What are you reading at the moment?

There were some crazy things done in those days. I was on 1Sqdn at West Raynham when Flt Lt Al Pollock flew a Hunter through Tower Bridge. He was a great pilot and one of the few officers I knew of who was held in genuine respect.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

#68. That's nothing. George Formby flew a plane into a hangar, with the doors shut at the other end, and they were opened in time for him to fly through. Honest, I have seen the film of it !!!

To "Fight With Friends" Diaries of some old fashioned officer called Capt.C.May, during WWI. He appears to see the soldiers as some kind of low-life that deserves the mud of the trenches whilst he and his fellow officers enjoy meals and wine in hotels. He and his fellow officers also enjoy jolly jaunts off to town whenever the fancy takes them. He "bought it" on 1st July 1916, the first day of the battle of the Somme. I have to say that I have little sympathy for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Britannia calls by local writer David Nunn I met him at a talk about his book in Coningsby village hall a couple of years back,the book is aboutNottingham schools and the push for Great War victory,School teachers from Nottingham that were called up to fight in that terrible war,lot of schools listed that are no longer around,very interesting for Nottingham history fans

Rog

I'm currently reading a book about the flights of the Avro Vulcan Bombers that flew to the Falkland islands during the 1982 invasion by Argentina.

Vulcan 607 by Rowland White.

Very gripping stuff of the training build up and final attack. Best of all it's true !

• Upvote 2

Thats a good read Banjo48,gripping stuff,the actual Vulcan 607 is about five miles up the road from my house on the A15 at Waddington

Rog

As an addendum to this #86, I remember as a teenager around the 60's, seeing the Vulcan regularly take off and land at Hucknall airfield, the runway was just visible from mums back veranda up on the Arnold side of Mapperley tops. With binoculars it was clearly visible.

Also it was regularly seen in the Nottm skies around that time too.

Nothing mentioned in the book so can only assume it was the testing phase of the newer bigger RR301 engines mentioned in the above book, which was fitted to some of the vulcan fleet to give more bomb payload.

I'm only half way through the book at the moment.

Banjo, the Vulcan at Hucknall (there were two of them) tested the Conway engine, as fitted in the Victor Mk.2 and the Boeing 707 airliner. The Vulcans in RAF service were powered by Bristol Olympus engines. The last mark of these engine (and the most powerful) was the Olympus 301, the engine you refer to. Rolls-Royce took over Bristol in 1966, but for years the Olympus was still known by its Bristol name.

• Upvote 1

#86 The fishing pal I mentioned went to the Vulcan annual dinner 3 wks ago and spoke to the pilot who flew the 607 on the Falklands mission. Said that he was a very nice, unassuming chap.

Pal is lending me the book when I see him on Monday.

Thanks for the 'heads up' with this one.

btw my pal earnt the nickname of 'Bomber' after telling us how he ran his tractor into a ditch when carrying bombs on a trailer. The tractor stopped suddenly and a bomb became unshipped and bounced past the stationary tractor! Won't tell you his name but it is similar to Harris.

• 2 months later...

I had a big job to do on the computer with Skype meetings, shared documents, forms and spreadsheets. All very interesting but when I had finished I needed a break from the screen. I needed a good book. A few weeks ago when visiting a second hand bookshop I bought The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood. A couple of years ago I read Oryx and Crake by the same author and that was brilliant. The Year Of The Flood is the next in the series and I could not put it down once I started reading. The books tell the story of a massive genetic engineering disaster compounded by disease and an environmental disaster. Margaret Atwood's style of writing is riveting and she weaves a complex tale brilliantly introducing a range of characters and telling their stories and how they interact. The third book in the series is MaddAddam. I am on the look out for this one now!

• Upvote 1

One I spotted in the library a couple of weeks ago and thought it might be a good read was 'Northern and Proud'

It's the biography of Bob Stokoe, manager of Sunderland FC in the 1970s, also manager at Bury, Blackpool and Carlisle amongst others.

There's interesting accounts of when Don Revie offered him a bribe to throw a game, also his bust up with Cloughie which was never reconciled and of course his epic time at Sunderland when, as a second division side, they won the FA cup.

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, highly recommended!

Just finished reading Mrs Simpson.............could'nt put it down,the politics of pre War Britain was unbelievable.................

I enjoy reading Auto-Biography's......and tend to have pre-concieved ideas on wether i like the Author or not..........anyway recently read one of Tony Blackburns,and now generally like him,having previously had mixed views.

Also just read one of Michael Barrymores who i liked........sorry to say changed my mind now,........sorry Michael A'Whight'........lol.

• Upvote 1

#61. tomlinson. Just re read some of this topic and noticed that you said you'd just read 'Dune'. I read the first 3 books a long time ago - before the film came out (which I didn't like at all btw as it didn't succeed in demonstrating the subtle parts in the life of other cultures and other planets, concentrating only on the obvious and 'in your face' stuff) Recently, I've just started rereading them, plus another 2 sequels and although I found them quite heavy-going at times, they are interesting. I do think, though, that the first one in the series is still the most enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading Burt Reynolds,''but enough about me''............great stuff and what a life,really interesting stuff,......did'nt realise Judy Carne was English,let alone born and died in Northants in a village near i once lived..........