Over the years manufacturers continually bring out new flavours and recipes...the majority finish up on the markets...they use us to clear out all their cock ups.Like the almond Mars bar and the 'Special edition' orange Kit Kat.

They reintroduced the Wispa bar a few months back with a massive promotion...only difference being it was about 20p more expensive...they must think the public are very gullible...unfortunately some are.

As for Walkers I think the only flavour crisp they haven't tried is three toed sloth and pomegranate. :rolleyes:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katyjay, your peanut, caramel and chocolate confection sounds like a Cadbury's Picnic.

Does anyone know what happened to Callard and Bowsers liquorice and their nuggit (sic) wrapped in rice paper? And can you still get Nuttals's Mintos? - my old dad loved them.

Nuthalls mintoes long gone...my brothers version are the nearest to the original...Callard & Bowsers...not sure,haven't seen their stuff for a long time.There are so many established firms that have gone to the wall.

When I was a young 'un on my meat delivery round (Saturday morning) one of the old dears I delivered to always gave me 4 Nuthalls Mintos as a tip. They lasted me till the end of the Notts County game in the afternoon !! (I suppose if it had been F0r35t it would have felt a lot longer) .......LOL

I still get asked for Caramac...horribly sweet...an aquired taste methinks ;) Katyjay...was that a Nux bar?? Hazelnut in every bite was Cadbury's whole nut wasn't it?....

Love the way years ago they changed the Quality Street chocolate brazil nut to a hazel nut but kept the shape like a brazil...conning gits...

Absolutely loved caramac and would you believe it in our local choitrams (supermkt) they have it!!!!!! and yes it is really sweet!

Had a conversation a couple of years ago with a lady in old traditional sweetshop in southwell and although she stocks some old favourites that I remember as a child (white mice, chocolate daggers etc) that they weren't the same ingredients????

They use mostly corn syrup these days in confectionery, cheaper than sugar! I steer clear of anything with corn syrup in as it's a health hazard and also leaves a nasty sour after taste in my mouth. Sugar is bad enough, but corn syrup poses health problems that are showing up in obesity and diabetes. Time they used ALL corn syrup up in ethanol plants for fuel!

They use mostly corn syrup these days in confectionery,

The old fashioned manufacturers don't...sugar and glucose is the mainstay, always has been. As for sugar being bad for you...over the years so is booze,sex,dairy products,and dodgy politicians.

Kali - I've wanted to mention this for some time,,,, but never knew how to spell it. Tried looking it up on Google, but again = nowt. We used to get this at the sweetshop that was attached to the bakery at the back of the Carlton Board School, on Station Road. It came in all flavours (or colours any way,,,,, after about 30 seconds they all tasted the same.) Although we all had at least one clean finger (?!?!) it beggers belief what might have been on it before then ??

Spanish Root: - My old dad was a Knight of the Road (Lorry driver to you young 'uns) & carried varied loads. One such load was bales of this root. It was actual roots though, not the straight sticks that we knew. It wasn't until we arrived at a sweet factory, that I realised what it was. I must have took half hundredweight home with me. There were chunks of strange root all over the place for many many years,,,,,,,,

My fave at the time was also Midget Gems. Did you ever notice that the price of sweets never seemed to go up in price ? They were mostly all the same price as well.

,,,, the 'perfumed' (smaller) midget gem types were called Floral Gums,,, and they did taste like flowers,,,,

just done a couple of searchers,,,, and 99% of the things mentioned here are still available,,,, including kali !

Did you ever notice that the price of sweets never seemed to go up in price ? They were mostly all the same price as well.

I sell £1 bags on the markets...in 2000 275gms...2005 250gms...today 225gms, compare that with other foodstuff nowadays..

In 2000 a tin of Heinz soup was 30 odd,today 85p.

Last December 6pack Tescos own brand dog food tins £1.86...today £2.81...Tinned tomatoes have doubled over the last year,and eggs.

I know a year ago the price of wheat rocketed because of a world wide shortage...so the price of animal feed shot up.But even so somebody is making a packet ...even a tin of Heinz beans has doubled in the last 12 months.

And as for the price of a pint....... ;)

The price of a bag of sweets is still good value...though chocolate bar lines have gone through the roof.

,,,, talking of the price of wheat,,,,

I don't know about now, but when we had our shop, almost everybody in the world was effected by one man. This was Garfield Weston (he of WESTONS Biscuits).

His business and politics meant that he - single handedly - controlled the price of wheat (ie: flour). In the 60's (probably before then as well as after) he would put the price of wheat up a fraction of a cent, for no apparent reason, other than to put another lining in his own pocket.

Because of this stronghold, there arn't many people that wern't effected by this mans dealings and whims.

This may still be the same,,,,,,,,, or someone else,,,,,, I havn't looked into it for a while.

That name rings a bell...Some years back there was an artificial pepper shortage created by one of the big boys in the Far East..Bulk buying and storage creating a shortage is a way of life for these mystery millionaire businessmen.

OK I need help. I can't think of a toffee bar I used to have as a kid. I don't think it was a Lion bar but something similiar. It had a wafer middle, peanuts and caramel on top all covered in chocolate. [this would be in the 50's]

I'm not sure if anyone came up with an answer but I'd bet it was a Nux bar. Can anyone remember the Wisp bar. It was orgasmic

I remember God looked down on chocolate lovers every where (about 1995) and said "I'm giving you a gift" and he gave us 'The Caramel Whispa" then the miserable b45t4rd went and with drew it a couple of years later !!

They were nice , fat city, but nice.

Used to go to the Naffi in chilwell depot as kids cos they sold all weird american sweets....had this stuff called 'Spanish Gold'....looked like a pack of dried worms....as kids we couldnt get enough of it.

Sweet tobacco's back on the market...pricy though. the Olde Worlde Candee Shoppees will flog it ok at their prices.

Remember...???

Horlicks tablets...

Bar 6...

Satin Cushions...

5 boys chocolate bars...

Fry's Five Boys!

Marathon, Wisp and all those are "new" as far as I am concerned - I believe Marathon came out in the early '70's

Glad to hear that liquorice root (or whatever) is still available - I remember it well!

Did you know that a "Park Drive" cigarette would fit down the center of a tube of Polo Mints! That caused Polos to be considered "contraband" in some coal mines!

How about:

Pontefract cakes

Liquorice Comfits - liquorice torpedoes

Tooty Frooties

Flying Saucers

Black Jacks

Aniseed balls

Gob stoppers

Lucky bags

Even when you can find the old sweets they seem not to be the same, or perhaps I'm getting old!

All thoses still around...

Some years back I thought I'd have a mars bar...aint had one since I was a kid..Spat it out, far too sweet...same with fudge,used to love it, but too sweet now.As for Caramac...Yuuuuuuk!! I think the old taste buds slip into savoury mode after your teens.