Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

It was one of my last clubbing visits to (I've gone to Pieces a couple of times but only on a fleeting visit, one of the last times was just after my mate Dave got married in February of 2005, I did pop in to take a couple of pictures of Margaret and George, which I posted on here, in around 2007, but I've not been in a club since.

Hi Moz, I have already posted , a few years ago, about being at the steampacket gig at the dungeon....was a massive fan of Julie Driscoll. I saw Hendrix at the beachcomber alongside Jimmy Cliff and Jimmy James.....

And me - we could have our own reunion:-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, just joined this group a few minutes ago. Seems like the perfect place to come, after the sudden passing of Alvin Lee. Like most people in the world, got my first sight of Alvin and Ten Years After during the movie Woodstock, and my girlfriend and I have been loyal fans from that time forward. Tomorrow morning we head for Paris, for the "Alvin Lee Tribute Concert" and upon our return next week we'll be posting our photos and concert review, as soon as possible.

One of the reasons that we joined this website was to ask you nice folks in Nottingham for some help. We're looking for information about The Jaybirds - Jaycats - Jail-Breakers - Jay-Men - these were all names used by Alvin Lee and Leo Lyons along the way. The ones I know the most, are The Jay Cats" and "The Jay Birds" - with some photos from Leo Lyons collection. We're looking for more photos, articles, as well as your personal stories of those times and venues. I have read many of your stories so far, wonderful tales of days gone by so long ago....I was five years old in December of 1960 - I'm 57 today. I hope to talk with many of you soon. We also host two websites, we invite you to stop by and enjoy our work. Look for the following for the Pre Ten Years After Section and the Classic Ten Years After: www.alvinlee.de and for

Ten Years After Now, www.ten-years-after.com

Your friends in music, Dave and Brigitte

Welcome to Nottstalgia, TYAFANS. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. I'd also like to wish you a happy birthday and hope that you enjoy your special day. We have a few Alvin Lee fans, including myself, and there are a few posts on here regarding Alvin.

Thank You Michael, for the warm welcome, looking forward to exchanging information with you and the others here, should be lots of fun.

From Dave

Welcome Dave and Bridget

We look forward to your TYA reports, and hope you find much Notts related info to your liking.

Re. Ten Years After, when we used to go to the Gaumont Saturday morning 'Beat Club' around 1960, they were known as Ivan Jay and the Jaybirds. They would do covers of the latest top ten hits as well as rock and roll standards.

Thank You Kindly "OLDACE" - As good as place as any to post "The Alvin Lee Tribute Concert In Paris" April 7, 2013 - A Sunday Night.

Hi Mr. Booth and Mick2ME. I'll try to give you the short version. First of all, to my way of thinking, it should have focused on Alvin Lee's passing.

It wasn't. Ten minutes before the show they played a recording of Ten Years After Live At Woodstock 1969 from the Soundtrack Album

Followed by a few stage comments and then a moment of silence - nothing more!

First act up was Tommy Emmanuel - excellent performance. Second, Edgar Winter playing Free Ride from the 1970's and one or two others, he was there for the money only, he just went through the motions is all. Then onstage came Robben Ford, nice person but he did nothing to impress me or anyone else. Edger played saxophone, keyboards and sang with Robben and his brother Johnny came on last.

But, before that, came the best act there tonight - Johnny Gallagher, who blew everyone away. He is what the audience wanted, and he rocked and bluesed them perfectly. Buy his cd's.

Johnny Winter - walked on stage under his own power - played the first song standing up and then sat down for the rest. He's old, frail, and played his ass off. After all is said and done, he's still Johnny Winter. People started leaving after his thrid song. He did only one encore.

We would never go to Paris again just for the music.

• 3 months later...

I am suprised to note that in mentioning the Belvedere Club there is no mention of one of Nottingham 's finest Jazz Men (& Alberts Partner) Ray Kilby. Many of their old patrons were at Rays Funeral about five years ago.

The Blonde behind the bar with Marylin was Jane.

Another Misquoted Partnership mentioned was at the L Shaped Room. Not Mick & Dave it was Mick & Billy. (Billy Grinsell) Billy was a fine Tenpin Bowler & at the time of his early demise he held many records at the Then Excel Bowl in Nottingham.

• Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...

At the last meet-up, a mention was made of the Belvedere Club on Pilcher Gate. I'm too young to know about such things, but it's been mentioned earlier in this thread. Apparently it was a few doors up from the Windmill pub, which is the white building on the extreme right here, looking up Pilcher Gate. So presumably the Belvedere is one of the other buildings in the photo.

pilcher1.jpg

And this is what it looks like today.

pilch.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone remember Don juan coffee cafe ? where we all used to hang out with our scooters parked outside!

And the meltdow in nottingham 1965 when the Rockers descended on us from Birmingham, Derby, Ripley etc.

and the city was closed off. we thought we were safe untill they crashed through the doors and took over, the only retreat was the Dungeon club, where we retreated!

• Upvote 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia, paulmax67. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. It's good of Cliff Ton to post the links to the other threads on this subject and I hope you enjoy reading them. Hopefully, it will jog your memory and we'll get more posts from you.

• Upvote 1

I remember the "Don Juan Coffee Café" paulmax67 in the 60s especially the back room where we used to hangout.I note in the new book "Mods" by Londoner Paul 'Smiler Anderson nothing mention about Nottingham Clubs actually Chesterfield gets a good write up.

Had rather a fortunate escape in the Don Juan around 63/64. My girlfriend and I had been in the back room until the time came for me to walk her to Mount St Bus Station for her journey back to Stapleford. Normally I would wait there for the last E8 or F5 back to Wollaton. However, this night I'd scurried back to the DJ to see some mates and another girl I was interested in. We all sat in the front part just on the right, when one of my mates said that my girlfriend had just ran past us in the darkened room. I ducked down as she returned, and luckily she didn't spot me. It transpired that she had left her handbag in the back and had had to dash off the bus to retrieve it.

Phew, I got away with that one.

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s