Anyone recognise any of the following names, I came across them in some old diaries but not sure whether they are from Nottingham or Derby. Quite a few are mentioned during my many trips to the clubs in Notts in the late 60's.

John Landon (he was with Clockwork Toys) - I met him when I had an evening job at the Locarno in Derby, and I'm pretty sure he was from Nottingham.

Dave Christie

Mick O'Neill

Dave Tyce

Nidge ?

Dave Whitehead

Paul Chapman

Roger Smith

Trevor Wain

If anyone recognises any of the names and knows anything about them I would love to hear. My maiden name was Beardmore, I got married in 1970 to an ex Derby County Player (Nigel Cleevely) and left Derby in 1972 so lost track of a lot of people. Feeling nostalgic in my old age (just turned 60).

Chrissie (not sure in those days whether I was known as Chris or Christine).

Guest Viewing Topic: MacFisheries A minute ago

Guest Viewing Board Index A minute ago

Google.com Viewing Topic: Nigerians confirm bid for Magpies... A minute ago

Would that be 'Nidge' Hoad, turned up at Bilborough GS 6th Form in 1967, was a bit of an artist and self alleged Jack the Lad, went to Trent Poly and became Social Secretary. On a geography trip to the Lake District insisted on rather stupidly ascending mountains in bad weather dressed in denim Levi Jacket and jeans, with a waterproof hanging round his neck with a bit of rope. Adopted a lizard as a pet during another trip to Swanage. Last seen and sworn at in 1972 when he didn't get round to obtaining me a ticket for the Focus concert.

Dave Tice (sp)...from Shelton Lock, Derby. Mate of Bill Doyle and Steve Willcock...

Something of a Lothario...former Pearl Assurance agent...keen amateur footballer...right age group.

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks for the info on Dave Tice, sounds like the same person I knew. I wondered what happened to him.

Firbeck - I don't remember Nidge's surname but he certainly was a jack the lad and he always had a girl hanging off his arm. So, again, it sounds like he might be the Nidge I knew.

Chrissie

Chrissiec

I know it's a distant shot, but this is Nidge in the centre of the 3, in typical pose at Silbury Hill, Wiltshire, wearing his typical gear, including the trilby.

I have a good shot of him in a posed school photo, and in colour in the Lakes, but I don't want to embarress the rest of us:-

sil1-1.jpg

If anyone wants to know, that's Jacko on the left and John Peck on the right, in case anyone knows them.

Thinking about it, I'll publish the picture of BGS 6B if you really want me to, some of you might find yourselves.

Hi

What a great picture, I wish my memory was good enough to remember what Nidge looked like but it isn't. Hope we get some more pictures through of what people were like when they were younger.

Chrissie

Ok Chrissie, Nidge Hoad, Bilborough Grammar, form 6b, year 1967 to 68, he lived down towards Western Boulevard and had previously been to another secondary school, I don't recall which one, Whitemoor? He lived with his mum, she may have been divorced, I seem to remember that their house was quite big. He put himself across as being a cool dude when he arrived, I know he hung around the clubs in the city, and had a knowledge of errrm 'blues and bombers', well he said he did.

I'm not being rotten, he was a good lad, we got on really well, I can think of a few adventures where we found him a little gullible a few times though. He could spin a yarn, but it must have been difficult to transfer to our school with no other mates, when we were all well established in our friendships and traditions, you would inevitably have to prove yourself to find acceptance, not that we tended to find that a problem with anyone.

bgs1.jpg

I recall an incident on the school Geography trip to North Yorkshire. He hated our geography teacher. We were banned from the village pubs but found the local workingmans club. On the last, frosty night, staggering back to the youth hostel, everybody, including the normally sensible kids, decided to p@ss on this particular teachers car, Nidge took it a stage further and peed in the petrol tank, result, car broke down on the way home.

We got seriously interogated when we got back by the teacher and the headmaster, but we wouldn't give him away and all chipped in for the repair bill instead.

Years later at a school reunion I asked the teacher concerned about the incident, 'I knew damn well it was that silly pr@tt Hoad, he was the only idiot capable of doing it'

Fair enough.

Sod it, heres the school photograph that was taken from, you may know, or in fact be, some of the characters in this mugshot.

bgs2.jpg

6B, Bilborough Grammar School,67-68.

Back row, from the left:-

The always cheerful Brian Abthorpe from William Sharp, smashing bloke, Andrew 'Chimp' Hacket, Julian 'Nobby Robbo', sorry, forgot your name mate, Nidge Hoad.

Second row from the left:-

Phillip Heath who I'd known since I was 5, Tim 'Dool' Buxton, my decadent pal also from another secondary school, what adventures we had, Yours truly, Andrew Small, sorry forgot, the unfortunately much unloved Gordon Boot, poor lad, Ian 'Freddy' Fretwell, everyones pal.

Please note I refused to wear the appropriate tie and got away with it.

Where are they now, I don't really know about the whereabouts of any of them, does anybody know.

• 2 weeks later...

Found some more names from 1968 in my diariy! Anyone heard of these?

Trevor Smith (Holmfield Road, Chilwell, Beeston)

Ralph Charles Keith, Normanton.

Paul Chapman, Sunninghill Drive, Clifton Estate, Notts.

Ian Wilson, Bobbers Mill, Notts.

Harry Scholey

Mick Shearer

Would love to know what they are up to now!

Chrissie

• 1 year later...

Phillip Heath who I'd known since I was 5, Tim 'Dool' Buxton, my decadent pal also from another secondary school, what adventures we had, Yours truly, Andrew Small, sorry forgot, the unfortunately much unloved Gordon Boot, poor lad, Ian 'Freddy' Fretwell, everyones pal.

Where are they now, I don't really know about the whereabouts of any of them, does anybody know.

I used to work with Tim Buxton many years ago.

• Like 1

I used to work with Tim Buxton many years ago.

Where was that Catfan, I know he had a Saturday job at a garage in St Annes when we were at school, he aquired a 1950's Fiat 1100, a bit of a rarity at the time, the front doors opened the opposite way round for some reason, I recall him driving slaughtered down Wollaton Street one Friday night after a town pub crawl, he kept opening the door which kept blowing back in the slipstream, I had to crawl over him while he was driving to try and shut it.

Spot on as usual Pete !

I was an apprentice @ the garage in question where Tim had the Saturday job.

Always thought he was a bit of a snobby Barsteward, thinking he was better than everyone else. St Anns being beneath him !

Remember well the Fiat he bought, was a pile of junk to be honest ! A previous owner was my boss who pleaded with him not to buy it, knowing the present owner was a very hard unsympathetic driver.

Can you remember Pete the first bump he had in it ? The front wings were obsolete & were unobtainable so had to be repaired. Double skinned as well.

Apart from knowing Tim then, I have never seen or heard of him since, all 42 years ago.

It's a small world.

• Like 1

Talking of Working at a Garage in St Anns?

Not Beanland's was it?

As mentioned here...

The passing of the independant, local garage.

Where mechanics actually repaired things!

Remember Beanland's Mick, I think they were on Beechdale Rd then moved to Hendon Rise.

Funnily enough when the garage I worked at (St Anns Service Stn 242 St Anns Well Rd) got bulldozed in the 60s, my old boss took over from Beanlands place on Hendon Rise. (I think it was that place).

• Like 1

Anyone recall a John Sheldon, or John and Pat Stokes (twins) all ex Potters Terrace Northgate, Mick Fearn from Egypt Road, Frank Jablonski I think Duke Street, and Chris and Francis .......? station masters son and daughter at New Basford Station, going back to early 1960's

• 2 years later...

Ok Chrissie, Nidge Hoad, Bilborough Grammar, form 6b, year 1967 to 68, he lived down towards Western Boulevard and had previously been to another secondary school, I don't recall which one, Whitemoor? He lived with his mum, she may have been divorced, I seem to remember that their house was quite big. He put himself across as being a cool dude when he arrived, I know he hung around the clubs in the city, and had a knowledge of errrm 'blues and bombers', well he said he did.

I'm not being rotten, he was a good lad, we got on really well, I can think of a few adventures where we found him a little gullible a few times though. He could spin a yarn, but it must have been difficult to transfer to our school with no other mates, when we were all well established in our friendships and traditions, you would inevitably have to prove yourself to find acceptance, not that we tended to find that a problem with anyone.

bgs1.jpg

I recall an incident on the school Geography trip to North Yorkshire. He hated our geography teacher. We were banned from the village pubs but found the local workingmans club. On the last, frosty night, staggering back to the youth hostel, everybody, including the normally sensible kids, decided to p@ss on this particular teachers car, Nidge took it a stage further and peed in the petrol tank, result, car broke down on the way home.

We got seriously interogated when we got back by the teacher and the headmaster, but we wouldn't give him away and all chipped in for the repair bill instead.

Years later at a school reunion I asked the teacher concerned about the incident, 'I knew damn well it was that silly pr@tt Hoad, he was the only idiot capable of doing it'

Fair enough.

Sod it, heres the school photograph that was taken from, you may know, or in fact be, some of the characters in this mugshot.

bgs2.jpg

6B, Bilborough Grammar School,67-68.

Back row, from the left:-

The always cheerful Brian Abthorpe from William Sharp, smashing bloke, Andrew 'Chimp' Hacket, Julian 'Nobby Robbo', sorry, forgot your name mate, Nidge Hoad.

I remember my boyfriend at the time (Julian Robinson - in your photo) telling me about the Geography trip incident!

Angela (née Mullins) (At BGS 1962-9)

• 4 years later...