What are you reading at the moment?

The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat is an excellent read as well Chulla as is all the Hebridean books by Peter May siddha. It's maybe time to revisit them....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Caught in the rain yesterday, I nipped in to a newsagents and bought The Blues Magazine. A bit pricey at £7.99, but as well as a good mag, there was a free CD of modern Southern Rock, and the Spring edition of Mascot Messenger, the rag of Mascot records.

All in all it was good value with articles on the re emergence of Southern Rock, Jeff Beck, live music venues, Kyla Brox, Lonnie Donegan, The Allman Brothers, Duane Allman, the Stones, Johnny Winter, Joe Bonamassa, and great record and gig reviews.

A damn good read.

• Upvote 1

Yes, 2.2 so-called Christians are wrong, as are millions of Koran readers and any other cult/creed/or whatever followers of religions. Religion is the most popular invention and the most popular hobby.. As I have said before, people will believe what they want to believe. That is Ok so long as they do not try to convince others of their belief, OK so long as laws are not based on religion and OK that young children are not coerced into believing what their brainwashed parents tell them.

History written in advanced, LL? I thought the scriptures were written some thirty years after the death of Jesus. Like I always say, just a book written by well-intentioned people, with not a single shred of evidence that any of it is true. CF, LL and Melissa; when you all die your existence in every form will cease to exist. What is wrong with that? You will not be aware of it. Who would want to spend an eternity in heaven wishing that you were back down on earth.

Read the books of Richard Dawkins, and watch and listen to him and Christopher Hitchens on YouTube, and if it is at all possible do so with an open mind. Oh, and there is a wonderful anti-God lecture by Stephen Fry. on YouTube.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. In my opinion heaven is a state of mind. My body can cease to exist but I believe my soul will leave on somewhere. Who knows for sure?

I read many of Dawkins books whilst writing my dissertation on Nietzsche and Darwin. I cannot abide the man.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

I am a devout coward when it comes to 'end of days'............at least my Christian belief gives me some comfort,.....i enjoyed being read the Bible stories at school and in my times of grief have turned to relevant parts of the Bible and found comfort.......anyway nowt up with its teachings all aimed at being a good person and giving love and compassion to others.............amen.............

• Upvote 3

Well said Benjamin. I keep trying to be a good person, but always seem to fail miserably.

Just finished (In order) since Christmas
The latest QI book
The Scrapper, a serious story by Brendan O'Carrol, of Mrs Browns Boys fame, I've also recently read his Mrs Brown trilogy, The Mammy, The Granny and The Chiselers................ Just discovered he's done another about Mrs Brown as a young girl too.
Notts County, On this day............... basically as it says , something that happened on this day regarding Notts County.

Trigger Mortis by Anthony Horowitz.............. The latest James Bond book
Currently re reading a QI book of general ignorance as I couldn't start my next project because I only owned numbers 2 and 3 in a quadrilogy, but the birthday bunny sourced them for me. So next up are 4 books by Andy McNabb relating to "The Boy Soldiers Adventures"

Edited to add: Re. #117

You seem to have no difficulty trying to convince others of your atheism my dear friend, Chulla. Please do not take anything I say as hostile I sincerely meant the dear friend bit. I have enjoyed our interactions over music and the organ. Hostility is not intended but any discussion of such emotive topics can easily come across that way so apologies in advance. Neither do I wish to start an extended discussion of theology, but you did make a couple of statements that deserve a response.

Quote: "History written in advanced, LL? I thought the scriptures were written some thirty years after the death of Jesus. Like I always say, just a book written by well-intentioned people, with not a single shred of evidence that any of it is true. CF, LL and Melissa; when you all die your existence in every form will cease to exist. What is wrong with that? You will not be aware of it. Who would want to spend an eternity in heaven wishing that you were back down on earth."u did "

I will cease to exist. Have you been there and returned to be so certain? What was the point of my existence? Are all my relatives and loved ones never to be seen and loved again? What kind of hope is that? Jesus spoke often of Heaven and Hell. Was He deceived or worse, a liar"

I have no desire to be back here when I go. Whatever for? it gets worse by the day. If I cease to exist I have lost nothing.

Scriptures written thirty years after the death of Jesus. The gospels were but what about the old Testament. The books of Moses, Pentateuch were written probably at least 1450 years BC. The prophets Jeremiah, Isaiah, Daniel etc approx 700 B.C. These books contain prophecies of the first coming of Christ. Fulfilled to the letter. No other world religious book claims to do that. The book of Revelation describes a period yet future. (That is what I meant by history written in advance) It may not be very far future. Jesus accepted those Old testament books as authoritative so to deny them is to call Him a liar.

Secular historians such as Josephus have confirmed the existence of Jesus.

Without exception the disciples gave their lives for the message they taught and lived. The Apostle Paul, a Jewish Pharisee converted on the Damascus road was beheaded in a Roman prison for his faith. He also wrote a large portion of what became our New Testament. Would you give your life for something you know to be a lie? I sure wouldn't.

If you would like a good read I suggest a book called "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowel. I believe this man was a lawyer so used to weighing evidence. After an in depth study he concluded the Bible was true.

Quote: "Read the books of Richard Dawkins, and watch and listen to him and Christopher Hitchens on YouTube, and if it is at all possible do so with an open mind. Oh, and there is a wonderful anti-God lecture by Stephen Fry. on YouTube."

There is nothing "wonderful" about an anti God lecture. There have been many such fro 100s of years. Some got converted some died in their unbelief that is up to them. I've listened to these guys in the past and come to the conclusion it is a waste of time. What do they hope to achieve? I'm not going to put my trust for eternity in what they teach. Anyway why be "Anti God" If He does not exist why try to prove He does not exist? Why so angry at one who does not exist?

The Bible says: Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Jesus said. John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

You tell me to listen to the above atheists with an open mind. I have heard them in the past they have nothing to offer me.

Let me offer you a similar challenge. Read the Gospel of John thoughtfully and with an open mind. It will offer you much more than Dawkins or Hitchins.

Peace

Dave

• Upvote 3

You know me and my views on religion. I was responding to the bait laid by Catfan in his #111. I have no intention of risking falling out with my religious-minded friends, so subject closed.

• Upvote 3
  • 3 months later...

Bought a fantastic book this morning. "SAS Rogue Heroes" by Ben Macintyre. It tells the story of the formation of the SAS in the Western Desert in 1941. Talk about the 'Dirty Dozen' and the 'Wild Bunch', these guys were it to a tee. The sweepings up of the public schools and the prisons. They were ill disciplined, super intelligent, hands on, psychotic, often violent, possess superb psychological stamina, cruel,  brave almost to the point of being suicidal, eccentric, ruthless renegades who were willing to take monumental risks. But also suffer rank incompetence and other human frailties at times that lead to tragic circumstances.

They were frowned upon by the upper class military hierarchy as it was just not gentlemanly to take part in clandestine raids miles behind enemy lines. It was not the English way to fight a war, and it 'just wasn't cricket '. Luckily however, Winston Churchill gave the go ahead for the formation of the groups, so that was it. 

Im only half way through, but it's a damn good read, and I definitely can't put it down. 

• Upvote 1

Well I've just finished the book, and what a real good one it was. Factual, exciting, frightening, sad, mind numbing, unbelievable and shocking at times. Undoubtedly, without the SAS harassing, delaying, and destroying virtually every single thing they encountered, then the war would have dragged on interminably. In fact we may just have lost it. 

It made me proud that they faced almost insurmountable odds, and invariably came out on top. Funny at times as they shot up aerodromes and fuel dumps and killed many of the enemy. Shocked as they kicked open a barracks door where German and Italian pilots were relaxing. They looked startled as the SAS leader said 'Good morning ' as he tossed in two grenades, whilst his partner mowed them down with a Tommy gun. Sad, as whilst in Italy, a raiding party came under shell fire and an innocent local boy was hit in the stomach and lost his innards. An SAS man shot the boy in the head to alleviate his suffering. 

Smiled ruefully, when in France, some retreating Germans were captured and they asked for food. However, one asked cockily for a comb. However, his hair was swiftly parted by a Colt 45. 

Not a a bad set of results for a company of misfits, degenerates, thugs, eccentrics and other assorted insubordinates.

They were without a shadow of a doubt, the bravest of the brave. I salute them .

• Upvote 1

Several really 'English ' eccentricities cropped up which I must mention. Whilst partaking in a raid in Libya, they shot out the planes, killed anyone in their way and looted everything useable. That included a grand piano. 

Another raid was planned and a new recruit was amazed to notice that the leader insisted on wearing his tie to battle even though he'd not had a wash or change of clothes for weeks. A prisoner was amazed to note that when the gang were not out on a 'jolly' they insisted on having tea  at exactly 4pm every day. 

Not all fun though in Libya. 1M square miles of desert and if members were lost, it was hard luck. Injured colleagues were left as there were no hospital facilities out there. It takes a special someone to leave an injured mate, but that's what they had to do I'm afraid. 

• 1 month later...

Just started reading "Somewhere over the Toll Bridge" by Martin Eden Clarke. It's about his life living in and around Nottingham and is turning out to be an interesting read so far. The front cover has a very nostalgic painting of the old Wilford Toll Bridge with the GCR railway bridge in view in the distance. If you like this sort of thing is well recommended.

• Upvote 1

Just perusing the latest Book Law catalogue, and some goodies are due for publication.

Nottingham Engine Sheds, Derby Engine Sheds, Lines into Nottingham Victoria, The Demise of Nottingham Victoria. Plus of course, the long awaited Nottm Suburban Rly Vol 3. Bring them on .

One currently out is Five Routes to Trent. That looks good for Christmas. 

• Upvote 1

Just finished reading "Victory Fighters: The Veterans' Story.  Winning the Battle for supremacy in the skies over Western Europe, 1941-45."  By Stephen Darlow.  An interesting book about the tactics and operations of fighter command during WWII.  It is full of first hand accounts and extracts from operational records. Difficult to read at times due to all the facts and figures but enlightening, nonetheless.

• Upvote 1