What are you reading at the moment?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Cranky. It's a brilliantly candid no holds barred book. He said just before he died that he lived his life his way, and he's no regrets. He'd do it all again. Try and listen to Southern Blood, his last CD prior to his death. He knows that the inevitable isn't far away, and the songs reflect this. The man who took every single thing in his life to the very extreme and more. 

A brilliant voice, a great talent, and a sad loss. My ex and my youngest daughter reckon he was the ultimate Rock God. My hero !

I'm just re reading Heavy Load. The story of Free. Another brilliant read of greatness, sadness, missed opportunities and hell raising.

Another truly talented young group who wrote such emotional and raw, true to life songs way beyond their years.

Ive just bought Songs of Yesterday. A multi CD boxed set of magical songs, that are still fresh and relevant over 45 years since their release.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just finished Zig-Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths. A whodunnit set just afterWWII. The novel is built around a wartime group of "Magic men" who were  a team of military deceptionists working from Inverness.  After the war the members are being killed in ways relating to their deception tricks - so who is doing the killing and why? 

Enjoyed the book which took me less than 48hours to read. Now it's back to my Anthology of Railways - a book full of factual snippets of information and anecdotes from almost 200yrs of railways in Britain.

Picked up a couple of paperbacks in WHS at LHR before flying home last week. Buy one get one 50% off dealybob. One, I've started to read, not far into it yet and lots of laugh out loud moments already. Book is by Adam Kay and titled This Is Going To Hurt. 

'Tank Action' by David Render, Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry.

I knew David as an old comrade before his death last year and this is the story of his time with the regiment in Normandy and beyond.

The regiment arrived at 'H' hour on D day and David joined them as a casualty battle replacement some 5 days later, he then fought from Bayeaux all the way through to Bremerhaven and the end of the war.

Seeing how a tank commanders life expectancy was slightly less than two weeks and 90% of his comrades were to become casualties this was no mean feat and earned him the nickname the 'Inevitable Mr Render' as he always turned up. The regiment earned more 'battle honours' than any other unit in WW11 so it's not like they were not in the thick of things.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I've just started reading 'Mythos' a retelling of the Greek myths by Stephen Fry. As I read it I can hear him telling the stories.

I believe he does a number of audio books but I've never had one.

When I moved here I joined a monthly book club. The present book we are reading is Home Front by Kristin Hannah about an American woman who is a reserve helicopter pilot in the army. She has just been called up to go to Iraq. Although this is not my usual sort of book (I am more a Stephen King kind of book reader) I am getting quite immersed in it and find myself rooting for her and her co-pilot to survive. It is quite unusual reversing the normal male/female roles, her husband is left looking after children etc (not coping very well which might be a bit of stereotyping) and she is coping with being shelled in her camp  and shot at whilst flying her helicopter. Nice to read a book with a strong woman as the main character.

• Like 2

Fly2 glad you enjoy Heavy Load, I also have a copy with a message from one of the authors that I know well. I know how much blood, sweat, tears and love went into it.

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year old condemned army hut, used as the village hall. They did have a phone box but that was taken away 10 years ago. This almost isolated village with 230 inhabitants, the same as 200 years ago was a forgotten place. With no pub, shop or PO for people to meet, most villagers only knew their nearby neighbours. Following an 8 year project they now have a vibrant community and a brand new village hall. A picture of my cider press is in the book. They use my equipment for their Cider making co-operative. The book, BUILDING A COMMUNITY, how one village achieved it's dream, could be used as a guide for other isolated villages. The author Barry Dore is a leadership guru.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

The book, BUILDING A COMMUNITY. The author Barry Dore is a leadership guru. Forgot to add that Barry is a Nottingham lad and educated at Trent Uni. The book is a paperback of 126 pages. The story takes up about two thirds and the other third (in boxed sections) is about leadership. If where you live has little or no community spirit and you are interested in leadership then this book is a great guide. Worth a tenner from www.barrydore.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. It is somewhat over-long at 645 pages but holds the interest throughout.  The story takes place over a century in the life of a family, separated by a series of events. Not a bad read but I would have preferred it condensed into perhaps 400 pages.

My new book is "The Dark Angel" by Elly Griffiths. I'm currently just under half way through and still interested in the plot :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just finished reading 'Lines Into Nottingham Victoria', by Bill Taylor. Superb photos and enlightening captions. Most of the pics are from Don Beecroft's collection and a few others too. Only a couple of them had I seen in print previously.

At the other end of the literary spectrum, I'm just about to start on another Christmas present 'Remembering the Freebirds of Southern Rock'. The story of Lynyrd Skynyrd and their rise to fame, tragedies, break ups, reforming, substance abuse, more deaths, and the destructive forces that tore them apart. Then their relentless drive to carry on to worldwide fame. 

Should be some read ! 

• 3 weeks later...