What are you reading at the moment?

I read "Band of Brothers a few weeks back, and Dick Winters "After Band of Brothers" what a very humble man he was!!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Difficult to say in this case whether the story is true or not, but there is quite a lot of (circumstantial?) evidence in favour of the story. Basically, on return from its fourth Atlantic crossing Olympic was struck broadside by a Royal Navy armed cruiser, with an underwater battering ram. and suffered severe damage. Whilst back in the yard at Belfast for repairs, which were going to take a long time, it was decided to complete the nearly finished Titanic to the Olympic's specification and rename it Olympic.

Like Chula I don't read fiction 

I think I don't have a fiction book in my collection

What am I reading at the moment?

Nothing in particular as I am a bit of a dipper & am looking at more than one (mostly on Nottingham)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNaSht4FKWWrxC7kl4WRm1HeTAJRIV1IW1zOmPT

Always a bargain to be had in Bulwell, a great find Mick,I also have "Fred Dibnah,a much loved steeplejack" complete with CD,

I wonder what happened to all the stuff he had in his house and garden

Rog

Just finished "The Secret History of the Blitz by Joshua Levine. A well researched history of the Blitz during 1940-41.  Some very interesting stories of heroics, skulduggery and change.  I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the reality of the bombing of British cities during WWII.

"Bradshaw's descriptive railway handbook of great Britain and Ireland", I like to find out about the places I've visited on the train or where some of the local ines go to and come from,don't read it cover to cover but more or a reference book

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Just having time to peruse three railway books of local areas I received for my birthday a week or so ago.

Nottinghamshire Engine Sheds, which encompasses Colwick, Annesley, Kirkby in Ashfield, Retford, Toton, Mansfield and of course Nottingham. Mostly new pictures, plus extremely informative and interesting captions.

Railways in and around Nottingham by Bill Taylor. The updated and enlarged edition, with very few previously unseen pictures, and a bit of a rip off at nearly £18, as I've already got the original publication. Still a good read though.

The Great Northern Railway, The Leen Valley Extension (Kirkby in Ashfield- Shirebrook) A fantastic book with mostly unseen pics, plenty of historical information and maps. I found this very interesting, as I spent my first three years of my life in Sutton, and visited relatives virtually every week until I was in my mid teens. A very good book, but I noticed at least two glaring spelling errors in the introduction.

However, an absolutely absorbing book. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, FLY2 said:

A very good book, but I noticed at least two glaring spelling errors in the introduction.

However, an absolutely absorbing book. 

Quick call the spelling police. What was the grammar like ?

• Like 2

Me and the missus are avid Michael Connelly readers and have all of his novels. Finding myself with nothing to read the other day, I picked up one of his Harry Bosch novels - and finished up reading 2 “on the bounce”.

Not often you can read a crime novel twice and still enjoy it, but with Connelly ...

Nice to read an American police-procedural with a flawed, lonely hero who’s not a black-belt in martial arts, an ex special forces man or some sort of superman.

Well worth a try. (His Mickey Haller courtroom dramas out-Grisham Grisham as well!)

Spent a day on the Strathspey Steam Railway on Saturday. On the way out I noticed a table full of railway magazines with a sign saying FREE railway magazines - donations to 5025 restoration welcome.  I donated and took some mags; so I am now reading railway magazines for the forreseeable future :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Not a great reader but bought a couple of books and dvd of a film that was on tv a while ago. I only saw the last bit of it but the last few minutes intrigued  me as I heard "Barrow"

I was born in Barrow in Furness and saw a lot of bomb damage ( although I was 5 when we left I spent my school holidays with grand parents and the bomb damage was still there)

Back to the books, they are called Nella Lasts War and Nella Last's peace. It basically her diaries written every day during and after the war.

She began her diary for the Mass Observation started in 1937 by Charles Madge to record the voice of the people to send them an account of their lives. Nella was one of 500 people who chose to be part of this remarkable national writing project.

Boring maybe to some but I find it very intersting and recognise the places she mentions and I also imagine the dialect which I love. Certain dates too like my brothers birth date, my birth date , mum and dads wedding date. It was intersting to know how the days went.  Both my parents worked at the ship yard and Ive heard many a tale of what life was like there only to be recounted in a similar way.

Also some expressions bring back memories for me and I can imagine house wives once again sitting on their front door steps and going on the bus to Walney Island. The blower sounding for the end of shifts at the steel works as my grandparents lived nearby, the hundreds of bikes coming and going to and from work at the end of theire shifts. The high level bridge going up and down was a site to see in my childhood. So I suppose a lot of hidden memories are coming back to light in these books.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, IAN123. said:

I saw Lord Sutch in the 1970's..his  good days were gone.

As was his pirate radio station "Radio Sutch".

• Like 1

Just finished "Blackpool Highflyer" by Andrew Martin. A railway fiction book based on the L&Y railway in 1905; an intereesting read for railway fans.  Now reading "Tigerlilly's Orchids" by Ruth Rendell.

One of my avourite books of all time is "Journal of a Voyage Round the world" Charles Darwin. I have an 1890 edition that was awarded to A.Hilton, Form V, Bolton High School, December 1892; as a prize for mathematics.  An intesting Journal of the voyage beginning in December 1831 and the basis for his later theory of relativity.

• Like 1