• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smoking upstairs only please.

This page brings back memories. From early 1968 to march 69 (When I left England with my family) I worked for Nottingham City transport on the 39 run and occasionally on the 24 route. On the 39 rout

For all its superficial late 70s modernity 666 was easily the worst iteration of John Lowrie's classic Nottingham Standard design. The setsquare straight front end looks like the best endeavours of a 12 year old designing a bus for the 21st century.

My favourite was always the low height "J regs" that ran on the Clifton routes.

I agree with you there Bamber, I really don't like the look of it. I'm assuming that this was the only one of it's type, how long was it in service for and why weren't others built.

I note it was given a very sinister number, was this a standing joke in the Transport Department.

A few people refused to travel on it because of the number 666.

Bamber, i remember the low deckers on Clifton no 398 and 399. they used them on Wilford lane because of the low bridge.

!englandflag!

pic's of 'lowdeckers' please? someone out there must have one/two?

the only 'low height' buses i remember were the 'squat' light blue ones that ran from the bus station behind Central Market in the 50's & 60's, out to North Notts?

come on you anoraks!! educate me please!! !clapping!

Here you go VAU697J.

NCT low height Atlantean

OK, Thanks Bamber, but I thought low level buses were around much earlier, they aren't exactly nostalgic buses to anyone over 50!!

I remember all the 'flared' back half cab coaches that Skills ran from Peveril street, and also the West Bridford double deckers that ran in the sixties, 15/15A to wilford lane, (I was 'schooled' at the Becket) and travelled everyday from Aspley, what a journey by motorised & trolley buses..................... !cheers!

In the days of front engined buses "low bridge" buses had a different upper saloon layout. The seats were laid out four abreast and the gangway went down one side in a kind of sunken trough. This allowed the bus to be built low enough to go under low bridges - hence the name.

Bristol introduced their Lodekka chassis which allowed a normal upper saloon layout within a low bridge specification. Barton went one better however and ordered a traditional low bridge body on a Dennis low height chassis to get an ultra low height vehicle. Dennis Loline

Nottingham's low height Atlanteans were a modified version of the Nottingham Standard design with a much lower floor on the bottom deck to allow for a lower overall height.

I won't go into Nottingham's C and E reg AEC Renowns which had full height bodywork on a low height chassis.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the long bump. Nottingham City Transport bought 10 front engine/rear entrance low-bridge buses for the Clifton services in 1954. Prior to this there were 7 bought second-hand from Bradford in 1952 when the Clifton services first began. Here's a link showing both : http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=160

• 9 months later...

Monster bump!

This information comes straight from Daryl Hemsell's "From Daimler to Scania".

For the low height Atlanteans NCT specified some very clever modifications. First they fitted low profile tyres which provided an inch. The lower saloon floor was mounted directly onto the chassis with a 70 inch headroom. The upper saloon floor was of a special extra thin design as was the upper deck roof. The end result was a vehicle that stood 13' 7" tall but with none of the design shortcomings of other operators' vehicles.

When the new vehicles arrived they were taken for a test drive under Wilford Lane bridge to make sure there was no problem. Apparently South Notts drivers were amazed to see a "normal height" NCT bus pass under the bridge and Arthur Dabell (from South Notts) even visited NCT to find out how the seemingly impossible had been achieved.

Of course it did help that NCT had gone to the trouble of checking the measurements of the bridge. The clearance wasn't the posted 13' 6" but in fact 14 feet. A six inch safety margin had been allowed for. So South Notts buses built to a 13' 2" design had been pointless!

I'll get my anorak.

• Upvote 1

That single deck bus belonged to Burton on Trent transport. I don't recognise the photo as being anywhere in Nottingham, and the bus behind is definitely not in NCT colours. Looks like some kind of historical rally, and those girls are dressed in early 1970s fashion.

I think Shippos did get as far as Burton, so that may explain it.

I thought it looked a bit similar to The Horse and Groom on Wheeler Gate (right-hand image)

I thought Wheeler Gate when I first saw it, but the buildings on the other side of the road - and width of it - don't seem to fit.

Further to Katyjays post.......................scroll down ...................

The Black
Boy was situated on Market Place. This ex-Shipstone pub was rebuilt by T P Wood
& Co in 1887. This wonderful plain market boozer became The Trader and then
The Traders between 1985 and 1990 and then closed shortly afterwards. Converted
to retail use in 1991.

Source: Steve Peck

Was that Black Boy connected in any way to the Black Boy on Market Street in the 70's?

Well I never knew that, Cliff Ton. I used to work at the Black Boy (Berni Inn version) on Market Street. They had the statue there, but I never knew there had been a much grander building.