What are you reading at the moment?

Anyone have any: Edward Marston Raiway Detective books for sale or swaps?

I have The Iron horse and The Excursion Train.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Just started; Unearthing Churchill's Secret Army, all about the heroic SOE, top secret during & after the war. Some were trained in the woods around beaulieu, there's now a museum in an old cottage on the estate, it's fascinating for those that enjoy spy stories........

been to town today picked up alan dance sequeal to narrow marsh into the 3rd chapter already.

• 6 months later...

babs ,

Is Leen Times any better than Narrow Marsh ?

I'm two thirds the way through Narrow Marsh and was expecting a bit more gritty detail of the daily grind within the streets of the area . Basically , so far , this is a love story ......poor man , rich girl .

Some historical facts are hinted at , such as the murder of Elizabeth Shepherd by Charles Rotherham but even the names have been omitted .

Funnily enough I was wondering the other day if there are still any people living in Calais with Nottingham names after the migration of lace workers there in the early 1800s and I am now at the point in the book where our hero has gone to live and work there .

DAVIDW, I found both books to be a bit too "light" on substance and depth, even though I enjoyed "walking around" old Nottingham, and as you say the reference to actual historical fact is well done; machine breaking, electoral reform rioting, burning of The Castle, etc and an insight into the social and economic conditions prevailing at the time is well represented.

All said, I enjoyed them for what they are, and many thanks to my Brother for buying them for me as a pressie!

Thanks Commo I had better read it then , will look out for a cheap copy on ebay . I managed to get Narrowmarsh for a couple of quid including p&p on there .

Help!

I really want to read some of the books you all talk about, based on Nottingham and the people. I am not a big book reader and have wasted money in the past on books that i have lost interest in within the first few pages. Please can you give me a few titles to look for. I would find life stories of ordinary working class people living in and around Nottm in past times interesting. I know every one will have different preferences, but i will be interested in any pointers. Thankyou Nottstalgians, I await your offerings. :Friends:

I peruse a book titled simply - Nottingham 'Trolleybuses' which I bought from the Nottingham Information Centre in the Council House.

It cost over £30 years ago, don't know what it costs today - but it is excellent.

Over 300 large pages, thousands of photos of Nottingham Trolleybuses, and so much hisorical detail about them!

Anyone interested in Nottingham Trolleybuses, I can recommend it.

Cheers. :cheers:

TGC,

I am sure there will be some members here on Nottstalga who will be very interested in your book on Nottingham 'Trolley buses'.There are enthusiasts on most things on this Forum.

For myself i like to read about the life experiences of the working class Nottingham people from times gone by. Thank you for the tip, i will definitely call at the Information Centre at the Council Houses next time we are in Nottingham.

carni:

Thanks for the reply gal.

I also find reading of old times in Nottingham engrossing.

There are many books of old Nottingham available at the Council Info office for sale - I think you might e tempted when you see them - I was.

TTFN midduck!

• Upvote 1

Carni, re #61, my Sister in Law used to work for the Library service and latterly at the premises on Angel Row which at that time also housed the tourist Information centre, and it was from their bookshop that a lot of my "Nottingham Library" originated.

Don't know if the T.I. is still there, but on your next jaunt to The Fair City, have a browse around there, or alternatively I think there is a good second hand bookshop in Sherwood, I think Clif Ton or Bubble may be able to give more info on that.

• Upvote 1

Carni, try Joy James's book Yo'd mek a parson swear. True stories about her own life in Nottingham. Then there is the two books, Independent Street, and Independent Street at War, by Joan Wallace. Both are fiction about people living in Nottingham before and during WW2. They are based on real life.

I am reading Leen Times by A R Dance. It is a sequel to Narrow Marsh by the same author. Both books are about Nottingham people living in the early 19th century. Fiction based on fact.

:biggrin: Hi Carni, I'm sure you'll be interested in 'Bromley House Library': 'A flourishing independent lending library, operating continuously since 1816'. Address is: Bromley House, Angel Row, Nottingham, NG1 6HL.

w: www.bromleyhouse.org

Thank You to you all,

Well i have to say, I knew you would come up with some suggestions on Book Titles for me but you have surpassed my expectations by far! I can't wait to come to Nottingham and start my search. I can tell by the information you have all given me that i am about to spend some serious dosh.

The books about Nottingham and the people in war times sound just up my street, so they are definitely on my list, plus the many more titles you recommend to try. As much as i would like to, I don't think i will be able to bring books from the Library as i would not be able to return them in time,i don't get to Nottm often enough. I will be over in December and will have a day Book searching.

smile2

Do you have an E Reader Carni? Some of them can be used for borrowing books from libraries and they just disappear from your reader when the time is up. Kindle is no good as you can't borrow books on that.

Radfordred #72

Thank you for recommending the Book titled 'Broxtowe Boy' I have added it to my list. I had a quick look at part of his interview and it looks very interesting.

I don't have an E Reader or a Kindle as i had given up on ever finding books that kept me interested. I have always loved reading anything about Nottingham and surrounding areas and especially the local peoples stories. So keep the Titles coming for me, and perhaps I can get into some good reading.Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit OT , so didn't know where else to put it . Alright for a dull and dank Sunday afternoon !

Go here and answer a few multi-choice questions and it will tell you who your personality is most like , from fictional books .

https://frozen-everglades-6644.herokuapp.com/

I'm Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice....I'll take that , at least its not Quasimodo !