Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

Late 90's I think. I seem to remember Faces was created at the time when Black Orchid was closed to become Isis. Sue Brailsford ran promotions for them and sent me a Famous Faces card for years even though I only went a few times.

My Ex used to work at the INTERCON, under the Vic Centre. 1972? The entrance, with steps leading down, was roughly where Vision Express used to be. Opposite Shakespeare Street. (It was called something else to start with, which escapes me for the moment)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just looking back over the distant years when I was a youth in my prime and used to spend loadsa time boppin' at The Brit, Union and Boat clubs. They were the Mod days. Graduated to Hippydom a few years later, but the Tamla, Atlantic, Stax and Northern Soul sounds still resonate with great affection and wonderful memories of my coming of age in Nottingham.

• Upvote 4
  • 4 months later...

Saw the Beatles at the Odeon, maybe 63 - had to ballot for tickets - and the Stones at the Albert Hall? around the same time. Frequented the Brit mostly in the 60s, and remember a band called the Corsairs. Before that it was the Locarno, under 16s night of a Tuesday. Just soft drinks and groping.

A question was asked by somebody on the Nottingham Facebook page; was there a club - or pub - or bar - called the Jethro Tull in the Lace Market. No hint of when it might've been, but probably 70s or 80s. It vaguely rings a bell with me.

• 5 months later...

Was the Belvedere in the Lace Market? There was a club there with a jazz band that stopped serving drinks at about 10.30pm. We would round off an evening there after that time with a bowl of mushy peas before getting taxis home.

Yes it was, directly behind the Windmill which was opposite the Cross Keys. I think I spent more time in the 'mill than I did at home.

• 4 months later...

Hi all , i was 14 when i first went to the dungeon on Stamford street amazing atmosphere with slimy walls i remember Sunday afternoons from 2pm with live artists also the Beachcomber club in the lce market, Jimmy Ruffin "ive passed this was before" ! Im in Spain now but visit Notts will be back end Oct if anyone wants a coffee and reminiss! Tim Northern

Also first part time chef job they sent me from Clarendon college was the Parkside club on Station street , i was first day in kitchen and a door opened and in walked a girl dressed in only a pair of heels! I nearly chopped my hand off! She was a stripper on her way to her dressing room!!!

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...
On 3/16/2010 at 7:50 AM, hippo girl said:

the DON JUAN was the coffee bar on Parliament street......did start a thread on it somewhere...........can anyone remember the Barracuda on hurts yard ?

No but used to go to the Don Juan all the time 62/63, hung out with Sandra and Pauline, can't remember their last names.

• Upvote 1
On February 18, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Angela H. said:

No but used to go to the Don Juan all the time 62/63, hung out with Sandra and Pauline, can't remember their last names.

Used go to Don Juan cafe ,back room in 63/4  with my brother Randy .

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s