A few facts I stumbled upon yesterday while doing a search. It was sanctioned in 1920 at a cost of 700,000 pounds, first section was completed Sept 1925. Expansions from the original 30MW to 316MW. During the early 1960's every machine was running at max power 24 hours a day. It burnt so much coal, Clifton Colliery was stretched to keep up supply! The power station provided power for Nottingham and 47 sq miles surrounding it, closed in 1981.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think we all have a moan now and again don’t we? ….. and I quite like some of RR’s music videos! Perhaps the heat is making us all complain more?   I can ignore bad language as long as i

Perhaps RR you should start your own thread. You could call it WhinersRus, I’m sure you can keep us all enthralled with your foul language, continual moaning, insults and crap music videos...    

Think the sun must have got to a few? All I see is boring nonsensical drivel on here today  here have a token Nottingham post 1947 Wilford Power Station & Clifton Colliery.     

I can remember the power station when it had those smaller chimney's as well as the main one, it must have been in the 60s when they were dismantled and I think they either extended the taller chimney or built a new one, that would be around the time they increased output, I also remember every so often the "steam valves?" would blow off causing a very loud noise and frightening the life out of me when I was fishing top side of Clifton bridge

Rog

Wilford Power Station was a prime example of the kind of big projects Nottingham Corporation took in its stride in those days.

Look at the problems we have nowadays with a small scale undertaking such as the new arts centre in the Lace Market and then remember that at the same time Wilford Power Station was under construction the city was also building the Council House.

Nottm Corporation Electricity

The upgrades at Wilford were done by the CEGB in the early 60's to make it more efficient. I am sure they replaced both the boilers and the turbines in order to increase the capacity and efficiency. Typically in a station with 4 sets, three would be kept running and one would be down for routine maintenance. Of the three operating turbines, only one or two would be loaded all the time. The others were loaded up as demand from the grid varied. Each set would be taken down for at least a couple of weeks/year for internal boiler cleaning (removing the baked-on ash improves thermal efficiency), and then for a longer period every two to three years for turbine blade inspections and servicing.

After construction of Ratcliffe, the third set running to handle peak load was largely eliminated as Ratcliffe had four gas turbine sets which could be spooled up and loaded in a few minutes - as opposed to the several hours it takes to start up a boiler/steam turbine system. This was also much more efficient than keeping a lightly loaded boiler running 24 hrs just to supply peak demand.

• 2 years later...

I did my apprenticeship at North Wilford PS, starting in 1970. Worked there until 1978...many great characters. I remember there being 10 turbines from 10 MW built in 1928, to the 60MW MetroVic generator that was powered from boilers 21 and 22Builkt 1956. All up the generation was 314MWSO and I was privileged to witness full output. Additionally there was a 1MW house set. It was good training in the CEGB back then. There used to be an old wartime control room that over looked the turbine hall and some of the inner walls had wartime camouflage paint n them still- quite a maze in places.

In the entrance to the turbine hall there was a roll of honour to commemorate those who gave WWII service. I left this power station to work at Ratciffe in 1978 and left there in 1987 to emigrate to NZ. There was a station open day in 1978 ( I think) when there was a West Indian Steel band. had a go and was pictured in the then Midlands Power company paper.

Also remember with fondness the camaraderie and the brilliant breakfast available at the canteen.

I met my girl that was to become my wife there too. Happy memories.

• Upvote 1

Welcome, johnb-nz, you seem to be a newcomer.

If you aren't aware of it, take a look at THIS site, and in the Search section type in Wilford Power. It might bring back a few memories

I remember the place because, living on Clifton, we went past the Power Station on the bus into Nottingham.

In my earliest memories, it had six small chimneys and one big one like THIS

Then at some time in the 60s, a bigger big one was built and the six smaller ones were demolished, so it eventually looked like THIS

The above title raises a question, was there ever a Wilford South Power Station? (or East or West). No idea of year, mid 70's? but was working on the building of some cricket pavilion near Clifton Bridge and one morning watching a steeplejack on a chair type of contraction near the top of the big chimney, heard after dinner, he'd fell and been killed, we looked and could only see ropes hanging loose blowing in the wind

Hi John: My dad worked at Ratcliffe, but he may have retired by the time you went there - if you remember "Stan the Painter" - that was my father!

Yes, that's the answer.

Weird confusion. Wilford Power Station was so-called because it was near the village of Wilford. Clifton Colliery (which was literally next door to the power station) was so-called because it was originally owned/operated by the Clifton family from Clifton village which is a couple of miles up the road. Its name was nothing to do with where it was.

If the same system had been used for both, they would've been Wilford Power Station and Wilford Colliery.

And now they make pork pies and pizzas where the pit was

makes sense Brian, though raises another question, why was Clifton pit so called lol, far easier to call that too Wilford, unless maybe owners were based in said village ala Babbington

Clifton Colliery derived it's name from it's owners, the Clifton's. There's a statue of the old feller who had the pit sunk at side of the toll bridge. The family home is at Clifton at side of the Trent.

Also remember, when Clifton Colliery was sunk, there was no power station. All of it's coal was moved by rail down Colliery Road and joined the rail link through what became of the large wood yard at the top of Queens Drive.

The rails crossed what became the traffic island at the top of Wilford Road. No idea when they were pulled up, but probably after the power station was built, as all coal was railed into it with some going to household coal customers.

There is a pub opposite Snienton Market, nicknamed 'Marketside', Real Name Sir Robert Clifton?

Or am I getting the original name mixed up with a pub that was on Manvers St?

Whatever it was its now taken on its nickname...

marketside.jpg

By the 1950s when the power station and the colliery were operating side by side, there was quite a network of rail lines to serve both locations

As this demonstrates.......

clifton.jpg

All of it's coal was moved by rail down Colliery Road and joined the rail link through what became of the large wood yard at the top of Queens Drive.

The rails crossed what became the traffic island at the top of Wilford Road. No idea when they were pulled up, but probably after the power station was built, as all coal was railed into it with some going to household coal customers.

I can remember seeing the remains of the line at the junction of Queen's Drive/ Wilford Toll Bridge, where the line went into the old GC sidings which ran alongside Queen's Drive.

THIS shows the line with the Wilford Toll Bridge behind, but the line on this photo isn't marked on the map above

Clifton Colliery derived it's name from it's owners, the Clifton's. There's a statue of the old feller who had the pit sunk at side of the toll bridge. The family home is at Clifton at side of the Trent.

Also remember, when Clifton Colliery was sunk, there was no power station. All of it's coal was moved by rail down Colliery Road and joined the rail link through what became of the large wood yard at the top of Queens Drive.

Not quite right, Clifton's coal must have originally gone out to the Midland Railway as per the map, the Great Central near Queens Drive didn't arrive till 1897. I remember seeing the line that crossed the island but I never saw it being used. I believe it officially closed in 1962. I don't know when the rails were lifted.

When I posted the first map I hadn't noticed it didn't show the link to the GC lines on Queens Drive (and the line which is shown on the Picture the Past photo)

so here's an earlier map which shows the line from the Colliery going across what was then known as Colliery Road - later Queen's Drive - and you can see where the photo was taken

clifton2.jpg

Not quite right, Clifton's coal must have originally gone out to the Midland Railway as per the map, the Great Central near Queens Drive didn't arrive till 1897. I remember seeing the line that crossed the island but I never saw it being used. I believe it officially closed in 1962. I don't know when the rails were lifted.

I lived off Briar Street around 1960 and there was no sign of the rails back then. That was before Walsall Conduit warehouse was built on the piece of wasteland on Colliery Road.

Until fairly recently I wasn't even aware rails had been used from the pit, down the road and crossed the top of Wilford Road. Nobody I worked with mentioned them at Clifton Colliery.

Cliff, Colliery Road was different to Queens Drive.

Prior to Clifton Bridge, Colliery Road went from Wilford Road to the power Station, as the bridge was constructed Queens Drive was extended to the Bridge.

After that, Colliery Road was between Wilford Road and Hawthorne Street. It's original name was "Clifton Colliery Road" Clifton being dropped for some reason, no idea when, just before my time.

Walsall Conduits warehouse was built on a piece of wasteland between Colliery Road and Queens Drive, at the top of Briar Street.

I wonder if the track to the GCR was removed when Clifton Bridge was built and Queens Drive extended 1958 I think. The official closing date may be when BR realised it wasn't there anymore! The first map shows Clifton Boulivard being extended.

The second map is much older there dosn't appear to be a power station!

Incidently the first map dosn't show any direct connection between colliery and power station just two separate parallel branches from the main line. The wagons were pulled up the colliery line by the colliery loco then taken down the power station line by their loco. I dont know who owned the wagons, were they colliery internal wagons or main line wagons? I am not sure how much Clifton coal was sent to customers other than the power station (there certainly was some house coal and I believe some for small industialuse) or how much other collieries coal came to the power station. The photo showing the train at the end of Wilford Bridge was dated 1950.

Cliff, Colliery Road was different to Queens Drive.

Prior to Clifton Bridge, Colliery Road went from Wilford Road to the power Station, as the bridge was constructed Queens Drive was extended to the Bridge.

After that, Colliery Road was between Wilford Road and Hawthorne Street. It's original name was "Clifton Colliery Road" Clifton being dropped for some reason, no idea when, just before my time.

Walsall Conduits warehouse was built on a piece of wasteland between Colliery Road and Queens Drive, at the top of Briar Street.

The history of Colliery Road/Queen's Drive is more complicated than I realised, I'm sure you're correct !

I'd forgotten the name Walsall Conduits, but now you've mentioned it I remember it being built. A minor landmark for quite a few years.

My knowledge of the area is limited to going past on a bus from Clifton in the early 60s. Looking at the second map where the line crosses Colliery Road near the place marked Sports Ground, I can remember looking at that area and seeing space where track had obviously been removed some time earlier. I'd guess it was lifted in the late 50s

I'd hazard a guess the lines were ripped up when the road to Clifton Bridge was extended.

I think, but not sure, the coal wagons belonged to Clifton, as you say, our loco driver "pushed" the wagons to a certain point and were picked up by either the power station driver or a BR shunting driver. Our loco was an old saddle tank steam loco.

Maximum output I saw from the pit was 15,000 tons saleable. That was from the NEP when they used to post all notts collieries output. I'd imagine the power station took most of not all of that towards the end of 1967/8.

The coal was of poor quality, Tupton seam. (Low Main) Not sure if the power station bought other coal to blend with it from other collieries or not. We'd run out of coal form Deep Soft, Deep Hard and Piper seams, although Piper was almost anthracite, and the power station didn't like that coal when we supplied it, had to be blended.

Best steam raising coal in Notts was Deep Soft and Deep Hard seams. Although Cotgrave was working the Blackshale towards it's end.

The coal was of poor quality, Tupton seam. (Low Main) Not sure if the power station bought other coal to blend with it from other collieries or not. We'd run out of coal form Deep Soft, Deep Hard and Piper seams, although Piper was almost anthracite, and the power station didn't like that coal when we supplied it, had to be blended.

Best steam raising coal in Notts was Deep Soft and Deep Hard seams. Although Cotgrave was working the Blackshale towards it's end.

The Piper seam was high in Sulphur that's why they didn't like it. The Deep Soft, Deep Hard & Tupton seams were much lower in Sulphur. There were a lot of factors that determined which were the best coals, for power stations the temperature at which the ash fused was important, too low and trouble was caused, High Chlorine was not liked nor very high Sulphur. Different seams had different properties and the seams changed over the coalfield.