Peardrop flavour is Amyl Acetate...When I was a kid I used it to kill butterflies to add to my collection....Maybe you'd better not tell that to the missus ;)

Hope you enjoyed your soft drink.... marvelous ingredients in that stuff...hope your keyboards ok.

00005779.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa - time to throw that batch away!

I hear ya - scary the stuff they put in almost everything! I switched to "Bush" tea! (Rooibos, Redbush, whatever - got a few boxes of the stuff last time I was home - Tetley's even!)

Keyboard seems O.K. and I seem to be breathing better too - amazing stuff that diet coke!

Nah you're wrong Firbeck, Sherbert dips had a lolly pop sherbert fountains had the liquorice

Remember Spangles? I think whoever made them made something similar shaped but tasting of peppermint

Rog

There were "Old English" Spangles too Rog , with butterscotch and Everton mint flavours

Old English, thats the other flavour I was thinking of, thanks for that Ian, can you remember Sweet Peanuts? a sort of peanut shell shaped sweet with crushed nuts inside very sweet but the crushed nuts had a hint of salt I think

Rog

What about liquorice (spanish) root?? bet that's not sold anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or doe's someone know otherwise?????? !englandflag!

I worked for Barnetts and we sold Sweet peanuts (Although we didn't make them anymore , just bought in bulk and re packaged as ours!!!)

Barnetts were still making (in 1990 any way)

Lunjeelers

Barnips

Peardrops

Chocolate Limes (My mum and dad met over a bag of Barnetts Chocolate Limes !!!)

Acid drops

Mixed Fruit drops

and

Bonfire toffee

All the rest , Jelly Beans, Jelly Babies, Peanut Brittle, Winter mixture, Dolly Mixtures etc etc were bought in, in bulk , and repackaged as there own !!!

I probably had 30 lines on the van , of which only 7 were Barnetts own. !!!

There was one bloke full time who made them , one lad who helped at peak times (Bonfire night etc). There were two 'Old dears' in the packing department, one office girl, and Old man Barnett who used to sit on his fat ar5e playing on his computer, and spouting on the evils of "The Booze" Nowt worse than a reformed Alcoholic. He had already drunk the company in to bankruptsy when I started working for them (Worst 2 years of my life !!) A bit of a difference in staffing levels to post war Radford eh??

Alan Barnett is dead now...I know you meant him when you mentioned the computer..he lived on it.The company continues, his sons run it.They make less and less of their own sweets now.The expertise was lost when Mick Barnett left 20 years ago...they just stick to the simple stuff now.In the seventies they employed about 25 people.

i3056_liquorice_root.jpg

Liquorice root still available in a good sweet shop or health food store.

Spangles were available in many flavours...makes you wonder why they were scrapped when every sweet shop in the country had them on the counter.

Cadbury's chocolate over here is made by Hersheys, not the same quality or taste as the UK Cadburys at all. Someone mentioned perfumed midget gems or somesuch item. That took me right back to being a little kid and getting a toy sweet shop for Christmas one year, with sweets and scales etc. They were tiny sweets, and perfumed. Dolly mixtures, midget gems and some red sweets half moon shaped.

Does anyone else eat a Mars Bar by nibbling off the chocolate first then the caramel then the fluffy bit? I have always eaten mine like that, same with a choc ice, chocolate goes first.

As a kid my faves were

Crunchie

Mars Bars

kali by the ounce [wet finger to dip in]

toffee by the tray, complete with hammer to break it up

Victory V

Fruit salad or liquorice toffees, 4 for a penny

liquorice imps

soft liquorice catherine wheels/pipes/shoe laces etc

tuffee fags

caramel or nut chocs in a box, couldn't stand the soft centres, especially turkish delight

My mam always called the above 'stick jaw'

The company continues, his sons run it.

I forgot one of his sons was there when I was , he sat on his 4r53 doing nothing too, and he was a right ignorant git too, I went out learning the ropes off of him for a couple of weeks and probably got 50 words out of him in all that time.

Another reason the company went t1t5 up , he used to bring all his bills in (Gas , Electricity ,car tax, insurance , mortgage etc) and pay them through the companies account!! so truth be told he was getting paid twice for doing nothing!!!

The actual staff I spoke of were great (Real salt of the earth Radford types) wouldn't say a bad word about any body , and always there on time etc.

As a kid my faves were

toffee by the tray, complete with hammer to break it up

Fruit salad or liquorice toffees, 4 for a penny

liquorice imps

Fruit salad...yep... the other was Blackjacks...still going.

Tray toffee with hammer was Walkers...still made...good stuff.

Liquorice imps...In the nineties I bought a job lot...in good condition but out of date (stuff didn't have dates on then) It wasn't till I bought the lot that I realised the 6p printed on the packet was actually 6D and then it clicked that they were actually over 20 years old...still perfect though...one good thing...liquorice lasts for ages.

OK I need help. I can't think of a toffee bar I used to have as a kid. I don't think it was a Lion bar but something similiar. It had a wafer middle, peanuts and caramel on top all covered in chocolate. [this would be in the 50's]

I still get asked for Caramac...horribly sweet...an aquired taste methinks ;) Katyjay...was that a Nux bar?? Hazelnut in every bite was Cadbury's whole nut wasn't it?....

Love the way years ago they changed the Quality Street chocolate brazil nut to a hazel nut but kept the shape like a brazil...conning gits...

Just reminded myself of a story from a few years back on BBCs Watchdog....Thunderbirds had been re-introduced on TV and Meltis the fudge people marketed a chocolate Thunderbird 2...unfortunately when the Thunderbird fan removed the coloured foil from his favourite rocket, the fine moulding underneath was a chocolate Santa.The Meltis spokesman couldn't see what the fuss was about.Not realising that kids are not easily taken in,similar shape but not the real thing.

A couple of oldies (to me) but goodies

Aztec , (raisin and nougat) and Texan (Nougat and raisin!!!)

Palm Toffee????????????? 2 layers of toffee with a fuit flavoured filling...........Banana..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

similar shape but not the real thing.

Are we talking about sweets or sex toys? !laughing!

Sorry.........

is there a difference! aged 14 or so one of our "hobbies" was to go in shops and ask for things we knew they didn't sell, like in a sweet shop and ask for bike wheel bearings or opposite way round jackie clayton's and ask for dolly mixtures, lol