• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have a book called "Victorian Nottingham by Micheal Payne whose grandfather, Edwin Gordon took quite a few photos around nottingham between 1890 and 1912 its been somewhere in the spare room not l

No idea where now but somewhere on the net you can view the official drawings of the gcr route showing every bridge cutting station etc with location in miles from London through Notts etc, thinking

www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/planIndex.php

• 6 months later...

i have a book called "Victorian Nottingham by Micheal Payne whose grandfather, Edwin Gordon took quite a few photos around nottingham between 1890 and 1912

its been somewhere in the spare room not lost, just "put safe" as is the way of things, i found it today whilst looking for something else entirely.

348rgva.jpg

o.k. everybody, guess who just found out how to screen cap from google earth!

i think the next pic is roughly where the above was taken, the only clue i could use is the house frontage in the top left.

azj6g0.jpg

this, i think is the anarchy bridge without the tuckshop (or any other buildings!) near it-

1zd0yrs.jpg

and the same view today, well not quite because google didn't drive their cam car much farther down coronation ave!

2w74vvl.jpg

1z1a5c9.jpg

and lastly Melton road as it is now, although there's no sign of a railway the old folks homes do give a good idea of where the embankment was.

wonder what Lillie and Edwin would make of this now?

2i7s8c3.jpg

there are also some pics that have caught parts of the suburban railway i'll post in a relevant thread because i'm pretty sure ashley would like to see those!

• Upvote 1

348rgva.jpg

o.k. everybody, guess who just found out how to screen cap from google earth!

i think the next pic is roughly where the above was taken, the only clue i could use is the house frontage in the top left.

azj6g0.jpg

Not quite...... you're on the wrong side of the bridge. The original black and white photo is taken from about here.....

bridge-4.jpg

...and the original bridge is about where McDonalds is now (the second bunch of trees on the left)

The bridge on Coronation avenue was still there in about 1979, as i went to what was then Roland Green, the railway bridge over the trent near the toll bridge was still there then as well, so does anyone know when they were demolished.

If the bridges were still there they would probably have been chosen for the new tram route.

This bridge was on the old Great Central Line in Wilford and the site now looks like this https://maps.google....=12,103.64,,0,0

I'm not sure what you mean by the "anarchy" bit!

in post No. 9 by cliff ton on this thread there are links to three photos of this bridge in 79, on the buttresses someone has painted "anarchy is order" so i've christened it anarchy bridge!

Not quite...... you're on the wrong side of the bridge. The original black and white photo is taken from about here.....

bridge-4.jpg

...and the original bridge is about where McDonalds is now (the second bunch of trees on the left)

could be, but..........

if you look at the dark blur near where the man is standing in the victorian pic, it seems to match the lie of the road where the white sided building with railings is. also i think the ladybay bridge the book talks about is a bridge over the canal which i'm sure is what the gently rising blur area actually is.

although on the other hand in your google earth pic the house peeping through the trees could be the house behind the embankment, but as i'm writing this i realise that house should be further back to be behind the railway.

*edit*

4tpxyo.jpg

nailed it. the house behind the embankment is now the gallery hotel, chimneys gone, back range extended up another floor, but the windows match.

good spot cliff!

in post No. 9 by cliff ton on this thread there are links to three photos of this bridge in 79, on the buttresses someone has painted "anarchy is order" so i've christened it anarchy bridge!

You've got your bridges mixed up :) . The anarchy bridge is this one http://www.pictureth...002527&prevUrl=

That is the old Midland Railway embankment - totally disappeared - near Stratford Road. The photo of Coronation Avenue is the Great Central in Wilford.

No idea where now but somewhere on the net you can view the official drawings of the gcr route showing every bridge cutting station etc with location in miles from London through Notts etc, thinking about it might have been on some Leicester council gc history site

like this2_3.jpg

• Upvote 1

You've got your bridges mixed up :) . The anarchy bridge is this one http://www.pictureth...002527&prevUrl=

That is the old Midland Railway embankment - totally disappeared - near Stratford Road. The photo of Coronation Avenue is the Great Central in Wilford.

what would i do without you cliff! it makes sense, because according to the book Edwin and Lillie moved to Henry road which just around the corner from where this bridge would be.

although i'm not doing very well at this, my idea is to try to place these lost locations in the modern landscape. the west bridgford area is interesting to me because i've worked at a lot of house's in this very area, and i know about the railway coming through there, so to see pictures of the area how it was is great, but its also nice to fix them to where they are now, due to the point, as you say there really is very little trace of any of this nowadays.

Aye up Phil, when we first came to live at radciffe (2002) took an interest in the GNR still in use route looking at the various "features" or rather lack of them, the bridge over the trent and viaduct apart, to me it all seemed very bland.

As you say there's little left of the Midland line, the walk/cycle path apart, access to which can be gained at either end by the way, I do recall some of the bridges still in place, and in use? ( first seen 1964 onwards for a few years on odd trips to The Dancing Slipper) but of little interest in those days.. Today it is still possible if so inclined or plain bored, (I did it!) to trace the route of the missing bit from Lady Bay Bridge to Melton Rd via different newer buildings etc plonked among older ones,a part embankment still there, and odd brick work still remaining.