What are you reading at the moment?

It's a fascinating period of history and not without its backstabbers. The way Dowding was treated was shameful, almost airbrushed out which must have incensed many of 'Stuffy's' boys...and merely boys so many of them were.

Mind you, it's no worse than the way Bomber Harris was treated.  I can only repeat what my grandfather said:"Never put on a uniform for your country. All you will get is a kick in the teeth!"

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just started reading a book that was written by a friend from the next village. It is about building a community. The small village has two busses per week and the only amenity was a 90 year ol

Re. The Ten Commandments.  Their primary purpose was to set a standard, NONE of us can meet.  See Paul's comments in Galations in which he refers to them as a "Schoolmaster" to bring us to Christ.  Yo

I'm pleased you found the programme interesting, NBL.   I usually enjoy watching things like that, but I somehow missed it....  the thing is, though, I believe Jesus didn't stay dead - that's why I've

Although I am not a fan of Bomber Harris I can understand that he was put under extreme pressure to get results.  This, in my view, was why he resorted to total saturation bombing with H.E. and Incendiaries.  What I really don't like about the man and also the reason I disagree with him having a statue dedicated to his war efforts is that he never seemed to have any feeling or regrets for the death and destruction he caused.

Harris has been blamed, unjustly, for the Dresden bombings at the end of the war. They weren't his idea and he initially resisted as the distance put bomber crews at risk. He was blamed for what so many found reprehensible by none other than Winston Churchill, whose idea it had been in the first place, at least according to what I've read. Shame on a man who shares my birthday for not taking the responsibility and for blaming someone else.

As to showing no remorse for the loss of life caused by the bombings, Guy Gibson commented that he was sorry for the deaths of so many farm animals in the aftermath of the Dams Raids, even though most of the people who died were not Germans but slave labour. Gibson loved animals and had no rapport with people, as crew members like bomb aimer 'Johnny' Johnson have commented.

There is a saying, "Cometh the hour, cometh the man!"  Those people who fill such positions during wartime are regarded as heroes whereas, in a peacetime role, they would possibly be regarded as having psychopathic tendencies.  That's war. It's senseless, it's pointless, it devastates people's lives and families....but it keeps on happening!

• Upvote 1

I believe that Guy Gibson had no time for his sergeant pilots, believing them to be inferior beings.  I read a book by one of his contemporaries, sadly I cannot remember who it was, who said that Gibson was a very hard leader who believed unwaveringly in the class system.  He wouldn't entertain the idea that sergeant aircrew should be treated in an equal manner to officer aircrew.  An all-round bast*rd seems to have been a good term for him.

I think Gibson was badly damaged as a child and it affected his ability to relate to people in general. He's typical of many who assume such roles in wartime. It's difficult to imagine what they might have done with their lives in peacetime.

On the subject of Dresden, my father had an acquaintance, a strange, detached sort of man whom my mother disliked intensely. She would not have him in the house although he was public school educated and seemingly quite harmless. She said he gave her the creeps.

This man had been an RAF bomber pilot and flown many missions. It is said that those who flew on the Dresden/Leipzig raids were all volunteers. This chap debunked that myth. He told my father that he refused to take any part in the operation and, despite a previous meritorious record, he was cashiered...dismissed with ignominy from the RAF.

I know no more about him but I admired his guts for standing up for his principles. I hope I should have done the same.

• Upvote 1

The father of a friend of mine flew Blenheims during the early years of WW2. He'd enrolled at RAF Cranwell at the College prior to the outbreak of war.

Blenheims were widely regarded as death traps, as anyone trying to bale out of one was likely to suffer the fate of being chopped to pieces.  My friend's father flew a fair few missions before being badly shot up, to the extent that his entire crew was killed. Somehow, he managed to bring the bomber back to its base although badly injured himself.

That was the end of his flying career and he was discharged on medical grounds. He never spoke about what happened but, after his death, his children discovered medals, including the DFC, and a letter which had been written to him personally by Bomber Harris, asking after his welfare and congratulating him on his skill.

These were locked in a briefcase which was sadly stolen when his widow's house was broken into some years later. The items were never recovered.

For many years now I've found it hard to maintain the concentration to read novels etc.  I'd now describe my reading as 'dipping'.  I have lots of books on topics which interest me, particularly photography, railways, fungi and other natural history stuff, music etc.  So very often, I'm moved to get up and consult a book about some little bit of info.  Mrs Col is an inveterate book buyer, we sometimes seem overrun.

I used to buy lots of Hi Fi Magazines and drool over stuff I'll never afford. I only buy the odd one now if there's something there I'm especially interested in.

I very rarely buy newspapers.  The popular rags are just full of lies, half truths and speculation.  They spread unfounded, simplistic bile and are just mouthpieces for some very dodgy characters on all sides. It seems to me many people just buy the rag which 'strokes' their own views.  That's not news IMHO.

I used to get the Times Education Supplement when I was working in the proper Careers Service.  It was useful for keeping up with developments in education and the debates surrounding them and tended to include most viewpoints.  Also had a (rare for the press/media) proper understanding of Careers Guidance etc., and Ted Wragg's commentary was always entertaining and informative. Was also a point of honour to try and complete the crossword, though it frequently defeated me.

Best magazine title I ever saw was one about angling.  It was called 'Total Carp'.   :laugh:

Col

Compo, at the end of the day, 'War is War'. 'Kill or be Killed'.Collateral damage and historical destruction is inevitable I'm afraid. 

I dread to think about the deaths and sorrow that would have occurred if the atom bombs hadn't been dropped on Japan. 

Its the way of the world I'm sorry to sy.

• Upvote 1

Col, we don't usually get a National newspaper (except when we're on holiday and want to do a crossword/sudoku) but we do like the Cambridge Evening News and the free Ely newspaper.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently re-reading "Rail Tales of the Unexpected." a hardback book of short pieces about railway related incidents over the years.  It is very easy reading and in nice, small bites too.

#142.  Margie, I don't have a problem with local papers.  They mostly tend to be fairly factual in their reporting.  More like a public service funded by advertising. 

But the Daily Mail has a long history of outright lies and the spreading of hatred, in which they pretty much surpassed even their own low standards last week.

The Sun is still largely boycotted in Liverpool and many other places after it printed lies about Liverpool fans' behaviour at Hillsboro which were only properly disproved 27 years later.

I am now reading that certain companies (Lego for instance) are refusing to advertise in papers which carry extreme and hate filled or divisive headlines. I hope this trend continues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425

Col

• Upvote 2

A lot of folk make comments about Daily Mail readers........i'd just like to point out that not all DM readers agree with the papers views,.....I buy it probably once a week like to hear/read all points of view,and interestingly it seems to change its politics with the 'Mail' on sunday.

• Upvote 2

I agree Benjamin, it's time this endless carping on about one specific paper CONTINUESLY, has become tedious in the extreme. 

No one is interested !

• Upvote 1

"Spies" by Michael Frayn. It's not actually about spies but vividly portrays the life and imagination of two boys in a quiet suburban cul-de-sac during WW2.

Nostalgic stuff, very well written.

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

A lot of folk make comments about Daily Mail readers........i'd just like to point out that not all DM readers agree with the papers views,.....I buy it probably once a week like to hear/read all points of view,and interestingly it seems to change its politics with the 'Mail' on sunday.

Benj, I know both from face to face discussion and from what you post, that you think for yourself.  I don't think I mentioned DM readers.( At least in this thread.)

Col

• Upvote 1

Col.....sorry if you thought it was aimed at you.......it wasn't.........suppose if I look back i'll find many that have said it,.......and it wasn't aimed at any of them in particular...........just my general opinion............of other peoples opinion of the 'Mail'........awhite Geezer.?.......lol.

• Upvote 1

Trampled Underfoot...... Led Zeppelin........ Oh !  Wrong topic, sorry folks !

Our address book..... I've been ORDERED to write my Christmas cards out already. FGS. 

My family, 6 cards, neighbours 3..... HER family / friends..... 87. Marvellous in it !

• Upvote 1

But you've got lots of friends on here, FLY!  And it's much cheaper just wishing your on-line friends a happy Christmas, rather than buying cards and stamps...

# 152.  Be thankful FLY.  I write the lot, never get any help with that chore from my husband, and I do find it a real chore.  I have sent Christmas cards to some people I've never even met, but he was friendly with them years ago.   

• Upvote 4

Deleted.  Can't load the link I wanted to load.

3 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Trampled Underfoot...... Led Zeppelin........ Oh !  Wrong topic, sorry folks !

.....From the double album, Physical Graffiti....The Whistle Test had a wonderful film to go with this song.  I have a vinyl copy of the original album - one of the few things I have managed to hang on to :)

• Upvote 1

My son ( Amazon) recently bought me two books..one is my all time fave-  John Steinbeck's Journal of a Novel...amazing description of his pencils..never mind how he writes!

His mobile home is cleverly named Rociante after a certain famous geezers horse( Google the curious among you).

This very book made me travel to Salinas and enjoy the valley and sleeping out cuddling young pint bottles of Californian wine...oh! my youth.