Past local Steam Engine and Vintage Vehicle Rallies.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We used to have a Wallis and Steevens 1922 Road Roller which we rescued from a field near Luton, where it had stood for many years, totally covered and hidden by weeds and bushes.  We had  to take the

All tractors are large these days, other than those used in yards or paddocks. It’s no longer economical to farm with smaller machines. The problem is when these gargantuans drive on the narrow countr

My little contribution to the vintage engine scene Before After   Petter   Rog

I’m interested. I think I’ve previously posted about my 1952 grey Fergie and my 1962 Ford 2000 Dexter. My son wanted to study agricultural engineering until he decided that he preferred politics at A level to physics and went on to study law. We were regulars at farm sales, agricultural shows and anything to do with vintage tractors and he’s still a bit of an expert on the subject. For a lawyer, his engineering workshop (his garage) is more comprehensive than mine. He used to help a local farmer in the summer holidays and I got roped in welding up parts to keep his old combine running. You may recollect a combine ‘graveyard’ at Fen Lane on the A1 south of Newark, where you could get combine parts by dismantling them yourself. Any pictures of old tractors are interesting to me - probably not to others though! :biggrin:

• Like 1

And before steam,petrol and diesel

swinderby_ploughing_(6).jpg

swinderby_ploughing_(7).jpg

swinderby_ploughing_(8).jpg

A lovely ploughing team from Newark Notts in a ploughing match at Swinderby Lincs

Rog

• Like 2

You know me Rog ow't to do with old engineering I love and the care and skill that's gone into those specimens is remarkable.

As to heavy horse aren't they just wonderful. As a lad in the 50s my best mates dad was an ostler for Shippo's and we could wander round the stables more or less at will, loved heavy horse especially shires ever since.

• Like 1

We used to have a Wallis and Steevens 1922 Road Roller which we rescued from a field near Luton, where it had stood for many years, totally covered and hidden by weeds and bushes.  We had  to take the chimney off to get it into one of our garages to enable my husband, the boys and a friend, who volunteered at Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway, to work on it and bring it back to its’ former glory.  We then acquired a 1946 Grey Ferguson tractor to pull it out of the garage.

My husband went off working in the Caribbean for a few weeks during which time our youngster, probably about 12 at the time, decided to sort the tractor out.  He took it apart, bit by bit. I didn’t know he was doing that, I was just happy that he was quiet and occupied in the school holidays.  I never went to look!   When Dad got home the garage where the Fergie once stood looked like a giant Meccano site.   So the priority was then to put the Fergie back together! 

They did that successfully and sent the Steam Roller to Hampshire on a low-loader to be steam tested and set about making the machine look good again.  It never got quite finished.  

We decided to move up to Nottingham, couldn’t find a village home that took our fancy and sold both the tractor and steam roller to an enthusiast for a nice sum.  Sad but there’s not much call for those vehicles in the City of Nottingham, we’ve still got all the relevant books in our library as a reminder.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

The same or very similar Ian.  I don’t think we have a single photo of ours.  Got some of the Fergie kicking about, the kids used to drive it around the fields a lot but their favourite was a little orange Kabuto tractor and when we moved up here they hung onto that, probably sold it by now though. 

10 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

As a lad in the 50s my best mates dad was an ostler for Shippo's and we could wander round the stables more or less at will, loved heavy horse especially shires ever since.

If you'd been born earlier, NBL, you'd have met my great grandad Sam Ward there. He came from farming stock. Born in Ompton near Ollerton in 1867, died in 1945 at 24 Suez Street. He too loved the heavy horses and had formerly ploughed the fields of Lambley with teams of them. Ended his working life at Shipstones.

• Like 2

Bicker_3.jpg

Bicker_4.jpg

Bicker_5.jpg

Bicker_8.jpg

I'll post a few more in a bit, apologies to those who are not interested in old machinery

Rog

• Like 3

Most likely can be seen at the Truckfest held at the Peterborough Showground.  Been several times. Fascinating ! Sunday 6th, and Monday 7th of May.

• Like 1

I was going to ask about Field Marshalls then blow me down loads of 'em show up. Facinated by the starting procedure on them.

Edit: Great pictures by the way..

• Like 1