Used to buy Jublys from the shop on Orange Street, Medders.

Started out orange but ended up red as the ice would cut your lips.

Wasnt there a red version of Jubbly called "Jungle Juice"?

What about Walls Creamy Bar suckers, in Strawberry and Banana flavour?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rings a bell.....What about Nibbits...Nottingham firm. They were invented by a schoolfriend of my Mothers who was the common law wife of Jim Crookshank (Crooky Crisps) Like a few others became a rich man, because crisps were one of the few snacks that weren't on ration during and after the war.

!englandflag! Here's a curved ball, from the wife!! anyone remember 'potato puffs'? !inthebin!

Sounds like an Irish shirt lifter

Graham Norton any one

Hey Biffstik!!

It was a serious question, SWMBO ain't got much of a memory but she needs to know about this...............you're old enough to remember all these obscure things??????????????? !laughing! !laughing!

Hi Paulus,

Yes I can remember Potato Puffs, quite salty but when you ate one packet you wanted more, they were very tasty, they looked like little "pillows" made from very thin potato and very light, I can remember my young brother in law getting some money for his birthday and him spending it all on Potato Puffs, must have been a couple of quid so plenty of bags of them, they also used to sell them at school, I think about 3 old pence per bag

Rog

Can anybody remember a sweet from the early / mid 70s, they were white milky chewy sweets that came in a roll , a bit like Rolos in shape and packaging. The advert for them on telly concerened a youth pushing his granny in a wheelchair, and , after being given one to chew , she shoots off (Along the lines of the 'Red Bull adverts) shouting "Right on kid"

I can't for life of me remember what they were called .

You've done it again Ian, I remember that advert but like you I can't remember what they were called,now I will be thinking about it all day, (whilst I'm watching these Typhoons flying about)

!cheers!

Rog

You're welcome mate, keep your eyes peeled for the 'Reds' over Scampton way too

• 4 weeks later...

They've always been available..it's just that you guys haven't come across them.I don't stock them myself as my minimum price on a line is 10p...but I sell both as a 10p chew bar.

• 9 months later...

I can't find a picture of a Beechnut vending machine anywhere though

Close ??

gum.jpg

I think there's a Beechnut(or something very similar) vending machine in the good old Lincolnshire Poacher. Go left through the front door, down the single step and it's on the wall next to the bar immediately on your right.

• 9 years later...
On 5/28/2009 at 5:54 PM, poohbear said:

I've got the flying saucers..and peardrops..and acid drops,jelly beans.

Nuthalls mintoes long gone,my brother makes one that is identical..made with condensed milk..that's the secret... many mintoes made by other manufacturers have the same wrapper,but they are not the same without the right ingredients.

Posh dolly mixtures with the small square jap dessert in the mix are hard to get now.

As for Bassetts liquorice allsorts...they are not so good nowadays..bit dry...the ones made by Burtons the biscuit people are much more moist and tasty.

Quality Street mixture not what it used to be..Great Xmas pressy...but in 2007 the tin had 1.6 kilos... last year 1.3 kilos...same tin.. I think they think the public won't notice.If you have an old tin in your shed full of nuts and bolts and stuff, just notice the difference in size over the years.

Pascal coconut mushrooms about the best on the market now..Marzipan Teacakes and Buttered Brazils available again but hell of a price.

Decent coconut ice is available but I can hardly look at it...Aged about 10 I nicked a quid off my Mum and spent it on a huge bag full...Dad found out and lathered me with a clothes brush, first and last time he ever thrashed me... :sorry: haven't been able to eat coconut ice since...And I've still got that brush. :blush:

I know this post is old , but curiosity got the better of me 

Your brother wasn’t called Dave was he ?