Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s

My friend Eileen and I used to get over to Nottingham as often as we could in the late 60's, we lived in Derby and it wasn't as exciting. We used to regularly visit the Ad Lib Club, the Union, the Boat Club and the Beachcomber. Anyone remember Paul Chapman, he was a real flirt! I found an old diary from 1968 and according to that Bruce Channel was on at the Union. Other places mentioned in my diary were the Salutation and the Belvedere but I can't remember where they were. In Derby Clouds was the popular nightclub at the time.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having never heard of Jacobys  I decided to look it up on t'interweb and learned a lot more about Nottingham that I did not know   Jacobys was a lace manufacturer founded by Moritz Jacoby an

Found this on internet some time ago of when the Lace Market factories were working.  

If you click on Trogg's image, you get an enlarged version.   It's taken on Broad Street, looking towards Stoney Street.  The surrounding buildings haven't changed much.  

Hi ChrissieC,

Welcome.

Strangely enough, we used to travel to Derby a lot in the mid to late 60's,,,, as they say, "the grass is always better in the next town".

We went to the bowling ally a lot after pubbing & clubbing, cos if you were there at breakfast time, you got a free, full english breakfast. Mind you we also used to travel to Sheffield & Manchester in those days as well.

I used to frequent most of the places you mention,,,,,, and really loved Belvedere club.

Used the Ad-Lib more in the mid 70's when on a 'working holiday'.

Like everyone, we tended to bump into the same people most weeks,,,, but I can only recall a couple of ladies names,,,,,, terrible what age does to the memory !

BAZ

Other places mentioned in my diary were the Salutation and the Belvedere but I can't remember where they were.

Belvedere was Pilcher gate...long gone.No alcohol licence after 10.30pm,lager and cider on sale though (less than 2% proof and apple crush, but most staggering out the pubs didn't notice anyway.

Hi Chrissiec,

Only went to the Clouds in Derby once, to see Long John Baldry, now sadly passed on......I remember we chatted to him in the bar during the break, he was drinking Bacardi and coke, very sophisticated for the mid 60's..........or so we thought!! !clapping!

Having gone through the posts on the last link regarding clubs and coffee bars...The Belvedere was run by Albert Whitehead and his squeeze Marylin..he became a right wing conservative councillor in the Meadows, it was originally a jazz club.It was Albert that built the Lantern Lodge Monday Club (Conservative) just up the road.

Over the road down Byard Lane on the right...three floors up was the original Calypso Club,owned by cricketer Carlton Forbes.

Coffee bars opposite the Tech College on Burton Street were ...The 49 (Later the Blade Club run by Tony Olivero from Gibralta and Pat Smith of BPS the greencrocers in the central market) and the Toreador,popular with bikers.

Coffee bar on Shakespear street was the L Shaped room...run by Mick and Dave...they also opened a place in Skeggy...Dave died in his early 20s from I think an Athsma attack...we couldn't believe it ,all of us at that age thought we were immortal.

My first visits to the 49 coffee bar must have been in 1962 as I clearly remember someone talking about this new group...The Beatles.

I occasionally visited the Jules et Jim coffee bar in the lace market,but it was a bit 'folksy' for me.Others I used were the one opposite the Elite cinema on parliament street(Name???) and of course the Bamboo on Mansfield Road.

The Salutation (Sal) is still on Maid Marrion Way

The Belvedere Club, Upstairs above the Windmill pub was it not?

Kicked in Juke box!

and a Curry for half a crown.

Belvedere a couple of doors up from the Windmill...only one door in or out...'elf and safety wouldn't allow it nowadays.Peas and curry sold like mad.Very steep stairs if you were being ejected.

No late Licence ? We used to drink Cider &/or Whisky up there,,, well into the morning,,,,,

I do recall the peas & curry tho',,,,, delicious if you hadn't eaten for a while,,,,, especially on top of a load of Worthington 'E'.

If you drank whisky there after hours you were one of Alberts mates...the licence was pub hours.And the cider was Bulmers Apple Crush.I used to empty the bottles into a 5 gallon flaggon...with a different label on it of course.

• 8 months later...

Having gone through the posts on the last link regarding clubs and coffee bars...The Belvedere was run by Albert Whitehead and his squeeze Marylin..he became a right wing conservative councillor in the Meadows, it was originally a jazz club.It was Albert that built the Lantern Lodge Monday Club (Conservative) just up the road.

Over the road down Byard Lane on the right...three floors up was the original Calypso Club,owned by cricketer Carlton Forbes.

Coffee bars opposite the Tech College on Burton Street were ...The 49 (Later the Blade Club run by Tony Olivero from Gibralta and Pat Smith of BPS the greencrocers in the central market) and the Toreador,popular with bikers.

Coffee bar on Shakespear street was the L Shaped room...run by Mick and Dave...they also opened a place in Skeggy...Dave died in his early 20s from I think an Athsma attack...we couldn't believe it ,all of us at that age thought we were immortal.

My first visits to the 49 coffee bar must have been in 1962 as I clearly remember someone talking about this new group...The Beatles.

I occasionally visited the Jules et Jim coffee bar in the lace market,but it was a bit 'folksy' for me.Others I used were the one opposite the Elite cinema on parliament street(Name???) and of course the Bamboo on Mansfield Road.

• 1 month later...

Re Alvin Lee, as I remember it was The Jaybirds? though he was part of another band earlier, maybe called The Jaycats? I do know later (less Alvin) that band supported Herman's Hermits (should have been a hangman's noose!) at Elizabethan Rooms? on top of Co-op Parliament St/Derby Rd. Went to that YM a few times, though can't recall any bands there, Do remember a band playing above Black's Camping Shop across the road from there, maybe some boys scouts do but quite "heavy" for era (12 bar Chuck Berry style all night!)

• 5 months later...

Hello folks! I'm new here, but I'm an ex-pat Nottinghamian living in Merseyside for the last 30+ years.

Well remember the Belvedere Club, the Three Boat Clubs and the Beachcomber. Saw loads of bands including: Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull Jeff Beck Band feat. Rod Stewart, Cliff Bennet and the Rebel Rousers, Long John Baldry, Cream (At the former Nottm. Tech) Jr Walker and Geno Washington, both at the Palais. Pentangle at the Albert Hall and most memorably Ray Charles at the Odeon when I was about 13.

Worked briefly with Alvin Lee's Dad. He was a site engineer of some sort on tunnelling projects putting in sewers around Bestwood/Bulwell.

Never really went to any late night clubs, remember once though in 1970's going to one and a mate (you know who you are) fell down stairs after high cuban heel broke off his show, bump bump bump top to bottom, still can see him one hand held high with full pint in it, his first words at bottom were "never spilled a drop"!

Yes Ashley, that would be me. It was the Ad Lib and the stairs were between the ground floor and the cellar, the reason I was so concerned about the drink was because it was a large brandy not a pint.

welcome DJ360, i left Merseyside to live in Nottingham and was at most of the gigs you have mentioned above !

Thanks! I think you were the one who moved in the right direction... :laugh:

Col

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Nottingham clubs in the 60s - 80s