Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

Afraid that I fall into one of those that you mention in your last para Lizzie, and unfortunately( if it is ) do have time to consider the photos, some of areas that I don't know, others which bring back good recollections and memories. Don't know if there is anyone else like me who had no particular interest in buses until I started looking at the photos on here, perhaps because I have the time so to do, but always had an interest in classic cars and other vehicles.

Edit: Keeping on topic, never had the finances to go to any clubs!

• Like 5
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

Whilst there are two moderators on at the moment..i made a request yesterday that two posts be removed. I felt using my name...and that they were bullying posts..and unfair..and besmirch my character as a honest and peaceful contributor. Just asking for an update on the Flags i raised.

Ian.

• Like 1

I've looked back at the posts that mention you by name Ian and can see no reason for you to request the removal of any of the posts.

There are three instances I can see, Lizzie one and Margie two. I doubt you would take umbrage at Lizzies post so that leaves Margie as the only other poster to mention you by name in this topic.

Reading both posts, one stresses that the post is not an attack on your character and the second is actually an apology if you have misunderstood her intentions, even though your reply was quite rude,

How is this besmirching your character?

As for bullying I have to say that in this instance you, with your passive aggressive post, is the bully. You know that Margie is a gentle soul (a far better person than I) who tries to see the good in everyone. You also know your post will upset her and discourage her from expressing her opinion - and that's just not right, it's bullying!

We had an interesting discussion recently about freedom of speech and the general consensus was it's fine if there is no hatred or incitement to violence. Whether anyone agrees with the posts or not, Margie has the right to an opinion and should feel free to express it without being castigated by you or anyone else.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Talking of Van Der Graaf, I was sat in the Bell one Saturday lunchtime with the usual crowd, when my mate Rob Hayes (RIP) asked if I fancied going to see them that evening.

Turned out they were on at Hammersmith Odeon, so we quickly finished our pints and ran to the station, jumped on the train then tube, and made it to the gig just in time. 

Another sprint after the gig saw us getting to St Pancras with seconds to spare before the last train then a walk home to Mapperley.

Boy, was I knackered!

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Awww thanks....;)

• 4 months later...

I loved the Boat Clubs.

On 1/19/2015 at 9:32 AM, mick2me said:

Here's one for you. Always towards the end, Slow dances :)

This is real Talent by the way, I defy you to tell the difference between this live performance by James and vinyl.

More to come...

Beautiful song sung to perfection ❤️

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I remember my first visit to the Brit. It was summer 1967, I was just 17yrs old.  After a couple of pints with my mates at the TBI .....owooch ....2/6d ! for a pint of Double Diamond (usually 1/10d at the local; Just thought...was that legal? ....anyway, who was bothered in 1967! ) So, I was 'invited' to attend my first club/disco by my more experienced compadres. They led the way, swaggered down the side of the Trent to the 3 greatest clubs to ever exist, The Boat, Union and the Brit! we approached the Brit. I remember the Motown sound blasting ( 'Take me into your arms and love me"....by Gladys Knight & the Pips)  from two huge Whafedale Speakers positioned outside, each side of the entrance. Never forgot the thrill as the music got louder as we got nearer. 

Thus began my introduction to the best music Motown/Soul/Blues I ever experienced! Over the next 18 months I was a regular attendee of the Brit with the occasional spin off to the Boat and the Union.

I saw Rod with Ronnie, Nice, The Foundations, Jeff Beck, Long John Baldry, Family, P.P.Arnold, John Mayall, Crazy world of Arthur Brown and many others.

Now at 70yrs,  (2020)  ! still remember my 'Mod' days as clear as if I were 17 again! ...........................Great days, great memories 

• Like 9

I was probably there at many of the same concerts.  I wasn't a full on Mod.. not a rocker either and certainly not a weekend Hippy with a Tricel choker.  I suppose I'd characterise my style as 'Beat'.

Fabulous times at the boat clubs and also the Beachcomber.

Ohh... for a time machine...:(

• 1 month later...

Hey folks! Writing in from New York. I'm going deep on some research right now on the band circuit in 1967 and I love reading all these memories. Did anyone here go to the Jimi Hendrix Experience show at the Beachcomber on Jan 14, 1967. Also, any resources for photos of Beachcomber? I'm trying to find some details about that show and the performance of Jimmy Cliff and the Shakedown Sound, who opened up for him. Thanks! 

rschanger. In the search box top of your page  (magnifying glass) put Beachcomber in there, scroll down and hit Search. Any mention of saud Beachcomber will come up. Pages of it. 

• 8 months later...

I am reaching the big 70 on 21st Feb and find myself doing a lot of reminiscing partic when listening to Johnny Walker on Sunday afternoon.

Guy just on his show talking bout Northern Soul. Anyone remember Beachcomber or Dungeon or even Room at the top when Vic centre had steam trains i think.

31 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

I remember there was a disco/ dance hall called the Whistle Stop at Victoria Station in the late 60s early 70s.

I only remember the Whistle Stop being a bar, down some outside steps at the side of Victoria Hotel, used to go in there now and again in the early 70s.  My friend got her head stuck in the railings there, but that happened in the 50s when she was just a little girl.  The Fire Brigade had to get her unstuck.  

• Like 1

Only went in 'Whistle Stop' once,,,,just split from first wife ..so thought i'd go on the Pull...even recall what i was wearing ''Brown 3 piece double breasted suit...white shirt slim jim with tie Pin thru the collar''' Although a bit out of practice   Felt the 'Dogs''

Got me sen a drink and began surveying the crumpet...when i heard a girl near by say ''look at that old bloke with the 'Pin' thru his collar sweating'''

Well i was gutted and at 25 thought OLD ?  i drank up and left...Had a couple of drinks in the Miltons Head ...then into Babels.........much better met Doreen from Bridgford...........

• Like 4
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:.then into Babels.........much better met Doreen from Bridgford...........

I remember that night Ben.  Kurt said to me “Look at that bloke over there with the 3 piece double-breasted suit on, he must be boiling in that gear but whenever he comes in here he pulls a different bird”

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s