What are you reading at the moment?

On 11/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, LizzieM said:

Bet our Albert would enjoy that book Compo.

He's probably aready got a copy, Lizzie.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Picked up a book from our book exchange, the title caught my eye.  I am almost finished with it and just ordered the 2nd in the series. Present book is the first of 8. It is Danish and has been translated into English but some of the place names take a bit of pronouncing. Author is Jussi Adler-Olsen and the title is The Keeper of Lost Causes. It's a good 'un.

This month's tillergraph

Excellent book Me;issa if i rember there are 2 more books following. well worth a read.

Just read      "A Child called IT."     by Dave Petzer    good book but if you don't like books of children being treated cruelly then don't read this one.

I saw them live at a NME concert in London, great voice and soooooo handsome. He sang so effortlessly, love that song one of my favourites.

I saw them at the Sherwood Rooms when they’d only just come on the scene.  We went there to see The Righteous Brothers and were so disappointed when we got there to be told they weren’t turning up.  But, wow, were we excited to see this new threesome The Walker Brothers!   We even tried to get their autographs, unsuccessfully.  Scott Walker had a fabulous voice, I was so in love with him hearteyes

• Like 1

Currently making my way through Schopenhauer's Essays and Aphorisms. He's often regarded as one of the most pessimistic philosophers which is certainly true - he basically says we'd be better off not existing - but I think there's almost something comforting in his pessimism; by rejecting the notion of the 'meaning of life', or just the concept that life is meant to be better than it is, we can commit ourselves to living in the present (although he basically dismisses this as pointless too. Can't win with this man.) 

8 hours ago, エロゲいじゅつ said:

Currently making my way through Schopenhauer's Essays and Aphorisms. He's often regarded as one of the most pessimistic philosophers which is certainly true - he basically says we'd be better off not existing - but I think there's almost something comforting in his pessimism; by rejecting the notion of the 'meaning of life', or just the concept that life is meant to be better than it is, we can commit ourselves to living in the present (although he basically dismisses this as pointless too. Can't win with this man.) 

Perhaps he’d been reading Ecclesiastes?

I have the complete works of Dickens, of some antiquity, on the top shelf of my bookcase (out of reach!) His basic stories are quite good but it’s a slog to wade through his long description passages to extract the essence. They do look impressive though!

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Dickens and have read almost everything of his, several times each.

I've never found him daunting or difficult; his main weakness is that he can sometimes be overly sentimental and mawkish.

• Like 2

I've just had a look at my ancient copies of Dickens which I bought from an antique dealer in Horncastle many years ago. The script is so minute it makes for difficult reading. I only read non fiction and very little of that is from books as I can get all the information I want online.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Bit of a loose end this morning still got this cold/plague/manflu so any outside work is out of the question so a flick through some old books produced these, might be of interest to the Vintage motor car enthusiasts ,engineers, tool shed fans

Look away now Ben

DSCF1972_(2).jpg

DSCF1973_(2).jpg

DSCF1968_(2).jpg

Rog

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

DSCF1968_(2).jpg

I have a toolbox which belonged to my late father and it contains a large number of odds and sods items which he bought over the years, including most of the items on this page, and I still occasionally use them.

I don't know when he bought them but they are probably all older than me, and in good condition like me.

• Like 3

Great stuff CT, keeps the memories alive, the catalogue I took the pictures from is dated 1913 so perhaps some of the tools could have been your grandfathers

Rog

• 4 weeks later...

Just started this little gem that a friend has loaned me, it was published in 1909 and I should imagine most of the ingredients needed to make some of these things are either banned or removed on H&S grounds, certainly non of the subjects would be allowed these days

DSCF1976_(2).jpg

DSCF1977_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 1