What did you think of the England match last night.

Did that performance make us prospective World Cup winners then, who knows, there was much enthusiasm and a mixture of young and old blood, I think that our Mafia boss has got the attitude right and it's great to see how much imput 'Psycho' has on all this, there was a great filmed moment of interaction between the two of them.

I could not understand why Beckham was being booed everytime he touched the ball, he had a great match, he could put a long pass wherever he wanted, at 34 and a strange recent career, he slotted in and worked well for the team, I've always been a supporter of his, despite getting married to that obnoxious bitch who quite frankly wants drowning in her own Bullimic vomit, why did he do it?

Please can someone also explain to me why ITV Sport continue to use David Pleat as a commentator.

OK, he's a local lad, but has modified his accent to make it sound 'Nottingham Posh', which hilariously slips occasionally, grass is grass, not grarse David. Disliked at Mundella, his football career was a non event and apart from some success at Luton, so was his managerial career, sacked from Spurs for kerb crawling.

All he can do is state the obvious, he has no sense of humour, wit, repartee or capable of making any off the cuff comments, he has a monotonous droning voice and contributes absolutely nothing to the spirit of the game, quite frankly, he's dead from the neck upwards. He can't even read the game either, one minute he was praising Beckham for his pin point crosses then the next was critisizing the team for not being able to cross the ball. I give up, I hate the bloke, I can't believe that there isn't another football commentator better than him in this country, I reckon that Les Bradd would do a better job, trouble is, he's not Kosher.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can almost believe this.

The England squad arriving back in the county early this morning.

We'll soon have no Prime Minister, no Leader of the Opposition and no England football manager.

...David Pleat...

Otherwise, you rather like him...

Suggest we are now (as in first class cricket) reaping the harvest of excessive overseas mercenaries recruitment, thereby vastly reducing the number of England eligible players. Apparently, Capello has around 60% of the players to select from, compared to those eligible a decade ago.

This dearth of recruits no better illustrated than the selection of this totally un-coordinated deadleg Crouch. How genuine goalscorers from earlier times...who never had their international opportunity...must cringe watching this clown tarnishing the England No 9 shirt.

Combine that with the current PC requirement to also select a quota of mediocre blacks (Heskey, James, Lescott.. et al) and the long term future seems none too bright...

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

It was nice to see the rest of the England 1966 squad being given winners medals (Jimmy Greaves included) at last (Only the actual players got them in 66)

ITV were too obsessed with their adverts and pundit crap to show the ceremony properely. Were they exact replicas of the original medals and why has it taken so long for these old boys to be given their rightful rewards.

I thought that Jimmy had put a bit of weight on, he's still a character though and said what he thought as usual, it was a sad day when the TV companies dispensed with his punditry, he had everything going for him, wit, humour, eccentricity and great experience of the game, how can the TV companies replace him with a boring, talentless moron like Pleat, their continued employment of him leaves me completely baffled, the deals must be struck at the Synagogue.

Incidentally, for better or worse, Greavsie was a big post match drinking companion of my Hungarian pal. A few years ago Liz was driving him into London when a car pulled up alongside, down came the window, it was Greavsie, 'Bloody Hell, it's old Hungarian John, how are you doing mate'.

Hungarian John doesn't drink any more, I hope that Greavsie is keeping himself safe too.

• 5 months later...

... I hope that Greavsie is keeping himself safe too....

In 55 years of watching top class soccer, first 35 years as a paying spectator, he remains the best natural goalscorer I've ever seen...bar none. The only one to get anywhere near him was Ferenc Puskas.

Cheers

Robt P.

• 4 years later...

I see by the enormous amount of coverage of last nights game versus San Marino, that everyone else is totally underwhelmed by the game. I settled down to watch it, then turned the sound off and played on here after 10 mins. F... Ing garbage in the extreme . World Cup..... We couldn't win a 50dding egg cup.

• Upvote 2

I don't blame Roy, it's the players. Nobody does anything extraordinary. Split the white ones from the black ones, and that's the only difference. They are all the same. F...ing boring.

Where's today's Rodney Marsh, Charlie George, Stan Bowles, Stan Colleymore ?

• Upvote 1

Just seen the head of the FA on the news, bemoaning the poor state of "grass roots" football - poor pitches, awful changing rooms, lack of people who can coach the kids.

That could easily be fixed if the billionaires and millionaires of the Premier League dipped into their TV-funded deep pockets. But it's far easier for them to import players rather than develop home-grown talent.

• Upvote 3

It was embarrassing watching England play last night. Most of the England players earn six figure sums a week and they were playing the part timers of San Marino who only have one profesional player in their team. San Marino are the joint lowest rated team (208th) in the FIFA World rankings, alongside Bautan. San Marino have never won a European Championship or World Cup game. The reason I'm stating all these facts is to show what a pathetic England performance it was. The crowd was the lowest ever for an England game and with the score 0-0 at around 20 minutes I'll bet they wished they'd stayed at home and watched it on the TV. England ended the first half 2-0 up but they were goals that were given to them, not what they'd created. The first was when the San Marino goalkeeper fell over his own player and watched as the ball was headed into the empty net. Englands second was a penalty after Rooney had been kicked in the mouth in the penalty area. There's a lot of people that would like to do that...lol. In the second half San Marino began to tire and England made it 5-0. Estonia, who are 81st in the FIFA World rankings, play England on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

What is with all this triangular passing just outside the box? Yes okay do it to go past a defender and then progress forwards towards the goal but for goodness sake don't keep doing it to try and demonstrate your 'skills'. It seems their sole aim is to impress management and media with this negative activity. Obviously the performance will break down sooner or later and the opposition will gain possession.

And what FA rules state that Rooney has to be lauded by media and TV pundits all the time? They are constantly finding excusses for his poor performances. When is he going to start chasing after an opponent to challenge for the ball? Why does he 'nearly get to the ball; why does he nearly put a sitter into the back of the shed? When is he going to give half his moneys worth? It reminds me of the emperors suit of clothes. Nobody dares to give criticism of his play for fear of other pundits saying "How dare you?"

I wouldn't pick him for a Subbuteo game, even for the opposition.

• Upvote 2

Today's risk takers are tomorrow's heros. No one dare try anything outrageous for fear of being ostracised.

Melissa,

There was a time when players put the England shirt on with pride at being selected to play for their country.

These days, they wait for their agent to confirm that they have reached agreement on how much they will be paid to do it.

• Upvote 1

And that's supposed to make it ok ....... Nuff said

What is with all this triangular passing just outside the box? Yes okay do it to go past a defender and then progress forwards towards the goal but for goodness sake don't keep doing it to try and demonstrate your 'skills'.

I assumed they kept trying it because they had been instructed to play that way. As we saw, it was a waste of time against a massed defence.

Sorry Michael, no offence meant !

• 1 year later...