I "think" the Zingari is still in business. For some reason Mayfair Club rings a bell, but I cannot pin it down.

I think you are correct - it was the old Conservative Club (location of many happy dances from my teenage years) and I vaguely remember driving past a few years ago and seeing the name change, thinking "Mayfair" was a little extravagant!

The Labor Club was almost opposite - on Lawrence Street - which I always thought was a little amusing. That building is still there too, but I have no idea what it is now.

I think you are correct - it was the old Conservative Club (location of many happy dances from my teenage years) and I vaguely remember driving past a few years ago and seeing the name change, thinking "Mayfair" was a little extravagant!

The Labor Club was almost opposite - on Lawrence Street - which I always thought was a little amusing. That building is still there too, but I have no idea what it is now.

Where I think I might be wrong is that the Labour Club has been most recently called the Embassy Club. It closed about a year ago. The name Embassy is similar in many ways to Mayfair (in terms of era etc) , so I feel I might be confusing myself. The Labour Club/Embassy Club is currently being modernised by builders. I walked past there a couple of nights ago and it looks like its been divided into 4 separate units and looks like its going to be shops of some description. I recall there being discos in the Labour Club in the early 70's, but never went to any.

I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

can any of you long eatonions remember a guy who use to sing at the labour club..eamon gill..think he went on to manage a pub on tamworth road ?

Sorry about the delay! Yes, I vaguely remember an Eamon Gill living in Long Eaton. There may have been a large Gill family in the area. If memory serves me correctly, Eamon had a small "local celebrity" status!

Had a great time - and Stu came up and walked with us last Wednesday - despite the rain!

That Eamon lived on Bracken Road makes sense - since I delivered groceries from the Grasmere Road Co-Op in my younger years! Another local "lad" was Billy Matchett - who lived down by Longmoor School I believe - anyhow, for a while he was the landlord at the Steamboat at Trent Lock (closed last time I went there in March).