What are you reading at the moment?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

She's dishy !

Lady from a trilogy of films called The Hunger Games . Never seen the films but she was interviewed on telly the other day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katniss_Everdeen

Dont know if its been mentioned before, but my son gave me a book called "Gangs of Nottingham" by Carl Felstrom.

A hard and gritty look at the original Bestwood boys and for me some interesting stuff, including some work colleages that I used to work with on BT in Nottm in the 80's.

You are Dr. Watson from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

You might prefer the company of one good friend to a crowd but, despite this introversion, you maintain an offbeat sense of humour your friends and colleagues love. Even though you place trust in a sense of law and order, you are flexible enough to blur lines should your friends ask for a spot of burglary in an excellent cause.

On tough days, when you’re suffering from certain over-bearing colleagues, you might feel inadequate and defensive. However, you balance this with good intuition and often surprisingly good people skills, not least your fierce loyalty to friends.

Mmmmm?

• 10 months later...

Just finished Richard Hell - I dreamed I was a very clean tramp - If you like your punk good read.

& this morning I've just put the Second Half by Roy Keane & KP The Autobiography by Kevin Pietersen in my amazon basket not sure which to buy or both?

Save your money radfordred, they'll both be on car boot sales before Christmas.

• Upvote 1

I'd opt for Roy Keane if any RadfordRed. At the moment I've been reading 'Isabels Daughter' by Judi Hendricks. Good read thus far. I think I've mentioned before but for any avid readers on here. The website 'Goodreads' is brilliant for keeping track of your reading progress and also gives recommendations you may like as well as being able to give books reviews and reading others reviews!

• 5 months later...

I've been reading crime novels for the past year or so now and am enjoying them, authors like Anne Cleeves, Reginald Hill, Sharon Bolton, Jo Nesbo etc. Has anyone read any of John Harvey's Resnick series? I know they are set in and around Nottingham, just wondered if anyone would recommend them.

Reading Paperboy by Christopher Fowler, his biography set in the 60's. He writes detective novels set in London featuring two old detectives called Bryant and May, which are very entertaining. I've read most of them.

I've always been a fan of Jo Nesbo, Stuart MacBride and Andy McNab, amongst others. I've recently finished the latest offering from each of those authors and each took me nearly a week. I've now realised that for each author, the latest story is just a re-hash of all their previous ones, almost like repeats on telly. So I've junked them from now on. Is it just me or does anyone else find this?

I've been reading Lady Chatterleys Lover.... very erotic for its day. No wonder it was banned!

Remember passing it round furtively under the desks at school,with the pages of the 'dirty bits' folded back. lol.

• Upvote 1

Just read This Bloody Mary (is the Last Thing I Own) by the late Jonathan Rendall. One mans journey through the murky world of professional boxing. Written in the late nineties.

Now picking up Child 44 - well received thriller novel by British Writer Tom Rob Smith around a serial killer of children in 50s Moscow. A film version is out soon with Tom Hardy and Gary Oldham.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

I've just finished reading "One Way Out" , the inside story of the Allman Brothers Band. My God, what a read.

You can forget ALL stories of bad assed rock bands. These are the ultimate. Forget The Stones, Led Zep, AC / DC, Guns & Roses, Motley Crue etc. These boys were unbelievable. The most tattoos, the longest hair.

Drink problems, copious amounts of every drug imaginable and some that weren't. Greed, paternity suits, theft, deaths and even murder.

They began in the 60's and quickly got into drinking and drug abuse. This disrupted the once amicable atmosphere. Tempers got frayed, musical differences emerged, jealousy over songwriting royalties and publishing rights. The untimely deaths of Duane Allman and Berry Oakley. The murder of a record company employee by members of the road crew who were mainly tough Vietnam Vets.

However they did manage to stick together for 45 years on and off. An enthralling read.