What are you reading at the moment?

As the title says, presently I am reading for the 3rd time (love books so had most shipped out) is called The Long Walk. It is about a polish officer who in 1939 (war) was sent to the russian 'gulags'(war /death camps) and his escape.

I believe after the war he resided near nottingham? I also read that it was fabricated? How true I don't know but love it just the same.

Anyone read it? Views?

Any opinion/reccomendations on any other books

(not keen on reading fiction)

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Read it thirty years ago...I remember his account of killing and eating snakes in the Gobi desert to survive...and his sighting of a Yeti as he crossed the Himalayas...True or not it was a good read.Can't remember whether he found safety in India or China.

Thanks for that it made me clean out my bedside cabinet books i have read in the last 2 months

Original Rude Boy: From Borstal to the "Specials"- A Life in Crime and Music by Neville Staple

Fighting to the Death: My Life in the World's Deadliest Fight Game by Carl Merritt

Ska'd for Life: A Personal Journey with the "Specials" by Horace Panter

Dark Heart: The Shocking Truth About Hidden Britain by Nick Davies

Wild Thing: The True Story of Britain's Rightful Guv'nor by Lew Yates

These Colours Don't Run: Inside the Hibs Capital City Service by Derek Dykes and Andy Colvin

The Men in Black: Inside Manchester United's Football Hooligan Firm by Tony O'Neill

Moody: The Life and Crimes of Britain's Most Notorious Hitman by Wensley Clarkson

Bovver by Chris Brown

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen, the Name's Bill Gardner by Bill Gardner

Meeting the Guv'nor: From Goodfella to Godfella - The Dramatic True Story of Boxing's Pirate Promoter Alan Mortlock by Alan Mortlock with Greg Watts

And today i have started

Cut-throat: The Vicious World of Rod McLean - Mercenary, Gunrunner and International Drug Baron by Wayne Thallon

Hi Mariag,

Yes I've read this book, met the man himself a few years ago when he gave me a copy, he (Slav) signed it for me and wrote "to value the freedom we have," very nice bloke, very quiet, he lived in Stapleford Nottingham but unfortunately died about five years ago, after his "Long Walk" he eventually joined the British army in India, I also think some big film company bought the rites to the book with a view to making a film

Rog

You read some nice books Nick !!!!!

Have you read "The Guvnor" by Lenny Maclean ?? I read it a couple of years ago.

I am currently reading The pub landlords book of British Common Sense, by Al Murray, very funny in places , and a bit of a plod in others. 8/10

• Upvote 1

Słavomir Rawicz! Yes, he lived in Stapleford - my Dad worked with him for a short while. In the "it's a small world" department, I bought a car from his son in the early '70's - he ran a small garage on Pasture Road, Stapleford.

I found a copy of the book a few years back at a used bookshop here in Michigan! A great read - you can tell it was written in simple English - but right from the heart! Remarkable!

You can read about him HERE.

Me - I just finished re-reading "The Sigma Protocol" by Robert Ludlum. Next I intend to dig-out and re-read "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" by LeCarre - possibly my favorite book - I have already read it three times!

If you ever come across it 'Manchild in the promised land' Claude Browne...A book I read as a kid about the life of a black guy in 1950s New York.

A story of how drug use gradually took over the town and the rise of drug gangs who started using knives and eventually guns. This was New York sixty years ago...Sounds familiar don't it???

currently reading "Bomb Alley" by David Yates, a rating aboard HMS Antrim during the Falklands war

Rog

To tell you the truth I don’t at the moment have any inclination to read.

The last books I did read were the Harry Potter books, read the first four then lost interest. I think and don’t quote me on this I read the Tolken books before that, Lord of the Rings trilogy but that was yonks ago.

As I have said before I don’t read the red tops because I have no interest in knowing about who is splitting with whom and who is sleeping with whom nor do I want to know, I find the articles in those have to taken with a pinch of salt, so what’s the point, if I want to read fiction I would go to the library.

The only reading I will do now is of the Nottingham Evening post and that’s only the letters page, I don’t buy it, I will read a copy if I come across one somewhere, in a pub or at the club.

Bip.

Not even Stephen King?

Actually yes, Frank.... I do have very few fiction books but one book I have that is very large and read twice to date is stephen kings The Stand, absolutely love this book, I think that although it is clearly fiction I could imagine it happening. The other King books that i have read is IT and Misery - both really good.

Radford red..... quite a lot of my books make for a 'depressing read' as told me by OH... praps you might like these

Journey to hell - Donald macneil (inside the worlds most violent prison)

Welcome to hell - Colin Martin (bangkok Hilton)

Both good

The Stand..... great book.

Another one of SK's I couldn't put down was TOMMYKNOCKERS

Has anyone managed to read Satanic Verses from cover to cover? I tried but gave up during the first chapter....what a load of twaddle that book is.

Too heavy for me that sort of stuff...but at least it's made a good living and loads of young crumpet for the pillock that wrote it.As long as he doesn't move to Teheran.

If you're an ugly git...you can't go wrong if you've got a healthy bank account.

Have you read "The Guvnor" by Lenny Maclean ?? I read it a couple of years ago.

Yeah read it back to back with Pretty Boy by Roy Shaw , King of the Gypsies by Bartley Gorman is a cracking read , I'm sure the Shane Meadows was making it into a film ?

• 1 month later...

just read 'private peaceful', being an ardent reader of anything re' the great war it is the best fiction I've read, set in that period

• 3 months later...

I'm reading a Jackie Collins "trash novel" but I'm also wading through a nerdy "Learn PHP the easy way" (yeah like there is an easy way to learn how to program :( )