What are you reading at the moment?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Just trying to introduce a little levity to the occasion Mr.Trogg.

Actually, I'm reading 'Sisters of Auschwitz', by Roxanne van Iperen.

• Like 1

Just finished SAS Band of Brothers by Damien Lewis (the author, not the actor). One of a number of books he’s written about the SAS, including SAS Rogue Heroes which was recently turned into a TV series.

They’re all true histories of SAS actions during WW2, based on official records and the recollections of those involved.

What makes it most interesting to me is that one of the men featured in BoB was Cpl Ginger Jones, from Wigan. A real hard case, liked a drink, useful with his fists, and expert with a Bren gun. He was captured by the Gestapo, imprisoned, tortured, and then managed to escape just as he was about to be shot by firing squad, and linked up with the French Resistance to carry on fighting the nazis.

I used to be married to his great niece and actually met him a number of times back in the 1980s.

• 4 months later...

It's quite possible that you get into serious trouble if you were caught reading this in public today, however it is a good read especially if any of you were in the scouts or similar organisations some years ago

P1080949.jpg

Rog

I’m reading The constant Princess by Philippa Gregory. I have read all books up to this one and next I’m going to read The Kings Curse and 2 books about Anne Boleyn and her sister. Henry 8th reign. Never thought I would be interested in the royal history but Gregory put facts into real time .

She is a really good writer to the extent that you feel that you are living in the time. Love her books Nonna 

• Like 1

I started reading 3 sisters 3 queens a book that my cousin left after returning to Oz. I wasn’t interested in history and it took me a while to start reading it, but thought I had to in case she asked me about it. I couldn’t put it down. After that I thought of looking for more books along the same line and came up with a pack of 5 books starting with The Lady of the The rivers up to The White Princess. I finished reading all of them in a little more than a week. I thought that’s enough history for now but still thinking I have to get to Henry 8th because I’d already read  3 sisters etc.  I have recently bought 2 second hand books from Vinted at €1 each plus postage. So after The Boleyn Experience I shall have to look for the next 4 books in the hope  Vinted has them.At least to finish the Plantagenet and Tudor stories and who knows I may go onto the other novels about the women of the cousins war etc. Looks like my felting hobby has to go on hold for a while.

• 4 months later...

l have been re-reading Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon, an account of his journey by Triumph motorbike in 1973  over 63,000 miles through 54 countries, taking four years. The paperback was published in 1979 and l remember being fascinated by the romance of the idea. How could anybody put his life on hold and set off around the world carrrying only what he could carry on the bike?  lt turns out to be not quite as fascinating as l remembered as he spends a long time in some places, particularly California and lndia, describing his exploits in detail, whereas other bits of the trip get scant mention. Anyway if you like personal accounts of travel this is worth looking for.