A Walk Down Memory Lane.

Hi there friends,

I was surfing the net yesterday, always tried to get things about Glaisdale school, but never been able to till now.

But yesterday I hit the jackpot...there she was, in all her past glory, Glaisdale school, the one that I had gone to in my youth from years 1957-1961.

I was born and raised in Nottingham, and had lived on the Bilborough estate most of my young years, going to Saint Martins church, and living on Melford and Melbury road until I came with my two brothers and my mum and dad to Toronto, Canada.

I was tickled pink to see the old school and all the Nottingham stuff so I joined straight away.

So hello to all, and what's up over there?

I was not shocked to see the old school in disrepair, as let's face it...we all get older don't we?

However it was alarming to see the caretakers house had been sadly neglected, although I am sure they will bring both back to their former glory, I really hope so anyway.

As I said before, I went to Glaisdale school, so I was just thinking that maybe someone would know of a way to get pictures from that time period (class pictures and things) although they could have been thrown out, or hopefully tucked away in some 'Archive' somewhere?

It also would be wonderful to find old friends that wereat school at the same time as myself.

Has anyone got any ideas that could help me, I would be very happy to hear from anyone.

Now sixty three years old, with five children of my own, and five grandchildren over here in Canada, my mind wanders daily to my youth, my beautiful England, and all that I still miss.

Yes absense does make the heart grow fonder. :-)

please write back...Georgygirl (no not after the Beatles, but the movie Georgygirl)

Hey there Georgy Girl !! swinging down the street so fancy free.

Welcome to the site , give us some idea as to where you are in Canada, as It's a big place !!...LOL I didn't go to Glaisedale but there are plenty on here who did , I'm sure you'll soon be swopping some youthfull reminisances with them

O'k Beefsteak, I hear ya...

I am in Toronto, Canada.

I live in a city called Mississauga, which when I got here with my family at the age of nineteen was mostly dirt roads, but is now a busy and fast place, things sure changed.

It would be great iff I could contact some other folks that went to Glaisdale in my time frame as you say, it was a great time to be a kid back then.

Will be checking other stuff on the forum later today as there are many memories I want to explore.

Where are you from, are you in Nottingham yourself?

take care Beefsteak, nice gabbing with you,

Georgygirl.

I'm in Winsford in Mid Cheshire , though hopefully I'll be moving to Cornwall soon (If we find a house in our price bracket and then sell ours!!)

I have a very good friend who lives in Cochrane (Near Calgary ) who I keep promising I'll go to see one day !! but you know how thngs go. One day!!

You should go Beefsteak, never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!

One never knows what tomorrow might bring, so you should grab all of your chances whilst you can.

I have not been out there, but Canada is a huge and growing country and you should see it iff you get the chance.

And see the Calgary Stampede whilst you're out there...that'll be something to tell the kids about, that's for sure...l.o.l.

However, many many moons ago, I did get to see Cornwall, and that was lovely, also Kent, and Stratford upon Avon were gorgeous places too.

back later,

Georgygirl.

Hey! Georgygirl

Canadian Eh?

Glad to see you aboard. I didn't go to Glaisdale. Grew up in dear old Netherfield.

Moved to Toronto in 1970. Lived on Keele Street, then Islington avenue. Moved out West to Calgary in 1975. ( Beefy! Take a trip out to Cochrane and Calgary if you can. Right next door to the Rockies, beautiful) Moved to Edmonton, Alberta and was there until my first wife died in 1999.

Met my second wife via a widow/widower support group on the Internet. She lived near Atlanta, Georgia. Proof long distance relationships can work we were 2500 miles apart and in different countries. Now been married for seven years.

Still love Canada best. I have two daughters and seven grandkids there. I go back there whenever I can.

I tell folks I'm British by birth, Canadian by choice and American by Marriage. :smile:

Some days I don't know where I belong.

Regards. Loppy.

Anyway, look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Glad to meet you Loppy, where you live sounds really great, and I bet the Rockies are gorgeous.

I still call England home, I think I always will, but yes you're right Canadian is what my children and grandchildren are, so this is where I am.

Why the name 'Loppy'...?

talk with you again soon, take care.

Georgygirl.

Love your dog, he's beautiful.

Georgygirl.

Welcome from Australia, Georgygirl. I too am a Bilboroughite from the 50`s.(Thaxted Close),but reading the Nottingham Evening Post web page,subsection Bilborough,tends to make you weep.

You will find 86 photos of the Glaisdale school on the sie www.friendsreunited.co.uk plus hundreds of former pupils.

I know St. Martins church well ,it had a very large area of land around where a former girlfriend and I spent many a happy hour after the dance in Nottingham.VERY spooky though.

There are also quite a few Photos of the Bilborough/St. Martin`s area on the www picturethe past.org.uk site also.

To go back to Bilborough now would not be a good idea if you have fond memories from the 50`s.

The vicar of St Martins also covers St. John`s Bilborough and David Williams from the 50`s also still helps out(he must be 90 by now!).He(David)was the most respected chap in Bilborough incredible chap,lived in a pre-fab near the church.

Maybe Bip can add to this note on the area.

Oh my, when I came to Canada, David was a curate at Saint Martins, before that there was Father Lavender, and Father Mitchell, both of them great guys, but yes...David lived at the bottom of Melford road when I left for Canada.

My two brothers, myself and my mum and dad lived at the Strelley road top of Melford road, and yes...l.o.l. I too spent many hours with boyfriends around that area you are speaking of, it was called 'the Glebe' in those days, a vast area of field with a swamp in it.

Do you remember the fair that would come on that area each year?

The link that you give me here I must say looks to be extremely interesting, and I will definately be checking it out, so thanks for sending it to me.

I have been told by many folks not to go back there now for many different reasons, but the main thing is that it has changed so much in so many different ways that I would be shocked, and not nicely shocked so they say.

So great to hear from you, take care and I hope we chat again Stan.

cheers Georgygirl.

Going back to Stans last post regarding me my mum and David Williams.

I’m not quite sure how far to take you back; I will turn the clock back to before the St johns church was built, the happy times I spent in a draffy scout hut praying on a Sunday evening with my mum and dad in attendance and me nodding off while listening to Mr Williams sermons.

My mum would baby sit for Mr Williams, she would take me with her, he wouldn’t be late and I would be tucked up in bed by eleven, we walked it there and back, I too like Stan lived in Thaxted close Bilborough and not like Stan went to that great Temple of learning William Sharpe Secondary modern…. hated every second of it.

My mum is no longer with us unfortunately but that’s life or death so to speak, I believe Mr Williams is but I’ve not seen him for over thirty years, doubt if he would recognise me now.

I remember fund raising for the new church that was going to be built, rummage sales and the like, I believe there was a catholic church just down the road from where the new church was going to be built on the opposite side of the road, the name escapes me at the present.

I didn’t do any of my courting in those places you and Stan mentioned only because at that time I had no interest in girls, bit different these days I can’t get enough of you, anyway I digress.

I attended St Johns church, it seemed at the time it was every day, you see my mum and dad were at that time well into church going, I think it was because they played such an active part in the fund raising, when eventually it was built they felt they had actually built the place, that attitude change when we moved from Bilborough to Wollaton in 1962.

I attended Sunday skool but unlike my mum and dad weren’t really into all this kneeling malarkey, I would bunk off many times and had a good slapping off me dad for doing so, I never forgave my dad for those days, he wouldn’t be able to get away with it in these times of child abuse PC ness. You see in those days one had a attendance card which had to be stamped on going through the entrance of the church was it called the naps or summut like that, that’s how I got found out,

In those days I was a bit of a rebel and basically couldn’t give a dam what I was told to do, these days I’m the opposite, anything for a quite life.

I’ve sold poppys with me mum at the Bracebridge shops out side of Farrands, I wore the tray around me neck and me mum rattled the can .

Those were the days when the poppies were all made by hand not like these days by the container full from China.

Bip.

Since ATV purchased FR, they have upgraded the site and lost most of the original material of their members. Many did not re enter their details. They have lost a lot of members to other similar sites. The rot set in when the people who started FR charged fees some years back. Then Facebook and some other sites sprang up with free membership that sapped FR. Since then, they dropped their charges, but it was too late!

FR's chat site FRC has been dropped and a third rate slooooowwww chat site was installed on the FR site as a cost cutting measure. I doubt FR will be running within a years time!! ATV are desperate to sell the business, so far no bidders.

I'd do a "google" of any name I'm looking for, or join one of the other "mates" sites, you'll have far better luck!

Morning guys,

in answer to Ashleys question, yes St. Martins is opposite to the Rose pub, right where the number 32 bus terminal turns around there.

My uncle designed that pub, the Rose, and he lived on Yatesbury crescent...did you know when they first put it up they put it up facing the wrong way, it was backwards, and it had to come down and be done the proper way? funny huh?

As for joining that other one, Friends United, I did that last night and got to bed really late because I found a whole load of people, could not believe my eyes, it was fantastic, even down to a boy that I had my very first proper one on one date with when I was fourteen.

Really hilarious as I reminded him how shy I was and nervous that I took my best friend with me to meet him outside the pictures, (don't remember the name of the cinema but we had a long walk past where the old Co-op used to be, that road) and needless to say I ended up not sitting with him but sitting with her...he never asked me out again, l.o.l.

Anyway, it was quite an adventure on there, so thanks to you all for mentioning it.

talk again real soon, take care folks,

Georgygirl.

Hi Georgygirl and Welcome.

I'd like to tell you all about Glaisdale school, but I only went there for a couple of months, whilst my mum was ill. I stayed with my grandmother for a while, on Staverton Road. I'm now in Cornwall, but was in Bilborough last week, when I visited relatives on Staverton & Trowell Ave etc again after 40'odd years.

I've always fancied Canada, since going out with girl from there in the 60's. I met her at Mablethorpe,,,,, her family were living at Saskatoon,,,,

coo,,,,,, more memories flooding back,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Baz

Morning guys,

in answer to Ashleys question, yes St. Martins is opposite to the Rose pub, right where the number 32 bus terminal turns around there.

My uncle designed that pub, the Rose, and he lived on Yatesbury crescent...did you know when they first put it up they put it up facing the wrong way, it was backwards, and it had to come down and be done the proper way? funny huh?

As for joining that other one, Friends United, I did that last night and got to bed really late because I found a whole load of people, could not believe my eyes, it was fantastic, even down to a boy that I had my very first proper one on one date with when I was fourteen.

Really hilarious as I reminded him how shy I was and nervous that I took my best friend with me to meet him outside the pictures, (don't remember the name of the cinema but we had a long walk past where the old Co-op used to be, that road) and needless to say I ended up not sitting with him but sitting with her...he never asked me out again, l.o.l.

Anyway, it was quite an adventure on there, so thanks to you all for mentioning it.

talk again real soon, take care folks,

Georgygirl.

I was just thinking more about the area just mentioned on Strelley road there, and I got to thinking about the whole area.

My mum and dad would sometimes take my brother and I up there with them on the odd weekend to visit a little pub call The Strelley Broad Oak, which was leading way into the countryside back then, as they could sit outside with us and have their drinks.

Does anyone know whether that is still there?

I remember the landlady used to keep lots of mechanical toys that you could wind up (monkeys playing the cymbals and such stuff)

When you went past that pub you were really out there and I would go up there as a girl to do my deepest thing about life and things...l.o.l.

It was always so peacefull, and way way up there a really old broken down church with a graveyard, which nobody went in because it was falling down and dangerous.

Anyway, I am getting carried away here, the real question is whether The Strelley Broad Oak is still there, anyone know?

cheers folks...Georgygirl.

I was just thinking more about the area just mentioned on Strelley road there, and I got to thinking about the whole area.

My mum and dad would sometimes take my brother and I up there with them on the odd weekend to visit a little pub call The Strelley Broad Oak, which was leading way into the countryside back then, as they could sit outside with us and have their drinks.

Does anyone know whether that is still there?

I remember the landlady used to keep lots of mechanical toys that you could wind up (monkeys playing the cymbals and such stuff)

When you went past that pub you were really out there and I would go up there as a girl to do my deepest thing about life and things...l.o.l.

It was always so peacefull, and way way up there a really old broken down church with a graveyard, which nobody went in because it was falling down and dangerous.

Anyway, I am getting carried away here, the real question is whether The Strelley Broad Oak is still there, anyone know?

cheers folks...Georgygirl.

Wow Bazzer,

I knew Staverton road very well, and lots of friends in that area too.

So you went out with a girl from Canada did you?

Memories flloding back huh? yup, mine too........

lovely talking with you.

Georgygirl.

Wow Bazzer, I knew Staverton road very well, and lots of friends in that area too.

My Uncle - who used to have a Mobile Shop - lived on Staverton Road. His 'route' took him all over Bilborough. That's why I was over that way last week, visiting his widoww, my aunt.

This got my dad interested in shops too, & we started our own business in Gedling.

Baz

I know st Martins church well ! My parents were married there many moons ago & I was Christened there in 1958, just about remember the occasion.

I was brought up in that area & remember the fair that visited the field next to Strelley Road before the houses were built on that land.

The Broad Oak pub was never allowed to open on Sundays as I remember, something to do with Mrs Edge owning the land I think.

Love your dog, he's beautiful.

Georgygirl.

Thank's. He's the origin of the name Loppylugs. One of my petnames for my Black Labrador, Solomon.

They say you start to look like your pet. flyswat He's ten years old now so I probably am!

Actually living in Georgia, USA at the moment. Miss the Rockies, but not the minus 30 winters.

I know st Martins church well ! My parents were married there many moons ago & I was Christened there in 1958, just about remember the occasion.

I was brought up in that area & remember the fair that visited the field next to Strelley Road before the houses were built on that land.

The Broad Oak pub was never allowed to open on Sundays as I remember, something to do with Mrs Edge owning the land I think.

I'm guessing there would be houses on that land now as just before we came out here my folks knew the guy that had got the contract for being the window cleaner to them all.

So you were baptized at Saint Martins in 58?...small world, my younger brother was baptized there in 60, where did you live, we lived first on Melford, and for a short time on Melbury.

Georgygirl

I was born at number 2 Darnhall Crescent opposite the shops.

I knew Darnhall crescent very well...what school did you go to then, did you go to Glaisdale too?

Georgygirl.