What are you reading at the moment?

I'm halfway through reading (on my iPad/Kindle) 'Bella Poldark' by Winston Graham. It's the twelfth and last book in the Poldark series and I've found them all riveting - will feel quite bereft when I've finished them all. The genre is hard to define as they aren't just historical romance novels - there's a good wedge of the political situation in this country at that time, and the wars involving Napoleon and Wellington..... Bit gory in parts but obviously a true reflection of how battles used to be fought before the advent of even basic motorised vehicles, let alone aircraft. There's also an underlying history of tin and copper mining in Cornwall and the social history of the very poorest in society. These books have proved to be just as addictive as Nottstalgia!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Recently finished....

James Herbert The Magic Cottage Alright till the end.

Stephen King Full Dark Stars Didn't like it at all. Didn't even finish the first story.

Harlan Coben Six Years Enjoyed it very much.

Last night I finished Niki Valentine The Haunted Enjoyed it until the ending.

It seems that the writers sometimes don't know how to wind up the story and spoil the end with anything that pops into their head. Shame

Tonight I am starting a new book. Kate Mosse The Winter Ghosts.

All my books are from Charity Shops. All these Ghosties. No wonder I can't sleep!

• Upvote 1

What's the magic cottage like Carni?..I think after Jonah,I stopped reading Herbert. The local train station here has shelves in the waiting room,I drop books off every couple of months.Then pick up new ones,people and train travellers use this swap system.

I did enjoy the Magic Cottage. Lots of spooky happenings. Some where along the way, I felt as if I was reading two stories in one. It led you to a sect living up in a Bleak building not far from the cottage, who appeared to be friendly but....... In the end it seems the cottage was built in the center of evil, and the sect wanted it. By this time I was losing interest a bit, but if you like spooky books, it's OK.! I did enjoy reading it, but skipped some lines.

I've stopped reading fiction, the latest offerings from my regular authors, Nelson Demille, John Grisham, Stuart MacBride and Andy McNab, Chris Ryan and Jo Nesbo were great disappointments.

I'm presently reading Long Way Round - Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman, great stuff..

The Lie - Helen Dunmore.

An intriguing tale, a quiet tragedy about Daniel Branwell who has returned to his native Cornwall from France in 1918 . He comes back to a village full of absences and the news that his mother is dead and he is homeless. Mary Pascoe, an elderly recluse, allows him to build a shelter and scratch a rudimentary living from her land. But when the old woman falls ill, she makes Daniel promise to spare her the indignity of doctors and the prospect of dying in the poorhouse. It then gets very sad as the consequences of his lie ,that she is ill, to other members of the community unfold.

#49 which Jo Nesbo disappointed TBI? I started reading his stuff last year, enjoyed The Son but disappointed Harry Hole wasn't in it!! Must admit I've been reading them out of sequence, don't see them very often in the charity shop but have discovered the wonders of the Kindle!! Am just on the third of Millenium finding it heavy going though trying to understand all the secret service stuff but The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was

unputdownable.

I also like the Ian Rankin, John Grisham, Val McDermid and Peter James books. I prefer any books to their film or TV adaptations as reading makes the brain work, setting scenes and picturing the characters.

Enigma by Robert Harris. A novel based on true events at Bletchley Park during WWII.

Just finished "Passchendaele the Hollow Victory" and "Wounded - The Long Journey Back" Both excellent, eye opening, factual books about WWI .

The Hut 6 Story by Gordon Welchman (Enigma - Bletchley Park WW11)

Just finished - The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson. (Novel)

• Upvote 1

A programme about the Hut 6 project was on tv the other week. Absolutely fascinating, a truly enthralling programme for once.

Just about to start reading "Faces, Had Me A Real Good Time. Before, During and After ".

It tells the story of the formation of the Faces group after the demise of the Small Faces up to Rod and Ronnies departure for fame and fortune. I saw them literally dozens of times and it was always a party atmosphere and great fun.

• Upvote 1

Just started Pie Night, by Stuart Maconie. He's a British Bill Bryson, with a truly Northern outlook, so maybe a little foreign for some of you. It'll make you laugh and cry, and is an ideal bog book - each chapter is self-contained, so you can dip in and out, and it's just the size, in hardback, to balance on your knees.

• Upvote 1

Just finished and enjoyed, 'Dune' by Frank Herbert and started 'Dissolution', by C J Sansom. I'm not too keen on historical novels but this is a good 'who done it' of Tudor times.

• Upvote 1

Tomlinson,hope you get hooked by Shardlake and read the whole series, I find them a great read. They are not only good storylines and good writing, they also show the aspects of daily life in Tudor Times.

I have read and thoroughly enjoyed the whole of the Shardlake series. they are well researched and well written books. Recommended.

Cold War,(building for nuclear confrontation 1946-1989) an English heritage publication,it's surprising just how many front line nuclear sites were within a ten mile radius of where I now live (about five miles from RAF Waddington)

Rog

Waddo itself was a base for Vulcans when I was in the RAF late 60s. What a sight they were as they took off though!

• 2 weeks later...

Vulcan XL319 is said to have flown between the hangars at RAF Honington on 17th Jun 1978 but that was after my time so I cannot say if it is true. Honington is now home to a RAF Rock Apes (Regiment).