Yeh!I too remember Colemans during the late 50s met some nice girls there that worked as hairdressers for my brother it was a good line for a pick up and one thought she would become a member of the family as my brother wasn't short of a quid had 11 salons.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just looking back over the distant years when I was a youth in my prime and used to spend loadsa time boppin' at The Brit, Union and Boat clubs. They were the Mod days. Graduated to Hippydom a few yea

Only went in 'Whistle Stop' once,,,,just split from first wife ..so thought i'd go on the Pull...even recall what i was wearing ''Brown 3 piece double breasted suit...white shirt slim jim with tie Pin

Yes Jim,Tuesday night Locarno 'Teenbeat' 1/6 admission....and all trying to look like 'Billy Fury'

My brother used to work at a club called the 8 till late, on stanford street. I used to go and help him during the school holidays. The draymen usually delivered first thing in the morning. They always had a free pint each waiting when they had finished and would drink it before leaving, even though it was only 9 am.

I went in The 8 Till Late just the once on the night when I had just been up to firs maternity hospital to see my wife and our newly born daughter that would make it Dec 28th 1970, went to find an old mate to tell him I had become a father. It didn't have the same atmosphere as when it had been the Dungeon or maybe it was me and I was just not the same person anymore.

Thank you all for replies re Colmans What a great bunch you are !!!wish i could remember the name of that pub around the corner?Keith

I think you are probably thinking of the Crystal Palace or Corner Pin.

• Upvote 2

funny that this subject comes up again now while we were at rockers reunion this weekend some of us got to talking about various clubs in nottingham at that time there was quite a long conversation about them some of the girls and a few guys were mods at the time so knew a lot of the mod clubs

• 5 months later...

What was that fella's name that used to walk round the pubs giving out free entry tickets for mid week nights to the Hippo, Ad Lib & i think Pigalle, always smartly dressed, always seemed to call into the Flying Horse

It's on the tip of my tongue?

Some of my stag night 1967 was spent at the Calypso club, just behind the Cross Keys on High Pavement, which we enjoyed and called at many times after. We were usually the only white folk at this mainly Jamaican club. The regulars were surprised, but seemed to view as " if they dare come in here.. they must be OK"

One night a huge white guy was in the club and followed me to the toilet. He cornered me and asked if he could get any "smokes" in the club. I told him he could get some from behind the bar.. "What can I get"? he asked. "No 6 ; Embassy; Gold Leaf", says I... He did not seem amused. He obviously had not been with the drug squad very long !

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Late 90's I think. I seem to remember Faces was created at the time when Black Orchid was closed to become Isis. Sue Brailsford ran promotions for them and sent me a Famous Faces card for years even though I only went a few times.

My Ex used to work at the INTERCON, under the Vic Centre. 1972? The entrance, with steps leading down, was roughly where Vision Express used to be. Opposite Shakespeare Street. (It was called something else to start with, which escapes me for the moment)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just looking back over the distant years when I was a youth in my prime and used to spend loadsa time boppin' at The Brit, Union and Boat clubs. They were the Mod days. Graduated to Hippydom a few years later, but the Tamla, Atlantic, Stax and Northern Soul sounds still resonate with great affection and wonderful memories of my coming of age in Nottingham.

• Upvote 4
  • 4 months later...

Saw the Beatles at the Odeon, maybe 63 - had to ballot for tickets - and the Stones at the Albert Hall? around the same time. Frequented the Brit mostly in the 60s, and remember a band called the Corsairs. Before that it was the Locarno, under 16s night of a Tuesday. Just soft drinks and groping.