What are you reading at the moment?

Burt Reynolds......just finished it,loved one of his Quotes..............''I've always enjoyed making fun of myself,and I won't stop now;'' my bullsh*t detector has improved with age''

and his final paragraph...........''As I look back, I,m proud of my accomplishments and disappointed with my failures. I always wanted to experience everything and go down swinging.Well so far so good. I know i'm old,but I feel young. And there's one thing they can never take away; Nobody had more fun than I did.

Nice one Burt.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Started reading a Autobiograthy by Coleen Nolan,dont particulary like her but the wife bought it,........i'm about half way through it and the highlights so far are her time with Shane Ritchie,who i do like)..........hes very very funny...........

Bryson is a brilliant writer and his books are so full of interesting facts about things we don't even think about until reading them. He loves taking the mickey out of us too. I have a friend who says he would never consider reading his books because Bryson takes the pi$$ out of the Brits. So what?

• Upvote 4

Maybe we deserve it Lizzie. We're not perfect. Not quite. LOL

I used to like the Kelly Monteith TV series about 30 years ago. His observations were truly remarkable. A good laugh.

It's a poor person who has difficulty laughing at themselves. They're missing something.

To take the wee wee is a British/Nottingham thing..........i love it taking or giving,....to laugh at yourself is good................anyone who can't take it are usually miserable buggers anyway.............

• Upvote 5

Just read this in a weekend supplement.

Geoff Hurst gave a speech recounting how a cabbie kept peering at him as he drove him to Heathrow Airport. Eventually, he said; "Come on mate, give us a clue?"

"Sir Geoff Hurst M.B.E," his famous passenger replied, "played 500 games for West Ham, scored 250 goals, played for England 49 times and still the only man to ever score a hat-trick in a World Cup final!"

To which the cabbie replied: "No, you prat,what terminal do you want?'

• Upvote 4

Currently reading Col.John Hunt's version of the 1953 ascent of Everest. Simply called "Everest". (Hardback with illustrations).

Bought this morning 'sexy beasts'........the inside story of the 'Hatton Garden Mob'.......by Wensley Clarkson.

• 1 month later...

Bought the latest edition of Bygones today. I don't normally purchase it, as 90% of it is waffle, and not about the front page headline.

However, this has got a good article on old Arnold, a good piece on early pop festivals and a great article on the much mentioned group Tristram Shandy. Also a good bit about Nottingham Castle, Players, old Nottm buildings, a snippet about Bulwell and a good piece on Forests legends. All in all, a good read for once.

• Upvote 1

In the last few months I have read: Return to Litlle Dribbling by Bill Bryson, Fatherland by Robert Harris, SS:GB by Len Deighton, a few Sherlock Holmes and Richard Hannay stories. At the moment I'm reading The Spy who Came in From The Cold by John Le Carre, As you can see I read a mixture of genres, all of which I enjoy....

• Upvote 1

On The Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche. This book is part of Nietzsche's (unfinished) project to unseat the (as he saw it) failings of Christian morality and replace it with something better (a project he called the revaluation of all values).

• Upvote 1

I am re-reading The Real Cruel Sea, by Richard Woodman.(I sometimes read again the books in my library and enjoy them as if I had never read them before). This superb book of 780 pages tells the story of the submarine warfare in the Atlantic between 1939 and 1943. The say it is harrowing is an understatement. During this period the 'success' was all one way - the German Navy's. It would not be an exaggeration to say that it was state-sponsored murder. It details the sinkings of all the ships during that period, many of which went down with all hands. Some of the survival stories make you wonder just how people could survive in an open boat, sometimes for weeks. Such was one boat - all in it gradually died (suicide was a popular way out) until just two were left. Scorched by the sun, with only rain water to drink (if it rained) they eventually reached South America and spent time in hospital recovering. One then made his way to New York, signed on to one of the convoy ship and went down with it after being torpedoed on the way across. Some were in open boats until the meagre food/water rations ran out. How about surviving each day after having a lick of a stick dipped into condensed milk.

I also re-read my books about code-breaking, which I find fascinating - I like reading about really-clever people.

I have developed a taste for historical novels, particularly about the Tudors. Am on the third book in a trilogy about the Boleyns - The Constant Princess, The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance. Fascinating reading, though I suspect there is a lot of poetic licence!!