• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody going (Apart from me that is)

Sorry friend, it's too far for me.

I just had a look at the Vulcan website and I notice that No 4 engine is out and not due to be refitted until tomorrow, they'll have to work hard to get the beast ready in time, fingers crossed for you.

I decided to go by rail to this one as they were advertising a special price "Combination Ticket"

I have had great fun trying to convince Gunga Din in the Indian call center for Arriva trains WALES that they are advertising a combi ticket on their website, and on the official RAF Cosford site too.

Scroll half way down this page

http://www.cosfordairshow.co.uk/Tickets.htm

And this one speaks for itself!!

http://www.arrivatrainswales-promotions.co...spx?eventid=436

After an age of being on hold he couldn't help me and told me that they were no longer available, I asked when they had been stopped he told me February, Wierd says I they didn't go on sale till May 1st!!!

Why do they think we are as daft as them ???

It also makes me laugh that the Welsh go screaming for independance and Welsh jobs for Welsh people etc, yet their very own National Rail Network (Arriva Trains WALES) go farming their enquiries out to India, where you then spend half an hour explaining to some one exactly what an air show is.!!!!

I keep checking on the TVOC site but I aint sure that the Vulcan will be ready in time, hopefully the CAA will allow it's flight up to Cosford as passing it's air test and you may get to see it in the air.

I'll be interested to see whether Cosford open up their hangars and you'll get the chance to view some of the multitude of Jaguars that are stored up there, I reckon that there's more at Cosford than were ever in active service at Coltishall!

How does your train ticket work, do you have to pay for the obviously extortionate parking arrangements at Crewe, and are you taking the 'gang' with you.

Hope the day goes off well anyway.

I am going on my own to this one, leaving the car with SWMBO, so they can have a picnic if the weather is ok. The train is only £15.20p , not bad for a 140+miles round trip, I would certainly use more than that in petrol.

Don't know if the hangers are open , the museum itself is, but I may not have much time to get round them as there is a 6 hour display!!

On the subject of trains , if I only pay £15. 20 for 140+ miles how come it's £110.50p for a one way, off peak single to St Austell, only 350 miles ??

Is this the first flight of the Vulcan since the 80's/90s? I'd love to see/hear that beastie fly again

I used to be a regular air-show-goer until the kids were born. All over the country, RAF and USAF bases. Got some great photos that I'm currently working through scanning.

Feel free to post them in the aviation stuff we have going.

It's not the first flight for the Vulcan, she did a few airshows last year, I was lucky enough to see her at Southport, unfortunately she had a run of bad luck during the season leading to a lot of cancellations, better luck this year !!

Feel free to post them in the aviation stuff we have going.

It's not the first flight for the Vulcan, she did a few airshows last year, I was lucky enough to see her at Southport, unfortunately she had a run of bad luck during the season leading to a lot of cancellations, better luck this year !!

Will do when I'm done scanning (such a monster task) and I figure out how.

Now I know the Vulcan is flying again I'll keep my eyes/ears open

She's doing her pre season flights at RAF Brize Norton today, so fingers crossed we'll have her at Cosford on Sunday

Beefsteak

Rolls Royce have approved the engine fit and the Vulcan was outside the hangar yesterday presumably having engine runs. I just checked on the live web cams from Bruntingthorpe and it's back inside the hangar, as the weather is supposed to be initially fine, I hope it will have an airtest today, try the TVOC website and you should be able to see how things are going, fingers crossed for you on sunday.

Rail fares are wierd, it's not advertised at all, but round here they do an East Anglian Day Railrover ticket for £12, children under 16 travel free. We only heard of it by chance in a railway magazine, the railway companies don't advertise it at all and you have to look really hard to find it. March up to any local railway station and you can buy one, it's unlimited travel anywhere on our system and I'm sure they do one for your area. We tried it out a couple of years ago and I had to spend a bit of time on the net working out the trains, but we had a great family day out on the North Norfolk coast for £24 which included travelling along some really scenic routes, the Fens, Thetford Forest, the Poppy Line, all the trains were spot on time and were really clean and comfortable, we really enjoyed it, and the cost of petrol and stress of driving couldn't compare.

Just saw your posting, why Brise Norton when as of 10 minutes ago she was clearly visible live in the hangar at Bruntingthorpe.

Still in there I'm afraid with the barriers up.

Apparently she had a minor fuel leak and a generator problem, she will be off between 11 and 1 today

XH 558 departs brunty for Brize at 11.30 am (10 minutes time)

She finally got airborn at about 2.15pm and is currently climbing through 1500ft

She's actually gone straight to Cosford and is on finals as I type

Great stuff mate, considering that this time last week it was minus one engine and had a possible corrosion problem, they've worked wonders.

So it will be display practice tomorrow and all set for Sunday.

We've a village fete and garage sale tomorrow so I'll have to give the Queens Flypast a miss, though the BBMF usually fly this way anyway. If Plantfitt is around Coningsby, they are putting up a nine ship Typhoon formation, probably taking off around midday, plus the BBMF of course, it will be a busy day at Conno.

9shipTyphoondisplay.jpg

9 Ship typhoon display from last years family day at Coningsby, I got all set to take loads of pictures of this display when some guy from Billinghay started asking me questions about why there was so many people there that day, obviously coming from Nottingham I'm not going to be ignorant so I tried to answer his questions best I could thereby missing all the camera shots I could have got.

At least the guy went away happy knowing what was going on

Rog

Hurry up Beefsteak, wer'e waiting with baited breath here, just the shots of the Vulcan will do for starters.

Incidentally, with regards to the train, did you have to go from Crewe to Shrewsbury then catch a Birmingham bound train to get to Cosford.

Plantfit, I was out in the garden at the in-laws garage sale in the next village and heard the BBMF pass in the distance on their way to Buck House, couldn't see them though, but I reckon that they must have passed over my garden at home. This happened last year, I was watching the main formations elsewhere and Liz was out in the garden and reckoned they nearly took the roof off, my mistake, I had the perfect excuse to go home and let the dog out, but I didn't work that one out at the time.

Saw a very unusual 'Warbird' yesterday afternoon, heard the sound of Pratt and Whitneys and assumed it was the Catalina, it wasn't, it was a Beech 18, sounds innocuous, but it isn't, a nice twin engined WW2 liason aircraft, not many about these days.

All of you aiplane guys might already be aware of this but there is a bunch of stuff on Youtube under "Justplanes."

They deal with commercial airliners but there is some interesting stuff on there. They also sell DVDs I bought one of their Canadian airline DVDs. Very happy with it. Not trying to sell for them I have no commercial connection with them.

Loppy

I'm still only about a third of the way through editing my pics (Kids around my feet you know) I only took 1128 so you see it takes a bit of time !!!

Mildenhall 1997

While poor Beefsteak is trying to edit his pictures, I came apon these while searching for stuff to take to the Boot Sale last sunday.

Most of my pictures are on slides or video, this one was no exception, I took hours of video as it was one of the best airshows I ever went to. I did take a few quick snaps, not many, but here's a few of them for a bit of light relief, some of you might appreciate them.

The theme of the show was the USAF 50th anniversary and they pulled out all the stops to make it a memorable one, Air Fete was one of the best shows in the annual calendar anyway, for so many different reasons. It was abandoned for security reasons following 9/11, a real shame and sorely missed, though the new (female) base commander keeps hinting that she wants to bring it back, we'll see.

Sods law is that I can't find the programme, I've found all the others going back to 1981, but not this one, I know I have it somewhere.

Heres the ticket which covered a car and its occupants, which meant as many people as you could cram in, as I took 4, you can understand it was ridiculously cheap to get in:-

scan0071.jpg

The first item on the agenda was always one of the base KC-135 tankers which usually started the proceedings at about 10:30, I was late once and sent across the end of the runway, one of these landed right over the top of us, it was pretty hairy:-

scan0060-1.jpg

We had so many display teams that day, The Reds:-

scan0058.jpg

scan0057.jpg

Patrouille de France:-

scan0056.jpg

scan0069.jpg

Turkish Stars:-

scan0064-1.jpg

Frecce Tricolori:-

scan0055.jpg

There were also the Parouille de Suisse, not on here but most entertaining, the USAF Thunderbirds, a real rarity over here:-

scan0052.jpg

Not sure what this is, it may be an Italian AMX but the colours aren't right:-

scan0066-1.jpg

Then the usual suspects:-

Nimrod

scan0068.jpg

Tornado

scan0067.jpg

Then some things not seen very often, especially these days.

Swedish Viggen:-

scan0065-2.jpg

Spanish F-18 Hornet:-

scan0061-1.jpg

Jolly Green Giant:-

scan0070-1.jpg