What are you reading at the moment?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

We’re all related to monkeys. ;)

Some more closely related than others!   

However the world came to be in its present form, however GOD created it, I believe that it only happened through Him...  I believe God was there before it began and will still be there when it ends...

• Like 1
On 7/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, Compo said:

his later theory of relativity.

Relatively speaking I made a bit of a cock-up of that statement! I think maybe evolution has left me behind.

:crazy:

• Like 2

Ian, I think there's a big difference between being physically related and spiritually related... but an interesting post  nevertheless.  

• Like 1

Seeing as my posts haven't yet been reported/removed, I'll carry on for a bit...

I reckon it's OK to muddle up God and Jesus, but seeing as the Biblical Jesus had no offspring (despite our being able to read various theories on the internet and also the  Dan Brown books -  the D V C in particular) I feel my point is still valid.

Hope you are feeling better now btw.  Keep the faith.  One of my favourite sayings is...

"If God seems far away, who's moved"

• Like 1

I'm not RC, Ian, so have no experience of saints, sorry.   As a non conformist,  I believe that Jesus is the only intermediary necessary to be able to pray to God, the Father.

Will this post (and my other recent ones) stay up, I wonder?  

If anyone feels uncomfortable / annoyed  etc., please ask for them to be removed....I'm really not going to have a hissy fit if you do.   I understand that some people think that faith shouldn't be discussed on the forum.  

I might have a go at politics next.  Lol   (or perhaps not )

...or you could just carry on as normal and write about what you're reading at the moment?   I'm reading the Cambridge Evening News but there's not a lot of news in it.....

• Like 3

I'm sure your Posts will not get pulled Margie.......its only when some start arguing,,and no body is,,i think our Christian beliefs are what as made this country what it is......Always been a believer though not a Church goer,,...loved RK at school RI as its known now.....we followed the life of Jesus in school lessons from the Manger to the Cross and could'nt wait for the next instalment ,,at home Mam always used Biblical sayings,scared me to death sometimes always told me 'he is watching everything you do,be good''.........Mam ruled the roust at home and Dad, by no means a shrinking violet among his work-mates, just smiled and enjoyed the ''status Quo''

If i have been half the man my Dad was i'm content,,................the country is now multi-faithed and having studied to some extent other cultures,i say as long as we all accept others ways and them ours,there should'nt be problems,,..........just my thoughts,,

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

RR I've just googled the book you're reading - it looks an interesting point of view... 

33 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

the country is now multi-faithed and having studied to some extent other cultures,i say as long as we all accept others ways and them ours,there should'nt be problems,,..........just my thoughts,,

As the Dalai Lama says, it's not what you believe, it's what you are inside that really matters. For him, intention is everything. For instance, there are many who do charitable work but what is the intention behind it? For some, it's self-aggrandisement or born of a need to feed their own ego. In such cases, it could be argued that it doesn't count because it takes back something for what is given. I have a great respect for the eastern religions.

• Like 4

Jill.  I agree with what you say about the importance of what a person is like 'inside', however I also believe that what one TRULY believes will always shape one's words and actions - for better or worse.

• Like 2

Margie you will probably remember from previous posts I'm atheist but I have absolutely no objection to your posts. As I see it your beliefs are your own as are mine and can see no reason for anyone to fall out about it.

• Like 3

I too am an atheist, but I live by the creed of "Do unto others as you would wish done to yourself". If we all followed that the world would be a far better place.

Any road up, as the title of this topic is "What are you reading," currently it is Classic Bus, issue 156, which has a very good article about Nottingham's trolleybuses.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I watched a very interesting program the other day trying to separate 'Jesus historical fact' and 'Jesus the son of god'. It turns out most if not all religious sites in Jerusalem have some doubts about them and there is no historical evidence for the life of Jesus.

But as the man said at the end of the program if you are a nonbeliever you don't care and if you have faith then it really does not matter. It is the idea and the intent that matter.

I am not religious but the 10 commandments work for me......who ever thought them up

• Upvote 2

Saw some of that NBL. Very informative whichever view you take. 

NBL I didn't see the programme  but I do know that there are several ancient sources outside the New Testament that refer to the person of Jesus , his life and his death.  Among these are Tacitus, a noted Roman historian and Josephus, a well-documented Jewish writer of the time.  I presume they weren't mentioned in the TV programme?  But as you infer,  in cases like this, people won't be convinced (or unconvinced) by facts.

Your mention of the Ten Commandments actually made me smile ... I presume you are only referring to commandments 5 - 10 which are about a person's relationship towards other people?   (The first 4 are about one's relationship to God! ).   

I actually prefer the list of traits (called the fruit of the Spirit) that should be apparent in a Christian's life.. it is written in Galatians chapter 5 verses 22 & 23.  They are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.   The last one is still a bit of a 'work in progress' with me, I'm afraid!  

Margie x

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I actually prefer the list of traits (called the fruit of the Spirit) that should be apparent in a Christian's life.. it is written in Galatians chapter 5 verses 22 & 23.  They are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.   The last one is still a bit of a 'work in progress' with me, I'm afraid.

I'd say they are all works in progress, otherwise we wouldn't be here in the first place! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I'm with you there, Jill.  It's just that the last one is the one I have most trouble with!  Sometimes when I'm having a conversation with someone and I think of something I want to say, but perhaps shouldn't, I decide not to say it .... and then I find I'm saying it anyway!  

• Like 3

Tacitus was mentioned as were several other good sources but they had trouble relating their writings historically to the man himself.

It was a good program, evenly balanced I thought with the views of both sides of the debate given equal status and air time, but of course it all happened so long ago it is bound to be muddled, if it were not then we would all be either Christians or atheists.

It seems one of the problems is that there were many people who arrived in Jerusalem claiming to be 'The King of the Jews', 'The Messiah' etc most of whom were crucified, after all it was the accepted method of execution and they would have all been looked on as trouble makers by the Romans.

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've put my trust in him.  My faith is not just concerned with the life of the historical Jesus (although that is obviously important, so we can learn  more about what God is like)  it is the knowledge that he is still alive and promised that he would always be with us .... in the here and now and also after our earthly death.  

I didn't become a Christian until I was in my thirties - fought against it for a long time ...  but I am SO pleased I did!   Believe me,  I knew every argument in the book for NOT believing, but when It became clear to me that It was time to make a choice,  it somehow all fell into place and I've never looked back...

Hope you're all enjoying your Sunday.... we had a Believers' Baptism at church this morning, so that was a really happy time... (except the baptistry lost some water overnight and had to be topped up early this morning, - it needs tiling really)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  You know how a schoolmaster is.  Always setting higher standards that we find it difficult or impossible to meet.  I always smile a bit when somebody tells me they keep the Ten Commandments and thus expect Heaven.  I can't even keep the first one.  ;)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1