Does anyone remember Swisskit, must have been early 70's. The guy in the ad used to do daring things and then say 'I'll risk it, for a Swisskit' I helped a friend in her newsagents one time and a guy asked for one of these bars and I quoted the saying to him and he looked at me like I was barmy. Obviously never saw the ad. It was a short lived chocolate bar.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic...

On my sweet stall on Sunday an old lady quizzed me on my range of sugar free sweets..

"Are these really Sugar Free?"

"Yes love like the sign says."

"Only I'm diabetic and it's important that they are."

"Yes dear no problem...I wouldn't advertise them as sugar free if they weren't,I would be in a lot of trouble."

"Not half the trouble I'd be in...I'm diabetic you see."

"No problem love ...the ingredients are displayed here for you to read if you want to."

"But are you sure they're sugar free..........You never know what you are buying on a market."

"I'm a bit busy love...would you do me a favour?"

"What?"

"Go to 'Boots' there's a good lass...I haven't got a bible to swear on."

On being asked why Mars bars and Snickers have been reduced in weight by 7.2% a spokesman for Mars UK claimed "the switch to smaller sizes was designed to help tackle the nations obesity crisis"

And I thought bulls*** only came out of the mouths of politicians...It seems that those at the top in any profession think we are just a load of gullible prats.

How come then their advertising doesn't spout how they have reduced the weight for our own good?

I'd always believed that the size of chocolate bars had always varied from time to time according to cost pressures on the manufacturers.

Metrication was the biggest boon for the manufacturers. If you're selling a 8oz bar of cocolate and you reduce the weight to 7oz it's a hell of a lot more noticeable than a reduction from 225g to 200g.

If I'm buying loose sweets I still buy by the quarter. !englandflag!

..."the switch to smaller sizes was designed to help tackle the nations obesity crisis"

So why don't they switch to a lower price to help tackle the nation's economic crisis?

Metrication was the biggest boon for the manufacturers.

Same for the retailer...at the time of metrication a 7lb (3.178k) bag mysteriously became 3kilos...and guess what...same price.

The first thing I noticed about re-sized dudoo's was the Wagon Wheel. Man, they used to be huge, but ended up nearly the size of a ginger nut.......for the same price

After swimming at Noel Street Baths, we used to walk down towards Wilko's [soap factory] and pop into the sweet shop just before Radford Road. 3p for a wagon wheel and penny for a Woodbine ...he he...

And probably (possibly?) covered in real chocolate, poohbear will know...............he knows everything about dudoos :rolleyes:

Although Waggon Wheels are more than likely smaller than when we were kids...I think we have to remember that in childhood everything was bigger,hotter,snowier,tastier and cheaper than today.

As for quality of the chocolate...betcha life it's not as good today.

Frank! 3p for a Wagon Wheel; you were being robbed. When I was the form biscuit monitor you could have your choice of:

Peek Frean's Chocolate Borboun : 1d

Burton's Viscount : 2d

Burton's Cheesettes : 3d

Burton's Wagon Wheel : 3d

Bet Poohbear can't match those prices. !jumping!

Wagon Wheel Wiki

I remember Lucky bags or Jamboree bags as they were officially called costing 3d but can't remember what was in them. I think a couple of sweets and a toy, can you still get them?

Bet Poohbear can't match those prices.

Didn't sell 'em when you were a monitor in the forties :tongue:

Most lucky bags are a quid now...still the same ...pretty bag with sod all in it...and no window in the bag so you can see in.

Frank! 3p for a Wagon Wheel; you were being robbed. When I was the form biscuit monitor you could have your choice of:

Peek Frean's Chocolate Borboun : 1d

Burton's Viscount : 2d

Burton's Cheesettes : 3d

Burton's Wagon Wheel : 3d

Bet Poohbear can't match those prices. !jumping!

Wagon Wheel Wiki

HUGE bag of broken biscuits from the cake shop,top of Turney St.(Meadows) instead of lunch: 6d.!

Those were the days..Peake Freans and Elkes broken biscuits..I remember a stall next to BPS central market...loadsa biscuits...pic and mix we would call them now...Was it Joicies???

Just been buying for the weekend...Special offer for retailers at one of my wholesalers.Multipak of 20p candy sticks (candy cigarettes) 20% off.Wow!!!

An invoice from last November classifies this as a 10p line.Boy are we being ripped off.

Some manufacturers are really taking the p***

Read in the paper this morning that in the last year Chopped tomatoes have increased by 73% Broccoli 43% carrots 18% All supermarkets making gigantic profits and not passing on any savings...

Welcome to rip off Britain.

Mum and Dad wouldn't let us have 'Lucky bags' as kids , we were told they were "Full of trash" , one of those sayings that sticks in the memory bank!!

Now what about 'Jubbly's' (Jubblies) I can still get them but they are tiny now, I remember if I got one it would last for hours , nowadays I put them in a glass of pop instead of ice , (£1 for 20 from Morrisons, you have to freeze them yourselves though)

Freeze pops are the one line that are still a bargain...10p for an ice lolly...can't be bad ...mind you they cost sod all to make...water with flavouring.

I was on about those funny triagular shaped things. Real value (Half the size mind) at 5p each . They must be smaller as I can fit one in a high ball glass!!

Jubblies and Calypsos, cost 3d didn't they, one of mans greatest inventions when you were a kid.

The trouble with Jubblies is that if you went off to play in the woods for the afternoon, and they did last for hours, they tended to get clagged up with all sorts of muck and filth. It used to be difficult trying to play '10 eyes open, 10 eyes closed' and keeping your Jubbly safe.

Off all things, they were the real life savers on a hot day.

I was reminded of Kali, something I'd forgotten about, my old man always used to refer to being p@ssed as being 'kalied', whats the connection.

As I recall jubblies were 4d, used to get them frozen from jack padgets shop (actually front room of mid terrace house) were great when first opened frozen but you soon sucked all the orange out and finished up with a lump of ice, in the end he stopped freezing them after complaints they were causing stomach upsets, other shops I recall was Swindle's yes actually his name, corner of egypt rd/nottm rd and Raftevold's (think a dane or something) sold some great 1d cobs that we bought coming home from claremont primary

Frank! 3p for a Wagon Wheel; you were being robbed.

Doh!

Of course, as you pointed out, I meant 3d. he he

I was a junior prior to Decimalisation Day 21st February 1971. Another rip off day in the history of Britain.

Euro Day coming up.