Past local Steam Engine and Vintage Vehicle Rallies.

On 3/18/2018 at 8:08 PM, Willow wilson said:

Form follows function.

Tractors are beautiful.

Collingham YCF are having a charity tractor run tomorrow Sunday 7th October,start and finish at Brills farm Norton Disney LN6 9JN.  09.00 registration for a 10.00 am start,if you see someone on a trike taking pictures at the start give us a shout and have a natter

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We used to have a Wallis and Steevens 1922 Road Roller which we rescued from a field near Luton, where it had stood for many years, totally covered and hidden by weeds and bushes.  We had  to take the

All tractors are large these days, other than those used in yards or paddocks. It’s no longer economical to farm with smaller machines. The problem is when these gargantuans drive on the narrow countr

My little contribution to the vintage engine scene Before After   Petter   Rog

We have been having trouble with tractors in our village as they've been thundering down the streets at about 40mph this last week and although some of them are smallish, others are HUGE with massive wheels.  Some of the drivers have also been using their mobile phones while driving according to several people on our village Facebook page.  The drivers have obviously read the comments, as Paul saw 3 tractors slowly crawling up one of our streets today,  one  behind the other with a long queue of cars behind them.   I know they need to get the beet etc harvested but they shouldn't be such bullies just because they're big!

• Like 1

We had one of those Case four traks through our village last week towing a set of ploughs, as tall as the bungalows and nearly as long as a bus,articulated in the middle with two sets of rubber tracks on each half, a bit imposing but the driver was driving with care and attention,took up the whole width of the road, I like big machines but can understand your comments Margie

Rog

• Upvote 1

Tractors are a niusance when they hold the traffic up AND destroy the road surface. Really the only time we have problems and theyre not really problems is when its vendemmia time. They come in all sorts of sizes laden with grapes. The trouble shooters are the ones that instead of wheels they have tank whatever you call them.:( Theyve ruined part of our road which apparently is going to be sorted in the near future.:yahoo:

Oh and during the summer when its really hot the tractors keep us awake while they cut, spread and bale the hay or plough the fields. 

Sorry I'm not grumbling , I love living here.

• Like 1

Talking of roads being churned up, does anyone remember the state of the roads around Chilwell when the Royal Ordnance was there - together with their tanks which seemed to need daily exercise (like dogs, I suppose) outside the depot on the local highway? One of my lab assistants lived there and her father was a (civilian) tank driver who said they enjoyed churning the road up just to cause consternation in the locals. 1960's (ish).

All tractors are large these days, other than those used in yards or paddocks. It’s no longer economical to farm with smaller machines. The problem is when these gargantuans drive on the narrow country lanes and break up the verges and damage the drainage. What adds insult to injury is that they are exempt from road tax and use duty free red diesel. This would not be so bad if they were used primarily on the farm but now, because of their higher road speeds, they are used to haul giant trailers to take the produce to the grain stores or the beet factories, a job that was previously done by hauliers who have to pay the full road duties. They are causing considerable damage to the roads and verges around here but are not making a contribution to the repair costs. The simple fact is that the countryside road system evolved for the horse and cart and has not kept pace with modern machinery.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Saw these on today's tractor run and thought of our Margie and Nonna

P1060982.jpg

P1060987.jpg

Good turnout for the run in aid of the Bomber county gateway trust who are raising funds to build a life sized model Lancaster bomber and mount it near the A46 on the Notts/Lincs border for all to see

This is a small model of the full size one

P1060983.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

I should have taken a photo of tractors when it was the hazlenut fair. The square was full of men and their  tractors. Wonder how many were sold. My neighbours son has 2/3 of different sizes. Hes very proud of them and they are spotlessly clean 

• Like 1

I was told during a trip round Massey Ferguson some years ago that the agricultural machinery makers liked to take their tractors to shows and county fairs where the kids can climb over them and get into the cab and generally pull things about. Apparently the damage they caused highlighted any weaknesses in the machinery which were never envisaged at the design stage!:biggrin: 

• Like 3

That is rare. I've never seen one before. My son and I were big vintage tractor enthusiasts and used to go round all the shows and farm auctions. He was an authority on vintage tractors and had all the reference books. That was when he considered agricultural engineering as a career. He changed tack in the 6th. form and ultimately became a lawyer! He's still an engineer at heart though and has a comprehensive engineering workshop at his home. His Ph.D is based on the countryside and the legal aspects of access. He used to help on a local farm during school holidays and I used to get roped in at harvest time when I helped out with the combine repairs. 

• Like 2

I remember tanks running around Chilwell and University Blvd, they had hard rubber pads fitted to the tracks to limit the damage to the road surface. Wasn't there a temporary road bridge somewhere near the depot?

I like those small tractors, Rog, it's the ones with massive wheels that I find quite oppressive...