What are you reading at the moment?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Just finished Ian Rankin's latest Rebus offering, thoroughly enjoyed it ! so made me start reading his first novels again, right back to the beginning of Rebus.

Just love Rankins way with words and dark humour he gets into the story.

Me too - really enjoyed it and it's great to see Rebus back! He doesn't change - except even maybe a bit more gallus!

When you know Edinburgh you understand the way that Rankin expertly keys into the dichotomy of the city - it's slightly austere, middle-class exterior with a seamy underside.

Hope to see Rebus back for more, he's been missed.

I like the look of that Stu...where did you purchase it from?

I'm currently reading: Kraftwerk - Publikation by David Buckley. It's a biography of the pioneers of electronic music....very interesting.

It's very good, Gibbo, lots of local interest as the author returns to his Sherwood Estate roots several decades after leaving. You can get it for eight or nine pounds at Waterstones or Amazon.

Went to see his talk about it at Lowdham Book Festival. he's a very humorous and entertaining chap.

http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/lowdham-book-festival-2/

The present wife has just bought me 'My Father and other Working Class Football Heroes' by Gary Imlach, son of Stewart, looking forward to reading it, heard a lot about it.

An absolutely fantastic read, as said on another thread somewhere. Makes you realise just how much you could relate to the players at that time unlike the overpaid millionairres that are now the order of the day.

I had not realised how hard done to those heroes of ours were at the time, there was no celebrity "status" with all the attendant publicity that is the norm today, then they were celebrities on the back page of the Post, (or the front page if it was The Pink 'Un) or on the pitch every Saturday

Gary Imlach's outstanding book is in my humble opinion as a good a read about the sporting world that you'll ever likely find. It captures the era expertly and intimately.

• 2 weeks later...

http://barnze.wordpress.com/

Am tellin me mam

This blog contains the author\’s own personal views and he will not take any responsibility for the misuse and/or misinterpretation of the material or any of the links provided here. this blog contains moaning, bitching, ranting,bullshit,swaring, is prone to minor perversity and huge prejudices. It is purely for infomative and/or entertainment purposes. Lastly, the author has nothing to prove, and he reserves the right to be as pointless or as serious as he likes so there.

Barnze is a member here.

I was a little worried when his blog stopped, but he has posted on it recently.

Sadly not as often. I hope he is OK.

I have been reading

The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre by the Men and Women Who Were There.

A bit drawn out with details of staff and life at the park, but very interesting in places regarding codebreaking the Enigma.

Bletchley+Park.jpg

• Upvote 1

Re-reading "Playing the Enemy" by John Carlin - it is the story of how Mandela managed to get the whole of South Africa behind the World Cup rugby team in 1995 - and the basis for the movie "Invictus". It is a fascinating story and gives a lot of insight into the political situation in SA after Mandela's release and up to the world cup final.

Just finished James Herbert's The Rats, The Lair And The Domain. Now starting James Herbert The Magic Cottage if its half as good as the Rats Trilogy I'm in for a treat

Hi Paul. I commented on another thread about James Herberts' books. I have only recently started reading his books and, like you, can't put them down. I'm about to start reading Moon....can't wait!!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah read it back to back with Pretty Boy by Roy Shaw , King of the Gypsies by Bartley Gorman is a cracking read , I'm sure the Shane Meadows was making it into a film ?

It got cancelled when Lenny Maclean died , I can't remember his name now , but there was somebody lined up to take Lennys part, he was in Cliffhanger with Stallone (Playing a Dick van Dyke style cockney thug!) he was in Eastenders too.

I forgot to mention that I' reading all the James Bond Novels written by John Gardner at the moment. I was reading them way back in the 80s when he started writing them, but had a break for a few years, I bought a 9 of them from "The Works" at a fiver for three, and am just on the last one now . I still need another 5 then I'm up to date with him.
Trouble is, a site on fleabay selling second hand copies (Of loads of books) wants 99p for the book and 2 pounds each for P+P, no reduction for buying more than one book !

So I thought 'your loss' I'll source them elsewhere.

It got cancelled when Lenny Maclean died , I can't remember his name now , but there was somebody lined up to take Lennys part, he was in Cliffhanger with Stallone (Playing a Dick van Dyke style cockney thug!) he was in Eastenders too.

Craig Fairbrass, it came to me when I was driving over to Chester this afternoon.

http://www.gorepress.com/2010/10/13/craig-fairbrass-interview/