• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben, you'd better suggest that Jill puts in an application to become their next manager when the current incumbent departs

• Like 1
5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Bill whare correct answer,, so who were the five scots?

That's easy Ben and without Google

Chick Thomson

Joe McDonald

Bobby McKinlay - The clubs' greatest ever servant

John Quigley

Stewart Imlach

I think that Jeff Whitefoot is the only member of that team that is still with us

Interestingly there were no Welsh nationals in either team on that day

• Like 1

Very collectable these days Ian.

I used to buy them in the late 60s just after I started work and had a bit of money.

My dad's work mate gave me some from the 40s when I was a kid. The years when Notts had Lawton and Sewell packing out Meadow Lane. Forest didn't hit the heights until Billy Walker took them into the the old First Division in 1958. By then Notts had sunk to Div 4 which was when I started supporting them.

I bought the 1915 edition off eBay a few years back. Great reading.

The early ones are illustrated by Thomas Henry who also illustrated Richmal Crompton's William books.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

The year we won the Cup

Nice piece here about Jimmy Logan who scored a hat trick for Notts in the 1894 FA Cup Final

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2016/august/jimmy-logan-honoured/

• Like 2
23 hours ago, IAN123. said:

1-lawton4.jpgsorry about the orientation..Tommy Lawton shows of his Mapperley Park house.

As a player Lawton was real hero for Notts but when he became their manager he struggled.

3 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

At last a glimmer of hope, (it is the the hope that kills, mind)

Best Saturday evening for ages. Then I find I've won £30 on the lottery as well.

Shall I put it on Notts to beat The Stags?

• Like 2

This is one of those matches where I want both teams to win, Stags to consolidate their place for automatic promotion and Notts to win to help their fight for survival. A draw would probably be OK for the Stags but certainly not enough for Notts.

Overall I would have to come down on hoping for a win for Notts as this would put them level with Macclesfield having played the same number of games and then only one point from survival but their goal difference is a concern. Stags would remain 3-6 points clear of a play-off place but having played one or two game more than the teams around them.

Good to see the Imps going so well.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:43 AM, Mess said:

As a player Lawton was real hero for Notts but when he became their manager he struggled.

I've just read on Wiki that Tommy Lawton took on Tony Hateley and Jeff Astle as apprentices when he was Notts manager in 1957/8. Both of course were fantastic headers of the ball like their mentor. I heard somewhere that one of Lawton's training methods was to get centre forwards to jump onto the edge of a snooker table starting from a standing position. That's some feat!

If the Wiki entry is accurate then it would appear Lawton got a raw deal when he was sacked by Notts at the end of the 1957/8 season. It states he only received 3 months salary when he left having been verbally offered a 3 year contract. It also states that when he was Notts manager he went without wages for 6 months to assist the club's finances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Lawton

I was given this excellent book about the great man as a Christmas present which I must get round to reading. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notts-County-Lawton-Football-Histories-ebook/dp/B007SA688I/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1550060778&sr=1-9&keywords=tommy+lawton

On 2/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Mess, we are certainly due a win over the Stags,they seem to have the "eye" over us in recent meetings.

Too right Deepdene. I read somewhere that we haven't beaten The Stags in 12 years.

I was at Meadow Lane in March last season. There was a snow storm and Notts were winning 1-0 but gave away a penalty in the last minute and Kane Hemmings tucked it away.

It would be nice to see him score against his old club on Saturday and help us bag a very much needed 3 points.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Mess, we are certainly due a win over the Stags,they seem to have the "eye" over us in recent meetings.

Too right Deepdene. I read somewhere that we haven't beaten The Stags in 12 years.

I was at Meadow Lane in March last season. There was a snow storm and Notts were winning 1-0 but gave away a penalty in the last minute and Kane Hemmings tucked it away.

It would be nice to see him score against his old club on Saturday and help us bag a very much needed 3 points.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County