Nah then be owd son, another ex pat this side of pond!

And another one - been in the US since 1978 - at the moment just north of Ann Arbor, Michigan!

I'm feeling a little isolated here......welcome Quicksilva don't forget to catch my blog every day it makes for inspirational reading...

Bip.

I'm feeling a little isolated here......welcome Quicksilva don't forget to catch my blog every day it makes for inspirational reading...

Bip.

You're isolated no more Bip... (though I must admit, I'd go live in the US if the chance occured)

Welcome Quicksilva (from a forum newbie too.)

We are under tornado watch at the moment Loppy, been a miserable coupld of days, hot and humid, like you sweating cobs!

don't like them foreighners sic to give all the eyups , one ere from Cheshire

,,,, and another welcome,,, from Cornwall.

,,,, strange how lots of folk from Notts went to live at Skeggy (etc),,,, but not many from Skeggy to Nott's.

am looking forward to you memoirs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Baz

We are under tornado watch at the moment Loppy, been a miserable coupld of days, hot and humid, like you sweating cobs!

Severe thunderstorm watch here. But only a couple of rumbles so far. Hope those twisters pass you by.

I don't know how folks lived here before air conditioning.

Thanks for the warm welcome all...

I was only born there....moved to nottm as a baby...

Went to Bentinck Primary...Then Claremont Boys...Which subsequently married up with Manning and became the Forest school across from the forest.

I remember the Riots in Hyson green...

I delivered papers to Briarwood Ct. (the tower block flats @ noel st) and most of Hyson Green/Forest Fields

Erected scaffolding for Tubitt's out of Hucknall....And currently live In North central Florida next to the University Of Florida.

MDG

Funny thing Dave, the storms was split into two sections, one lot in Arkansas and the other in Missouri, it was starting to merge, then hit the Ozarks, which split it completely. So we just saw flashes of lightning and nothing more.

We don't have air conditioning Dave! We do use ceiling fans though!!

Funny thing Dave, the storms was split into two sections, one lot in Arkansas and the other in Missouri, it was starting to merge, then hit the Ozarks, which split it completely. So we just saw flashes of lightning and nothing more.

We don't have air conditioning Dave! We do use ceiling fans though!!

The Ozarks?

A dear friend of mine that I've got to know on a work related forum is from those parts. Havent seen him online in a couple of days... is everything ok there?

Always great in the Ozarks Jonesy! The Ozarks are the remnants of what is thought to be America's oldest mountains, also thought to have been it's tallest mountains too. But alas composed of limestone quickly weathered down to it's present height. It straddles north west Arkansas into almost central Missouri with some of the regions greatest scenery, large natural springs, lakes and for those that like it, fishing!

Going back to the original subject for a second here...does anyone know of Burford road in Forest Fields, my grandma lived there all her life, 169 Burford road to be precise?

Just two doors down from the little corner shop that was run by a lady named Eileen.

My grandma passed on in 1956 but I was wondering iff those old terraced houses are still there, many memories of the back entry part, real scary?

There was a Baptist church just around the corner and the stained glass window faced my grandmas back door where you would have to go out of to go to the toilet (no indoor plumbing back then)

And this great big gigantic saint, no idea which one it was...with his hands outstretched towards you, would glare at you every time you stepped outside the back door.

Never would go out there unless my mum or somebody was with me, it was bloody scary for a kid.

Do not know how anybody lived without air conditioning in Canada ever, it's way too humid for anyone that was raised on British weather, I do the 'meltdown' bit every year, it's really bad.

I actually love it when it rains now, and have for many years.

The Canadian weather jumps from one extreme to the other, too damned cold in the winter, but I prefer it....and then way way way too hot, sticky and humid in the summer.

Bad hair days? forget it...I get bad hair seasons.

Georgygirl.

Hi GG,

I did a google search for the address that you mentioned & e-mailed a modern picture it to you.

Whilst it looks completely re-built, there looks like a church still, on the left of the picture.

There are many old maps on these pages, so i'm sure you'll find one with the area 'as was' (someone on here will no doubt point you to the right place,,,,,)

My grandparents also came from Forest Fields, but I have no idea where abouts.

I'm sure others on these pages will give you more idea of the area,,,,,

good luck

Thankyou for the Google map folks of Burford road, it hasn't changed at all on there.

Something I thought I would never see again.'

Back later on...Georgygirl.

Something I wrote many years ago about that old house on Burford road...memories of a ten year old kid...

GRANDMAS CELLAR.

Thirteen stone steps, so cold on your feet

But back in those days, no central heat,

Trepedation at the fore, you'd open up the door

Step carefully down to the place of concrete.

The second step down you could't help but see

Cus that is where the coal skuttle would be,

Sitting there to the side always on call

And teetering above it, Grandmas house key.

Iff you looked further down, scarier still

A big hook on the wall put up by Uncle Bill,

That was where the gas masks hung

And Grandma said they always will.

A scarier place I never could dream

This was the worst to me it did seem,

Didn't understand the grownups talk

Creeping down, and ducking under the green beam.

Over in the corner a big pile of black

Which the coleman delivered in a brown coloured sack,

It wasn't even coal, cus that cost too much

Coke was brought to Grandma by her friend Jack.

No walls in the cellar, no not back there then

The men tore them down when war had begun,

So under the streets they were all together

They'd be down there for hours, till everything was done.

Grandma said 'don't be scared, there's nothing down here,

It's just ghosts of the past that cause all the fear,'

Cold, dark, and damp didn't help it at all

And it was like that for many a year.

People grow up, and life carries on

But the memories of that cellar, well they haven't gone,

The minds eye remembers, it doesn't let go

And history is something that cannot be undone.

I wonder today iff that cellar is still there

And I don't even know why I still really care,

Maybe it's ghosts of the past, like she said?

As I sit today wondering in my own comfy chair.

Well whatever the reason I don't wish to know

Back down there is somewhere I don't want to go,

A curious place that belongs in the past

But will I forget it? I really don't think so!

thanks again...Georgygirl.

Very nice Georgygiirl, you bought back memories on my grandma's cellar in Old Basford. I can still recall the smell, somewhere between a musty damp, and coal dust.

Kath

The Canadian weather jumps from one extreme to the other, too damned cold in the winter, but I prefer it....and then way way way too hot, sticky and humid in the summer.

Bad hair days? forget it...I get bad hair seasons.

Georgygirl.

Hey GG.

You need to move West to Alberta.

We started out in TO for four years. Those humid summers just about did me in. I was working in construction at the time.

We moved west because housing was cheaper than TO but the humidity in Alberta is way less. It can be 80 - 90 but still feels quite comfortable in fact they say the humidity level is lower than the Sahara!

Even the 30 below winters do not feel too bad as it is very dry. The snow blows around like sand across the roads rather than sticking much of the time.

Got to give credit to TO though. If you have to live in a big city it was great in the early seventies. Lots to do and see and safe to ride the subway at night. Not sure what it is like in these days. Probably going down the tubes like so many places.

Dave