What are you reading at the moment?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

• 4 months later...

Just finished reading 'Stephen Fry in America'. It's the book of the tv series that was shown on the BBC a few years ago. As the title says, he's in the US, and he describes his visits to every one of the 50 States. As I love travel books, I relished reading it. 

I doubt I've read a funnier, more fascinating and interesting book in years. Humorous where unexpected, and critical in places, as one would expect. However, it wasn't the normal America bashing volume, as many are.

I must add that I bought the book for £1 from a stall in a Mway Service Station, that was raising funds for the Help For Heroes charity.

Just remember that these guys and gals put they're lives on the line every single second, so that we can sleep safely at night.

• Like 1

Funny this thread cropt up today,,been having a read myself,,forgot many of the books i have,,but with moving unearthed a few,

The one I've been reading today is ""last of the summer wine ""the finest vintage,written in 2000,so the prog was still running,,bought it in a second hand bookshop near Oakham some years ago,,a great read with biographies on all the actors,,and its signed by Peter Sallis,,

• Upvote 1

Best comedy programme ever !

I agree Fly,, think it went on being made until 2010,,and i reckon it got better over the years,,

My daughter used to play Trumpet in the Bestwood diamonds band,,and when my big hard Dad lived with us,,she reduced him to tears with her rendition of it,, just for him,,  

• Upvote 1

My favourite  characters... Foggy, Sid, Howard, Pearl, Glenda, Marina, Wesley, the coppers, Alvin..... Bugger.....all of them !

• Like 1

When I'm out and about again,,will meet you for coffee,, and you can have the book mate,, 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Ben.

You'd know Brian Draper then Ben?/

Just tx my daughter john,,yes i do know him,, he conducted the band at her wedding,,

He was an apprentice elec same time as me at Clifton Colliery, back then he used to attend band practice with the Bestwood Colliery Band as a euphonium player. I caught up with him on the internet several years back, no idea if he's still around. He ended up as music director for the band, which had changed it's name to the Bestwood Black Diamonds.

For some reason, I rarely tackle a novel or similarly long read these days.  I just don't seem to be able to justify the time, or maintain my concentration.  I tend to dip into reference books instead.  Gardening, Fungi, Insects, Birds, etc.

However whilst at 'Barter Books ' in Alnwick last year..   https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/

..I picked up  a copy of H.G. Wells. The Complete Short Stories.  This is keepoing me happy and just about matching my concentration span.  I'm working my way through it methodically from start to end and am so far resisting the urge to 'fast forward' ( no pun intended) to 'The New Accellerator', which I only read once as a youngster and have never seen since.  I found it hilarious as well as a great idea... which partly came true for anybody who dabbled in certain naughtiness involving little blue pills  during the 60s..  :wacko:

One of my neighbours has just finished reading the Bible from cover to cover. Not for religious reasons but as a challenge. I've often thought about it myself but as I live a pretty honest and blameless life I don't think there's much it could teach me! :biggrin:

Pfffftt.. Easeh!, Easeh!, Easeh!..

If they want a real challenge.. get them to read Herman Melville's 'Moby Dick' in it's original, turgid entirety.  Failing that.. Marcus Clarke's '   'The Term of His Natural Life', seems longer and more tedious than the 'Transportation for Life' which it describes.

It's in my book.  It may be some time before I get to it...    :)

A short story I read as a teenager was in an anthology I've long forgotten the title of. The story is simply called 'The Cricket Match' and tells the story of a village team playing their local rivals. It was without any doubt the funniest thing I've ever read, real laugh out loud stuff and I'd love to find it again and see if it's still as funny to me now.

Brew, is it the book 'The Cricket Match' by Hugh De Selincourt?  I've just googled it and there are several for sale online.

One of the funniest books I ever read, was '1066 And All That' Absolutely hilarious.

The funniest series of books that I have ever read are the "war memoires" of Spike Milligan. The series began with "Adolf Hitler My Part in His Downfall"

Absolutely hilarious. The "Leader of the Opposition" banned me from reading them in bed.

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Brew, is it the book 'The Cricket Match' by Hugh De Selincourt?  I've just googled it and there are several for sale online.

Unfortunately not Margie, the author was given as anon so apart from the title I've nothing else to go on.

• 2 weeks later...

Currenlty re-readingn Boy Soldiers of the GReat War by Richard Van Emden. Great read, full of facts.