hi folks,

been lurking for some time now, finely ive joined.

may i ask for your patience, not computer savvy.

first let me say , happy to be , among you all.

the homour and dry wit, is priceless, and i love it. i lived on vernon rd 1943- 1960 moved to bulwell, and then los angeles and finaly to canada.

longed to find a forum like this one, i am the only one left, pretty lonley out here in this vast

country. hope you all read this message, most of the time they have ended up in cyber space.

regards to you all !englandflag!

So you're in Canada, me too, so you could probably say we are both 'transplants'?

I am a newbie too, from Nottingham, on Melford road born in 1946, but in Canada since 1965.

Where abouts in Canada are you?

Like I said, I am a newbie, and I found this site three weeks ago and have been wandering in here now and again since then.

The conversations are priceless, taking you all over the place and remembering stuff that you have buried in your mind from years ago, it has set my mind to thinking on more than one occasion.

Found people that knew me back when, and also found folks that I knew back when...priceless website really.

Good luck, and hope we talk again soon.

Georgygirl.

Hi truckstop, from another transplant. Had relatives on Vernon Rd, #229 and the wallpaper shop on Vernon Crossings.

Georgygirl, just hit 'fastreply' to answer a previous posting, then you won't get the quotes. Ta me duck.

Kath

O'k, hope this is alright, cus I hit 'reply' as all there is there is 'quote' and 'reply', no 'fast reply' that I can see.

Thanks though Katyjay, and hi to you in New Foundland,I was there about twenty years ago and thought it was a beautiful place.

And the people are so warm and friendly.

I am in Toronto myself, not so friendly I am afraid.

Georgygirl.

oh here it is, o'k I found it.

Never too old to learn I guess.

Georgygirl.

Truckstop.

I had 3 boy cousins who lived at the shop, Brian, Malcolm and Ronnie. Malcolm was a friend of rob237 when they both lived on Amesbury Circus.

Kath

hi katyjay,

regarding the wallpaper shop on vernon rd, there is noway i can remember the guys name.

i knew he had a brother, and his father chainsmoked.

regards dave

ps having a hard time navigating this site, but will persivere !englandflag!

Hi truckstop, I'm another transplant, only way south of you. The site is pretty easy to navigate, known harder, but have a few years playing with computers websites and forums, so fairly easy for me. As your probably aware, there are a few of us on this side of the pond. Got a couple of mates your side of the line, both to the west of you though, ones a member, but rarely posts, not even sure he does post here. They are both relics like me of the old National Coal Board.

My Dad was born "in middle of a zeppalin raid" at 510 Vernon Rd in 1916, lived there till 1939, I remember the wallpaper shop from 1970,s, if I remember correctly next to bridge over the Leen? at first got it confused with the hardware shop at end of block, for whatever reason the latter moved to where snooker club is/was up Arnold Rd, If their "choice" it was a bad one as it didn't last that long. Anyone remember the little sweet shop at side of the picture house? you used to go down steps into it and if a good downpour it would flood

Yes, the wallpaper shop [steve Clarke's] was right alongside the River Leen. When he first married my dad's sister [widowed in '51 when her husband was killed at Babbington pit] in '54, the shop was at least a double fronted one, but as the years went by, he bought the next shop and the next shop along, making it a good sized shop. I went by this place last year and all the shops have been turned back into individual houses again.

Kath

A Newbie, Newfie eh? !cheers!

Good to have you aboard. I'm same side of the continent but a long way South. Georgia.

Lived in Canada for thirty odd years. Hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk today.

Look forward to your posts.

Loppy

Oh now this is funny, you come on a Nottingham website, and you meet people all over this side of the Atlantic...only in Canada?

Georgygirl.