margaret took over Mick, sorry Admin.

They moved there whilst I was out in Ibiza, possibly during my second 'tour of duty' in '97

Not forgetting that they had "Arabellas" on Wollaton Street for a few years in between.

Edit , I've just had a bit of a rethink on this and they took over the afterdark in around 1990 staying there for only about a year or two, then going to Arabellas circa 92/3 . They finally moved to The New Arriba sometime in 2000.

That last bit has come back to me as I went Arrabelas on my stagnight in 99 so they were still there then.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s