What are you reading at the moment?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

@MRS B in the 70s we read them Tolkien books at school , I was always fascinated by those maps that were illustrated at the last few pages of the book , and look now Lord of the rings a box office smash ,  who would of thought that back in the 70s  ?

• Like 1
On 2/15/2023 at 8:21 PM, benjamin1945 said:

We did a bit of ''Shakespeare at school and ive no strong feelings about his work either way..........However whenever the subject comes up i always think about our drama teacher Mr Price......he was a fanatic on him...and used to love standing and reading it to us.......and one day in the school Hall he was reading it from the stage with all the actions.......well he lost his footing on the edge of the stage...fell onto the school 'Piano'' broke wind and rolled off onto the floor'''''''''''':) so so funny...........

Hahaha so funny Ben , Gone with the wind..  frankly Ben I don't give a damn  !!!!!

• Like 1

Those maps were fascinating David and helped you to “be” in the story

• Like 2
2 hours ago, David sheridan said:

@MRS B in the 70s we read them Tolkien books at school , I was always fascinated by those maps that were illustrated at the last few pages of the book , and look now Lord of the rings a box office smash ,  who would of thought that back in the 70s  ?

Ooh David a “them” and “those” example.

• Like 1

Remember reading about in English class at school in the 70s,  called The Silver Sword ,  it was about a polish family being split up during the Germans raid on Poland,  then they got reunited ,  anyone familiar with the book  ?

1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

I didn't read the Silver Sword book but it was adapted for a BBC series in the late 50's, which I do remember watching.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0392999/fullcredits

I loved that series. I watched it avidly from start to finish. The final episode where the Balicki family are reunited is real tear jerker. According to Genome the BBC archive of The Radio Times it was shown on Sundays at 5:40. Happy days.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not been doing much reading for a year or two.....but being a bit confined with the weather been digging into my books that i'd not fully read......and at the moment am really enjoying.....Ray Winstone's book ''Young Winstone''.........

Always enjoyed his films (sexy beast being a favourite) and he seems the sort of bloke who's company over a pint i'd enjoy...

In his book he talks a lot about being an East Londoner........he reflects on the area with fond memories of family and friends......daft as it sounds made me think of my roots and friends from Old Bestwood..Basford and Bulwell.......maybe a bit ''Rose tinted''....but whenever i'm in those places my mind goes back to happy days and great people,,,,now mostly not with us...which makes me not only very reminiscent but Sad.........so i mostly avoid going now..........Anyway back to me book....

• Like 1

Ben, have you seen him in the movie "Scum", where he was incarcerated in a Borstal. "Who's the Daddy now !!!"

Shire county guide 35 by Jeff and Margaret Hopewell "Nottinghamshire" covers all the villages and towns of this great county, the history, places to visit and facts about the places

Rog

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

l am currently re-reading a couple of my favourites:

Europe in the Looking Glass - Reflections of a Motor Drive frrom Grimsby to Athens.  In 1926 three young men drive across Europe in a large Sunbeam touring car and have various adventures. Cars then were of course much less reliable than today and they have many difficulties organising repairs (which are needed often). The author was Robert Byron who died aged 36 in 1941 when the ship on which he was travelling to Egypt was torpedoed by a German submarine.

The other book l am re-reaing is Modernity Britain Book 2: A Shake of the Dice 1959-1962 by David Kynaston. l have just finished Book 1:Opening the Box. l am interested in modern history i.e.during my lifetime but which l am too young (!) to remember. You get an impression that it was an exciting time n many ways when Britain was changing from wartime utility to a modern country. He is very readable,not at all like an old-fashioned histroy book.

• Like 1

@Newarker, you're dead right there sunshine 1959 - 1962 were brilliant years ! Started my teens in '56 and finished em in '62. They were rough times to be sure, but I don't regret one minute. That's why I love to read on here about people's reminitions (sp).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Newarker said:

The other book l am re-reading is Modernity Britain Book 2: A Shake of the Dice 1959-1962 by David Kynaston. l have just finished Book 1:Opening the Box. l am interested in modern history i.e.during my lifetime but which l am too young (!) to remember. 

I've read a couple of books by David Kynaston, and it's slightly scary to realise that you can now read history books which cover the days when you were growing up.

Im still trudging through me Charles Dickens collection ,keep falling asleep with Edwin Drood

I'm just about to start rereading Martin Chuzzlewit. It's been some years since I read it. There are a number of cats who come into my garden and with whom I'm very friendly. None wears a collar but I've given them all names from that novel as it seems to suit them: Spottletoe is black with tiny white dots on his two front paws; Jinkins is a tabby who likes fish and Montague Tigg (otherwise known as Tigg Montague) is a tabby and white scrounger.  There's a silver mackerel tabby who appears only occasionally and seems to think himself more aristocratic than the rest. I'm thinking of calling him Pecksniff!

• Like 1